Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we near the end of the car cruising weather, I'm always a little sad knowing it's going to be a long time between decent driving weather again! But I'm also excited to know it's good weather for working on car projects, and good weather to attend the various swap meets over fall and winter!
A few of us hit the first swap meet of the season today, and the excitement was high in anticipation of some neat finds! Everybody came home with something neat, although nobody spent big bucks, and I didn't find the elusive coupe I wanted for my next project!
Jeff picked up a couple nice chrome plated backing plates for his '56 Chevy rear axle for a paltry $10! My neighbor Mike got some little items, all at great prices. Bert got 4 doors for an Austin A40 for $40!!! I picked up a '36 Ford grille that's pretty straight and rust free for $60, and a knockoff of a Fluke meter that is for automotive work and has dwell, tach, volts, amps, ohms, temperature probe, numerous other functions, and like new for $10! Also got batwing toggle switches for $1 ea. Always need lots of those!
Weather was amazing, as the forecast was gray and drizzle, but it was sunny and warm all day! Can't ask for a better fall day than to enjoy it with friends and anything to do with cars!

·
Registered
699 Posts
I loved swap meets in the northwest. I haven't been to that many in the past ten years. Killeen had a good swap meet at a classic car junkyard. I love going to that place and walking around.

Great score on the parts! Deals like that make the day worth it!

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost forgot the other great purchase! Got a new in the box Cornwell table top solvent tank for $40!!! Small tank about 18"x12", with circulating pump/brush..

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
40 bucks for 4 doors ! ! ! What a buy...... :) I like hearing that :) Fall Carlisle is like in two weeks and I'm stoked :) and a week after is Hershey.... The last two big ones for Kate and I for the season. So I will stock up on supplies and hopefully find parts for the Grump and the 55 gasser. If I find a stray Willys I will shout ! ! :) ;)

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
It was a good day. I got a new intake for my '55. Edlebrock X-C8 cross-ram with 600 AFBs. I have a friend who is good at tuning multi-carb setups (he's a Mopar guy) so I hope we can get it to run well.

I also picked up a couple scoops from the Austin pick-up guy. I can't remember his name, is he Bert?

Also got a couple more MT valve covers. My initials so I had to get some for the Benz, kinda like signing a painting. :D

The weather cooperated but there weren't a ton of vendors. Saw some nice stuff. One guy had a late '40s woody wagon that looked like it just came out of storage. He had $140,000 on it. I hope it was a joke.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah Bert (Richies Scoops) makes those scoops, and they're pretty cool item!
Mike, did you see the blue '38 Buick coupe for sale in the parking lot at the south end? It was outside the swap meet, but I'm sure he drove it there, and it looked all stock! I think he had a price tag of $14000 on it?

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Yeah, did you see the one inside that sold for $3500? It was stock down to the paint. Needed a resto, but it was cool. We saw this truck at the Rib Eye. It looks like someone came up and grabbed it out of a barn. Last licensed in '78. Bias ply twin-stripe WW tires on Chrome stockies, SBC with a stick and headers. Straight out of '68. Cool find.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I think my son and I are going to the Pamona swap October 14th. About a 4 hour ride for us but at least I can say I did it. You guys are winding down and I'm just licking my lips thinking about getting started. You'd a thunk I was in dat dare Aurstalia or sumin'. All you Assies must be getting in gear too huh??? Good weather is coming for you guys. Mark L

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
It was a good day. I got a new intake for my '55. Edlebrock X-C8 cross-ram with 600 AFBs. I have a friend who is good at tuning multi-carb setups (he's a Mopar guy) so I hope we can get it to run well.

I also picked up a couple scoops from the Austin pick-up guy.
I have had a Edelbrock "cross ram" just like the one you found at the swap meet. It also has two 650 carbs on it. Ironically. it came off of a '55 Chevy ( w/283)

It's been hanging on the workshop wall for a LONG TIME. Once I get the Opel running with the Air Gap Performer & 750 Holley I plan to put on the cross ram. So I will be anxiously waiting to hear how the install of yours goes.

I have talked to others who are running this setup & none have complained about it. Kiwi Kev on the HAMB forum runs one on his '41 Willys.

I bought this manifold off of eBay 6-7 years ago for another project that I never finished...... sold the project but not the manifold. Nowadays these older manifolds are becoming part of the current "period correct" movement that hot rodding is going thru.

Great find.

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Missed the Canby Swap Meet while I was hunting. Haven't gotten a report on what I missed yet, but hopefully will catch up today to see what the guys got.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Carlisle is next weekend, and then Hershey. That to me means the close of the season, and not to hesitate on deals, cause they won't be there come spring. :) John you going to either event ? :)
I really wish we could go to Carlisle. I always enjoy going there whether it be for car or motorcycle event. akes 4+ hours for us to drive there from where we live. After walking around all day it would be a LONG RIDE back home. We have always done an over night (or two depending on the event) which gave us a chance to go back to the fairgrounds for a few hours or just leave for home "well rested".

We have another weekend filled with "gotta do's" in addition to a Autumn Party on Saturday evening.

Plus.... when we go to the "BIG SWAP" meets I really like to have a LOT of $$$$ with us. Not as much fun without having as much buying-power" as possible. Especially after having to drive so far to get to Carlisle.

From what I have heard it's tough to see everything at both Spring and Fall Carlisle in one day.

With all that is ahead of me with the Opel I am sure I could find LOTS of goodies and misc tools.

Which by the way is what I really need to get a few bucks together to get some metal working tools I have been wanting to get for quite some time.

Looking for a "bead roller" & "sheet metal brake" ..... preferably used ones

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I think my son and I are going to the Pomona swap October 14th. About a 4 hour ride for us but at least I can say I did it. You guys are winding down and I'm just licking my lips thinking about getting started. You'd a thunk I was in dat dare Aurstalia or sumin'. All you Assies must be getting in gear too huh??? Good weather is coming for you guys. Mark L
GO FOR IT MARK......

Pomona ...... like so many places in Southern California has "over-the-top" swap meets. Especially what us east coast guys are used to. In fact there are places (I believe Pomona is one of them) that has a swap meet EVERY MONTH.

No DOUBT..... the "hot rod capital" of the world.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hey John i'll keep my eyes open if ya want, for some sheet metal tools. There's usually some decent stuff down at Carlisle and Hershey ! !
Thanks Steve..... I assume you TXT MESSAGE & send pics.... I'll PM you my cell phone number.

I am hoping to find a used BEAD ROLLER..... one that someone bought & does not need any longer.

NOT JUST a "STOCK" Harbor Freight - Eastwood - Woodward Ave, etc, etc because I could simply buy on of them online & get the mods done to strengthen them myself without too much of a hassle.

Would like to find one with the MODS already DONE.... on a stand or possibly and upscale one for LESS $$$$ than the HF variety.

BEST PART ..... I am in NO HURRY to find one...... it'll be quite a while (a LONG WHILE) before I will actually need one. Which for a change will allow me (us) to find a "DEAL" on one for a change.

Needless to say those "GREAT DEALS" are out there..... case in point.... "my tube chassis".

A friend of a friend recently sold off all of his tools, etc for their upcoming MOVE to South Carolina ...... many of his shop tools he sold off for next to nothing.... some he actually GAVE away because he couldn't sell them. One piece was a bead roller!!!! :(

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Yes John I text and send pictures. That's all I use up at the shop anymore. My iPhone has an app ( photobucket ) that I can send pictures right from there to the Pbucket and on to this and other sites. Now I use my iPad because for some reason it loads them to the Pbucket blazing fast. Who would of thought ? ? This works out great in my shop when I'm working with customers that are from out of state and like to see updates. Mostly, when I'm making something and looking for an approval before I actually fasten the part for good.
I have to get in touch with a fellow I did a Willys for that he built a lot of his own parts and now that he is done with the car has no use for the tools. He is a doctor by trade and needless to say purchased quality tools and equipment. He was by the other day as he ran out of gas with his Willys and he hadn't drove it in more then a year. He says its sad but he has lost interest.
This is a Ray Barton Hemi powered street rod that you have to see to believe. Anyway back to the subject at hand he has a list of equipment that I remember.
Box and pan brake , roller, tig welder, hand shears . BEAD ROLLER, and stuff I don't remember. I call Rick this week and see if he still has any if not all left and interested in selling.
But between Carlisle and Hershey ya know there's something out there. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I think my son and I are going to the Pamona swap October 14th. About a 4 hour ride for us but at least I can say I did it. You guys are winding down and I'm just licking my lips thinking about getting started. You'd a thunk I was in dat dare Aurstalia or sumin'. All you Assies must be getting in gear too huh??? Good weather is coming for you guys. Mark L
Mark, you guys should go. I went to this one last year, the great ZR1 road trip (I even got to drive!). Scored my Fentons there for cheap. And the Aussies go there too! He sold his 435hp/427 tri-power setup to an Aussie at about 5am. It was a great weekend but very hot wandering around on the blacktop. I ended up getting one of those straw swap meet hats to protect my head, a ball cap wasn't enough. I wish that I could go this year but we have big doings on that Sunday so I can't. My bud with the ZR1 is going, his name is Terry. Not sure what he is taking, maybe his woody G-body wagon, to sell. Say hi if you see him.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I have had a Edelbrock "cross ram" just like the one you found at the swap meet. It also has two 650 carbs on it. Ironically. it came off of a '55 Chevy ( w/283)

It's been hanging on the workshop wall for a LONG TIME. Once I get the Opel running with the Air Gap Performer & 750 Holley I plan to put on the cross ram. So I will be anxiously waiting to hear how the install of yours goes.

I have talked to others who are running this setup & none have complained about it. Kiwi Kev on the HAMB forum runs one on his '41 Willys.

I bought this manifold off of eBay 6-7 years ago for another project that I never finished...... sold the project but not the manifold. Nowadays these older manifolds are becoming part of the current "period correct" movement that hot rodding is going thru.

Great find.
That's funny, John. I have been thinking of getting an intake like this since I first saw a post from you a while back that showed that intake on the wall.

I did the same thing, broke in the engine with the air-gap and 750. Now I'm going to switch over to the cross-ram. I know that the Air-Gap is probably a better HP choice, just like an automatic would be quicker, but the wow factor when opening the hood will be worth it. Just got the carb kits to rebuild them and a new distributor as the HEI that I had wouldn't fit any more. I hope to have it up and running on the stand later this fall.

Lots of irons in the fire right now. Finishing up the 'Benz, just got a '59 GMC pickup that I'm trying to do a quickie update to be able to drive it (new drive-train, Trans-Am front clip, new rear end/axle flip), still collecting parts for the '65 Riv., and of course the '55. I need to sell my '59 T-bird and the '74 GTO to get some cash to do the other cars right.

Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts