Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the first chance I've had to get the car out of the garage since last September because of working on it and not being able to move it at all, so I thought I'd share a couple of pics with you. Sometimes things look ok close up untill you get the chance to stand back and take a look. I think I'm well chuffed so far.
Anyway, here's a few shots...

Right, now on to try and finish it!
Micky T.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I like it a lot. I especially like that the proper width front axle was used and not the narrow one. Did you have a running thread on another board covering getting it from USA and then doing your modifications? Seems I've read about your car and watched it's progress. Unless I've mixed it up with another car? Love the Chevy and what you've done. I bet it is a blast to drive. Mark L

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm glad you like the axle width, it was a major thing to me to get this looking right. I'm going mad waiting for the day when I can fire it up and put some miles on it, shouldn't be to long now as I reckon I'm on the home straight to getting her finished! I've tried to keep a diary of my build up on TriFive Gasser's, it's nice to get a comment or two and to look back yourself when it's finished.
Thanks,
Micky T.

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
With computers and digital cameras it sure makes it easier to take lots of pictures. In the old days I always limited the number of pictures just because of the cost to develope them, and store them. Much easier to keep them all on a Zip drive now, and not have any cost to develope.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That is just sooooooo cool ............. what a great ride ............. you've done beautiful work :cool::cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Things have moved on a bit now although still not quite finished. I've got the exhaust fitted and it sounds great, it's got a gorgeous low burble to it through the 'Dynomax' mufflers and the devil breaks loose obviously when you uncork the headers, there's a polished rollcage inside, more for looks than abiding by certain racing rules, but it's strong and looks the part anyway, it's had a lot of work done at a friend of mine Bry Whitfield's to help me catch up a bit time wise and it's now time to get it home so I can start work on it again. So I went to collect the car, my emotions outside are 'Joe Cool', I'm trying to keep calm but inside there's fireworks going off! It's sat there ready to go on the trailer when I got there, The new side trim looks great, there's new fuel and brakes lines all round, tracking geometry, linelock etc, oh absolutely loads of work done and a lot of parts to go with it. My pal who'd done the work said, "fancy a run round the block?", I was in before he finished his sentence! So off we went with Bryan driving, holy moly, he launched it down the road, I soiled myself while he's smiling his head off, it's loud, it's bumpy, boy is it thirsty, but it goes like a scolded cat and whips the tyres up at 30mph easily!!! Basically I don't care, it's in your face and it's mine! It's what I've wanted for years, I've always wanted a hellish loud and quick street car and now I have, it's first maiden voyage was around the very bumpy back streets of Sheffield and I'm sure it won't be nowhere near as harsh once I've ironed out a couple of things and driven it on a decent road. It's on the button and sounds really strong and pretty quick as well which is a bonus! There's still a load of work to do to finish it but at least I'm a lot closer, I'll try and keep you upto date as to what's going on with the car and post a couple of pics along the way, but I just gotta say a massive thanks to Bry Whitfield for getting the old girl back on the road again and also to Ray Young for trailering the car back and forth with only five minutes notice. THANKS GUYS!!!
Here's a few pics so far...

First problem is it's leaking petrol from the lower gasket on the carbs because of the engine being stood for so long they've dried out, could well be why it's so thirsty?
People seem to be spending a bit more now after the nightmare financial climate we've been suffering, so I'm busy at work a lot more now and can't dedicate myself to the garage as much as I'd like to get the car totally finished, but I shouldn't complain, because without wages from work I wouldn't be able to finish it and also go to California later in the year with the wife, it will definitly get finished now I just know it, perhaps not quite as quickly as I'd like but heh. So in the meantime, it's back to work because I have to and hotrod when I can.
Right, back in the garage for now,
All the very best,
Micky T.

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
The new 150 side trim looks perfect! Really sets off the car, and gives it a finished look.
Sounds like you're having a lot of fun, and more to come soon! Can't wait to see more pictures and maybe a video too!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm still shaking!!!!!!! :eek:
A pal of mine Digger came round for the day and we went through every nut and bolt on the car, checked over everything we could think of. Once we were happy all was ok we finally fitted the bonnet, slight adjustment to the fuel pressure gauge that caught on the ali surround and we're done. "Time to take it for a run" he said, to be honest I was pretty scared at the thought, but I fired it up and the maiden voyage was underway, I took it down the back lanes round the village, found a straight road and nailed it, it handled alot better than I expected and god is it quick! I got back and was trembling with nervous excitement afterwards. I could see Digger wanted a run so I headed off again with him in the passenger seat, found the same bit of road, stopped and checked all was ok, flicked the linelock and gave it a boot full, when I looked in the mirror the country lane was full of tyre smoke, mmmmm, my first rolling burnout! It wants to spin the wheels in the first two gears untill you back off. So when we got back home this time he got out shaking like a leaf. His only comments were, "holy crap that's quick!" I had to agree, now I'm not saying it's the fastest thing on the block, but it is by far the fastest car I've ever owned. So after a tidy of the garage, the car is now away and awaiting the mot day, tax and a trip to John Sleath's to see exactly what he can screw out of it on his rolling road, should be very interesting to see the outcome of that!
Here's a short video...

'Turn your volume way up'.
Hope y'all like it?
Cheers guys,
Micky T. :cool:

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Pics are one thing but watching it and listening to it is the ultimate experience. Welcome to brute power Mickey. There's nothing like real muscular torque. I bet you were not only shaking but I bet you had a mile wide smile too. First time I got on my Trans Am after I installed the turbo, and the boost came up. My right leg was trembling and my smile looked like one of the those distorted baby pics. You could have parked my Trans Am in my mouth, LOL. Greatjob and congrates on your ride. IT IS FANTATIC!!!

Mark (torqueless in Phoenix) L

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Having spent some time in Europe on all of those "cobble stone roads" I can only imagine how your '57 turns heads as you drive by!!! HA!!!!

Looks GREAT..... sounds GREAT..... thanks for the video!!!!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Awesome job! Congratulations on a great Gasser. Thanks for the video

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Put a bit more lettering on it today... Any good?

Going to add a bit of pinstriping to the hood and trunk area and that's about it then.
Micky T.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts