Gasser HotRod Forums banner

The Cobra Gasser Build!

14K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Timberline65 
#1 ·
Here we go! Get ready for some real silliness.

A couple of months ago I was basically GIVEN what was described as an old Cobra kit car that sits too high. Of course I couldn't say no....

I did a little research and found it to be an old McCutchen Cobra replica...50 were built from 1979-1983, and this is reportedly chassis #2. It already had engine/trans mounts for a SBC, as well as a C3 Corvette IRS and a Mustang II front end. (No pics of the front suspension-it's ugly, scary, poorly welded and going away)

See less See more
#2 ·
The moment it got dropped off I gave it what it badly needed. The rear wheels and tires are basically brand-new M/T "I" compound L60-15s that have been in my living room for 20 years. The fronts, a perfect pair of original Pro-Tracs on some old Weld Pro Stars that were given to me and were serving as office decoration. I know the fronts aren't period correct, but there's something to be said for literally cheaper than dirt. ;)

Net cost so far...$0.00

#3 · (Edited)
Well, it seems you have a great start, and cost wise your really in the lead. I have a Cobra body outside that a customer has been contemplating a gasser build. Hopes, if so we can share notes, or if ya start yours first I can dangle the picture in front of
Him as a ( see I told ya so ) :D thanks for posting.

#6 ·
Got a name for it already. Painted on a curve "GaSSSSSSSSSSSrrr!! But you don't have to use it, LOL. I'm glad you started the project thread. It'll be great watching it all come together. This will be one to watch. Love it. This will make two sports car builds along with Marios MG. Great things come in small packages. Hey, if you or Mario ever need a trailer. I can fit at least one of yours in my trunk, LOL.

Mark

#7 ·
Heheh. I'm still working on a name...but I want to get some logos with a cobra holding the Corvette flags!

Here's why...an old friend of mine came up with this for me...a 327 pulled as a runner from a 1965 Corvette years ago, a lumpy old solid-lifter cam with the matching lifters, and a Mallory YL dual-point distributor! I owe him $250 for all this. :cool:

A few days later, I unloaded a few leftover parts from another customer's build on CL, and parlayed the cash into a brand-new Weiand tunnel ram. I actually made $50 on the deal. Net cost so far: $200.00

#8 ·
Alright! Now let's get up to date and to the fun pics.

Carbs and linkage for the tunnel ram came straight off of my old Doug Nash Pontiac intake I've had for years. (LOOK Mark!)

At this point, I just couldn't wait another moment to mock it up. In the back of my home garage is (was) a TH350 with zero miles, the spare for my stock car. It all slipped right in...more or less...

Here's where I couldn't stop giggling for the rest of the afternoon. No turning back now!

Even better with velocity stacks! Total cost so far: still $200.00

#13 ·
Slodrive---must--- have---Doug----Nash----Tunnel----Ram----must---have---mus----ha---Beep. Wow. That looks like the early magnesium manifolds. The only thing that stops me from crying when I see you with that is the fact that my motor is so HOT!!!! the magnesium would just spark and incinerate itself. Now don't argue with me because this is a coping mechanism, LOL.

P.S. Now on closer examination it looks more like aluminum with that corrosion on it. But I'm not changing my above story because it would not be silly with out the magnesium.

Are you setting on any other old Pontiac memorabilia? Last year I found a '59 Pontiac 389 on Craigslist with '61 first year Super Duty heads on it. I paid $250 for the complete motor and sold the heads for $1500, the clutch and bellhousing for $250, the block for $250, and I still have the early 4 barrel cast intake to sell and it had blown a rod at some time in it's life. The broken rod was replaced by one of the '63 good SD rods that I still have.

Mark

#14 ·
I think that's about the coolest Pontiac part I have Mark. It's just an alum....never mind, I'll let you keep your coping mechanism in place, haha! I've never had any SD/RA stuff, even in my Judge. Just old junk and every kind of Edelbrock intake you can imagine.
I miss my old Pontiacs! Don't get me all sentimental or I might start working on them too...and then NOTHING will get done!

Greg

#18 · (Edited)
I have seen a Cobra kit car being built so I have a good IDEA what holds them all together. A pretty simple design.

My Opel weighed 1785 lbs from the factory. Pretty light weight for a station wagon. Even so the pounds add up when light weight cars are fitted with a V8 drivetrain - full frame or tube chassis instead of a unibody - roll bar/cage etc

I'd guess the Cobra weighs around 1500 lbs so far.

#19 ·
Heheh. It weighed almost 1400# before I even dropped the engine/trans in! This car's got a pretty beefy frame and thick 'glass compared to some other kits I've seen.

We're right at about 1900# now, but the good news is that 53% of that's on the rear wheels. Looks like I'll be getting the 1000# leaf springs!

#20 ·
Here are just a handful of photos of Mini-Gassers, based on sports car bodies, that I'm using for inspiration for my MGA Gasser project. Maybe they'll do the same for you. Hope so, your project is just SO Cool ! !

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/TeamEvil/library/Mini-Gassers?sort=3&page=1

I'm a bit inept with Photobucket, so there are duplicates and different size photos of the same cars. Sorry, still learning, and at MY age . . . !

#22 ·
OK, after seeing your handle--SlowDrive--I just had to rewrite a song for you guy. Plus your a Pontiac guy, even more reason. LOL.

SlowDrive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcCNcgoyG_0&feature=related

SlowDrive, take it easy, SlowDrive, in my Cobra
SlowDrive, take it easy, SlowDrive, in my Gasser

I’m in the mood, the engine sounds right
Roll to the thunder, we can cruise all night
Oooh, oooh, SlowDrive - oooh, oooh ...

SlowDrive, drivin’ easy, SlowDrive, drivin’ easy
Southbound, downtown, got to keep it rollin’ in slow time
Rollin’, rollin’, SlowDrivin’ drivin’ gassers are so fine

Woo!

I’m in the mood, the night air is right
Roll with the thunder, yea, we can cruise all night, yea
Oooh, oooh ...

SlowDrive, take it easy, SlowDrive, in my Gasser
Southbound, downtown, got to keep it rollin’ in slow time
Rollin’, rollin’, SlowDrivin’ shows you a good time

SlowDrive, easy, SlowDrive, creepin’ - SlowDrive, easy, SlowDrive, creepin’

Southbound, downtown, love to keep it rolling in slow time
Rollin’, rollin’, Slow drivin’ Gassers are so fine

SlowDrive, love the rumble - Slowdrive, in my Cobra
Slow down, downtown – Southbound, ‘round town

Oh come on baby, take a Slowdrive with me,
Come on baby, take a Slowdrive.
OH feels good, mmmm, feels so good, I like it yea,
It feels good, oh It feels alright!

We’re gunna roll it all night - You know the feeling is right -aw
We gotta cruise it all night - We gotta roll it all night -
You know the feeling is right, yeah, we gotta roll it all night,
You know the feeling is right, we gotta roll it all night.
Whoa, c'mon now
Woo, Yea, Woo, Woa!

Elevate my ride yeah, Elevate my ride yeah,
Elevate my ride yeah, Elevate my ride.

Oww!
Woo!

SlowDrive! Yea!

Enjoy or shoot me, heh, either way it's yours now.

Mark

#23 ·
SLODRIVE: Your car was built in 1978 for Billy by Jim McCutchen. Not only did Billy purchase the 2nd car but his finished car is the last one Jim built in 1983. If you should need anything for the car or would just like to talk about your build you can contact me. I spent 7 years with Jim learning all I could about his creations as I am the owner of the tooling for these cars now with plans of producing them again after all of the updates are finished. P.S. I live about 20 minutes south of your shop. Mark 720-988-3480

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.