Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was over this afternoon at a local racer's house to buy a pair of skinny American Torq Thrust wheels for the Falcon. Sitting in his garage is the fastest street legal electric drag car in the world! The White Zombie is a 750 hp electric powered car, with 1350 ft. lbs. of torque! In it's latest configuration it is just trying to bump into the 9 sec. range for the 1/4 mile! John just swapped the dual 8" motors for dual 9" motors, which will hopefully break that barrier to 9 seconds! John said his 60 ft. time is just over 1 second!
The builder, John Wayland, is presently helping on building the Black Zombie, which will be a more powerful electric powered '68 Mustang! The Mustang will have 1800 ft. lbs. of torque, so not telling how quick it will be!
The White Zombie has a range of 100 miles per charge if John keeps his foot out of it, but will easily break the tires loose on the freeway when cruising at 80 mph! Here's a neat link to one of John's passes, and the other Zombie being built in Texas. John's heading down tomorrow to do some tweaking on the Mustang.
http://jalopnik.com/is-this-750-hp-electric-mustang-fastback-sacrilege-1590258114
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apoeGMWF17c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rVTIpS5zb4

·
Registered
750 Posts
Interesting. Although I do not think that it will ever replace gas engines, I could definitely see a class for them. Too bad it does not make any noise! Just does not seem right.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Electric cars in drag racing are an oddity now, but I think it will be the reverse in the future. Probably not in our lifetime, but it will happen. Stop and think about how many dragstrips in populated areas have been shut down from noise complaints. PIR here requires all cars to run mufflers now, and none of the big NHRA events are run here because of that rule. If all the cars ran electrics, there'd be no noise to complain about.
I love gas engines, so I'm not endorsing electrics. Just saying our grandchildren will see it.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Vall, your post got me thinking about something other than the drag strip. I want to do so me research on how much power it takes to run those motors. My thought is to equip a truck like my 2500 Chevy with an electric motor since they make the torque right off the bottom. But instead of batteries, use a regular small gas or diesel motor to run the electric. Like a locomotive. It would all depend on how much of an electric motor you would need and how big of a motor to power it??? In my head it seems like a no brainer but there has to be something that creates a problem or I would think more people would do it? The small motor could give the equivalent of many miles per gallon. I also believe the biggest cost of electric cars are the batteries. Not to mention the weight. Does anyone have a thought on this? Or any experience with it?
Sorry for the thread hi-jack Vall.

Mark

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vall, your post got me thinking about something other than the drag strip. I want to do so me research on how much power it takes to run those motors. My thought is to equip a truck like my 2500 Chevy with an electric motor since they make the torque right off the bottom. But instead of batteries, use a regular small gas or diesel motor to run the electric. Like a locomotive. It would all depend on how much of an electric motor you would need and how big of a motor to power it??? In my head it seems like a no brainer but there has to be something that creates a problem or I would think more people would do it? The small motor could give the equivalent of many miles per gallon. I also believe the biggest cost of electric cars are the batteries. Not to mention the weight. Does anyone have a thought on this? Or any experience with it?
Sorry for the thread hi-jack Vall.

Mark

Not a hi jack at all Mark, but I can tell you why a gas motor, with generator wouldn't work. The normal running amps on one of these is about 35-40 amps if you're taking it easy. That would be a pretty good sized generator, and gas engine to power the generator. The other problem is in rush current, which can easily be 6-7 times that cruise amperage I mentioned! Without batteries to hold large ampacities that will carry your motor through the in rush current for initial takeoff from a dead stop, your generator would fall on it's face or trip the circuit breaker. This is why hybrid cars have the small engine, and a battery bank, to overcome the initial current draws.
John's Datsun pulls around 40 amps in street driving at steady speed, but at the drags he said the initial current draw at launch is close to 2,000 amps! A good example is the generators I used to wire in at mountain top microwave sites would power the site's 200 amp panel, with no battery backup. The engine on those was a 454 Chevy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts