Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The good sold my drag bike this weekend, the Bad to some one who really should not be behind the handle bars (he insisted and was at least 30 yrs old)the ugly, the air handler in my shop needs replaced as the unit fried on todays fall fire up, $900 not so bad, old unit no parts to fix......... the real Ugly and dirty I have to move the truck out of the shop witch means the dirty......I have to hang the front control arms and knuckles and wheels back on to move it..............aAAAHHHHH CRAP SOME DAYS ARE WORSE THAN OTHERS, or now you have some extra bucks for your project but not the one you where thinking off...well at least I wont be in the whole buying my wheels and tires

·
Registered
699 Posts
I hate when stuff like that happens. While my oh crap isn't as expensive as yours, both of my Craftsman 19.2 volt batteries have died. One I've had since about 2004, the other since 2011. I would rather be buying parts than batteries!

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Lash, sounds like the money came at a good time. Shop tools are important so take one thing at a time. You'll get there don't worry.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...... Mario its the air handler for my home heating hvac unit........tools I never mind buying....my house is a money pit.....and I to have to buy a new battery for my cordless drill....half the cost of the whole unit....wifes car got $500 in new tires today.......money is like water you drink it but it only gets pissed away

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Oh my bad. But the money still came at a good time anyway. I'm going thru the same money situation and I'm not retired. Probably won't be able to retire. But I keep chugging along and smile when I walk in the garage. It's my only sanity.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Had the batteries on my Porter Cable power tools die this year also. Got plenty of uses from them, but they were old. I did a quick search on Ebay, and found several sellers that had 2-3 batteries for the price of one locally. I gave about $60 for 3 new batteries; much better than the $50 for one around here.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Rigid

Hi Guys,
In my job, self employed handyman, I've had Craftsman, Makita, DeWalt and Ryobi cordless tools. All of the batteries have worn out and as many of you probably know it's almost cheaper to buy a new tool. Then I discovered Rigid with their LIFETIME warranty. I bought one of their 18 volt combo kits and an additional 18 volt hammer drill in March of 2006 and registered them on line. I use these tools on a daily basis and the quality is second to none. I've only had a problem with one of the tools, the hammer drill, and it was repaired no questions asked, now the good part; the batteries are also covered by the lifetime warranty. Two years ago I sent in all 6 of my batteries for replacement and within a week had 6 brand new batteries; it doesn't get any better than that.
If you never want to have to buy another battery for your cordless power tool look into Rigid.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve I have a Ridged table saw and It is top quality and was not cheap, but it was better built than my neighbors so call pro tool at twice the price thanks for the heads up, I may just replace my drill with a Ridged

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
I had a 14 volt Dewalt combo set of hammer drill and impact gun which i used on a weekly basis. Had them for 14 years. Last winter the batteries took a crap slowly on both. I lost 2 out of the 4 batteries I had. I went shopping for a replacement battery and it was 79 bucks on the home depot shelf. CraZY. NOT spending the price of almost 3/4 of one of the tools in the combo to replace it. So I went looking for a new combo set on sale. I picked up the dewalt 18 volt set off the shelf and started walking to the cashier, when there on the end cap was a porter cable set for 25 dollars cheaper. I dropped the dewalt and now Im a porter cable man. I love those guns. Led lights, fast charging lithium batteries and plenty of life between charges. I still have the dewalt case of emergency (I can't throw anything out) but I can't swap batteries and keep running with them like the porter cable units.
2 years ago I also needed an angle grinder. I have 3 units with different disks and abrasives from all the metal work i did on all three cars. One burnt out on me. Home depot had a lifetime Rigid unit. Its a little bigger than the others with an 8ft cord and I really can't one hand it like the makita and such but it really wales the grind stone with ease. comes in handy on the tuff stuff. So Im also a rigid man.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
My son worked for Grizzly tools, and got me the Porter Cable set. $150 for drill, circular saw, sawzall, flashlight, two batteries, and a charger. Only thing I wish it had was the lithium ion batteries.

·
Registered
922 Posts
A contractor friend of mine told me that lithium ion are great in fair weather, but don't hold a charge in cold conditions. He has to work in the cold a lot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts