Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What insurance companies are you all carrying coverage with ?? I'm struggling with this and I've been reasearching for a while now.. I've been with State Farm for years and even have a couple on their "guaranteed value" antique plan.... I recently tried to insure my 72 pickup on the antique plan and they say it doesn't "qualify" under their guidelines. So that got me searching and I have some quotes from Hagerty, Grundy, and American Collectors for all of my antiques on the table now. They beat , or come , closeState Farm's price for the same coverage but I read BAD and GOOD about all and I know sadly enough INSURANCE doesn't usually have your best interest at hand. So... any thoughts or suggestions ??

·
Registered
146 Posts
In my situation, I use Grundy for coverage on my '34 Ford and on my '49 Studey gasser.
When I had it, I also covered my Buick Grand national through them and had to make a claim for a damaged front fender and bumper. They analyzed the damage, told me to take it to the shop of my choice, and paid with no problem. They even covered all the hard to find, expensive, one-of-a-kind parts. In fact they told me that if any additional issues arose while the damage was being repaired that they would pay that too.
My father in law also has Grundy and, unfortunately had to make a sizeable claim on his '32 Ford a couple years ago.
Grundy treated us VERY well. They paid with no problems and our rates did not go up.
These are just my experiences.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I have Haggerty for all mine, and although I have never made a claim, I have two friends who made claims. Both were handled fantastic! In both cases an agent was at their house within 24 hrs. of notification. Estimates were done, and both being totals, a check for the full amount was sent out quickly once Haggerty received their titles. Both were offered to purchase their cars back. But that's probably the only negative. Price to purchase their totaled cars was too high to consider, so both declined to buy them back. But both cars were auctioned and went for what Haggerty was asking, so probably a fair offer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies !! I too have never had to make a claim thankfully... Sounds like both are stand up companies and I have Read a lot of good about both. One of the things that I'm dealing with is I won't put 3000 miles a year on any of mine ever, but I don't want to be limited on when I drive them. Seems like the "drive to work" issue comes up ALOT.. I am a professional Firefighter, and I work 24 hr shifts. I like to drive mine to work from time to time and clean or mess around on it on the weekends or after working hours. Hagerty seems to have no problem with "pleasure" driving but seems like the "work" word causes some controversy?? I keep them in a garage so really have no other issues... I won't be anything but truthful with them about my intended use, modifications, or any other info for reasons of integrity and faith beliefs. I would expect the very same from them but I guess there's reason to be skeptical of some things...

·
Registered
146 Posts
The "work" word came up with my agent once, and she told me that if something were to happen there, it was "surely, an impromptu car show at work that day", and that would be covered.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Thomas I had State Farm and they couldn't come close to the quotes from Grundy. Even with multi policy plan discount. I have Grundy and my son has Hagerty. Haven't had to use either yet thank god. Grundy is more leanient towards activities. Modifications and so on. Racing is not covered. Have to roll the dice on that one. Good news is you can drive it to work on occasion as long as it's not your work daily driver.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Haggerty has no mileage limit, and only two caveats I saw as problematic with some car owners. Needs to be garaged when not in use, and not driven as a work vehicle. I specifically asked Haggerty about the work thing, as my question was what if a person is leaving directly after work to a car show or cruise? They said in that case the car can be driven to work because it's "on the way" to the car show. But if the trip starts and ends at home, it's commuting, and not attending a show. Errands are the same. But if you stop at a store to buy things to take along to a cruise or car show, it's not an errand.
I asked them about leaving the car outside at a show, motel out of town, etc., and that was OK as part of a pleasure trip to a show, etc. They're really pretty flexible, as long as it revolves around car stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts