Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started my '51 Henry J on the cheap back in 2005. Two '51's were mine, just to go get them 100 miles away. A month later I was donated a 1986 2 wheel drive S-10 Blaser rolling chassis. Again for free. Got the best body of the two mated to the Chevy chassis.
That's as far as I got....Life got in the way. New house/garage/work shop, 3 kids to graduate from college, other projects, a business that would not run itself and a bunch of racing seasons .
Things have gotten quieter with kids now gone and having sold the business. Now it's time to get going on some of the old projects and this car is the next on the program along with many "honey do" things that I have been putting off.

I'll be posting pictures as soon as I can. For what ever reason this computer will not let me upload images, so I'll switch to the laptop and try again. It may be a issue with the provider, so bare (bear?) with me.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Yeah, looking forward to seeing what you've started out with! Retirement is great to spend time on project cars!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All it took was to master the possibilities to get my computer issues worked out...a new hard drive

Here is the S-10 chassis in my shop, and a day later with the body mounted. The rearend still needs to be centered in the wheel well, in this picture. Had to take the spare tire well out to get the body to set properly on the factory front rail mounts. raised the rear frame body mounts up about 2" if I remember correctly. I could have cut the floors to get the back of the body down, but I thought the stance was about right for a throw back project.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At the time I started this, I acquired two different V-6 engines. The first is a Ford SHO motor, and the second is a Ilmore Engineering Indy lights (Chevy)V-6. Both are very cool but both present challenges of plumbing and electrical systems.
I've got several other complete engines and blocks that I've been saving for other projects. Got a 392 hemi, a couple of 409s, a complete with all brackets/alt/starter efi 351(5.8) with AOD trans, Even recently acquired another V-6. A complete fresh carbed 4.3 with all brackets that could go straight in with a 5 speed attached and hydraulic clutch setup all bolted together. Not sure which way to go, as I wanted this one driveable by the time winter rolls around again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Wow Jayp. Decisions, decisions. The Hemi would be era cool. But boy that 409 with the blower would be really striking too. The way outside the box Indy Lights motor. Jeez, set up a dart board!

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
My choice would be the blown 409! Just not enough old W engines in hotrods today, and it would be a real eye catcher!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a fact.....I've got way more projects than time left in my life.
I've been hording vintage blocks and speed parts for almost 40 years. Wife 'sez she is going to have one hell of an auction when I'm gone.
What to do.... Time and money are now the issue. I've got other projects that are eating both. The Henry is to be a gift to one of my daughters. She is getting married in October to a guy that wants to be a hotrodder but really doesn't have a clue about gassers except for what I've showed him. It will need to be road ready by then, and it has to be reliable and be easy to work on and get parts for.
I'm the fabricator. My former business partner is an amazing bodyman (the '60 body is his work). The project hobby shop belongs to both of us. The upholstery guy is local and we trade out work all the time. What is going to be the quickest to put together will probably win out.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Wow. I'm impressed. Any one of these could be viable drivetrains. I agree with Vall. The 409 has my vote with the Hemi coming in a very, very close second. Only because the '09er already has the Huffer.

Mark

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been playing with a powder coating set up that I got from Harbor Freight. I must say that I'm rather impressed with the results for under $100. I bought a 4x4x4 sample drying oven from a commercial water lab that was upgrading for $25 and the gun set up with 4 different colors of powder was at $70 with the 25% off coupon. Could have a better ground strap and that will happen before I use it again.
I built these hinges this past week.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Looks very nice! I have a friend who bought the HF kit also, but uses an old kitchen oven with great results. If I wasn't cramped for space I'd get a surplus oven and the kit also. Amazing what guys can do with powder coating on the cheap at home!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At -17 outside last night and below zero for a high ever day, I'm getting stuff done in the shop over the last couple of weeks. Test fit. Not sure I like it. Means lots more firewall and floor work. The T-56 definatly will not stay and a HD TH400 is the plan. Now thinking a 454 might make it in the frame as I have other projects the 'niner could go in, and it's easier to get parts for a big block Chevy in Minot North Dakota than parts for a 409. ( Just try getting a ignition module at Auto Zone for a '63 409 with an hei in a '51 Kaiser).

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know a couple of guys that powder coat useing a garage sale toaster oven to do small gun parts and that works good too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Been helping my shop partner with a flat nose Vega he's building for his son. To be 16 with stuff like this. Pictures of the rearend fab work in my fabrication album.
I narrowed a free-be 31 spline truck 9" that we found to have 3.73s and a locker in it (great find!), CNC plasma cut all the 4 link brackets, cut the axels and had them resplined locally. took the stock big bearing ends and turned them to slip, fab'ed up the back brace and the watts linkage mounts. Reused the truck drum brakes. Welded spud ends on the adjusting links, then assembled the whole thing.
For quickie wheel tubs, we went to tractor supply and bought trailer fenders for 45 bucks, cut of one side, rolled a flange and tacked in a strip to increase the width. I'll get a picture posted of the wheel tubs ASAP.
Been a busy couple of weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
....... But boy that 409 with the blower would be really striking too.....

Would LOVE to do something CRAZY like that "409" in the Opel..... have seen quiet a few BBC engines in Opels before BUY NEVER a 409.... let alone one with a blower !!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What makes me reluctant to "give away" this particular 'niner is that it came from Joe Mondello. He did this set of tall port heads with the 8-71 blower for himself over 25 years ago and then had Bruce at Crower make a one-off roller cam, roller lifters and 1.82 ratio roller rockers for it. He bushed the lifter holes to relocate the lifters and re-plumbed the oiling system in the block and added Milodon saddles and girdle. My partner horse traded Joe out of this setup plus a second set heads with a different roller setup that Ed Donavan was having him make for a Bonneville project. Then I got it all in another trade. Never going to be another, so you can see my reluctance to let it get away.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes this particular Henry will be a wedding present to one of my twin daughters who is getting married next fall. The future son-in-law loves the idea of a hotrod. Although he is handy with tools and an exellent woodworker, he isn't really automotively inclined, as he grew up without a father figure in his life, thus the need for simplisity. He will have to learn how to troubleshoot and do repairs, like recently he learned how to mig weld with me looking over his shoulder. He can lay a good bead on 3/8" flat work and an acceptable bead on the vertical. Still looks like bird crap when doing upside down work, but it will come with time, as will working on the thinner gauge. He is willing and able to learn.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts