Gasser HotRod Forums banner
161 - 180 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
If you're using a 110 welder it's probably going to have to be turned all the way up (to weld the thick steel you'll be using) and in need of a dedicated 110 circuit. I don't imagine the circuit in a parking structure is going to be much more than a 15 amp circuit and thus be prone to flipping the circuit breaker. Vall will be more versed on this than I because I think I remember him saying he has an electrician background. I don't know if these can be rented but a company I worked for had a small portable unit that was powered by a 10 horse B&S motor and really welded well.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
If you're using a 110 welder it's probably going to have to be turned all the way up (to weld the thick steel you'll be using) and in need of a dedicated 110 circuit. I don't imagine the circuit in a parking structure is going to be much more than a 15 amp circuit and thus be prone to flipping the circuit breaker. Vall will be more versed on this than I because I think I remember him saying he has an electrician background. I don't know if these can be rented but a company I worked for had a small portable unit that was powered by a 10 horse B&S motor and really welded well.
I'd expect it to likely be a 20 a. circuit Steve, as most parking structures wouldn't usually have a 15a. plug circuit. But if the welder is a 120v. mig like my Miller 140, it will still trip the 20a. breaker if you run much of a bead. And especially so if the outlet is very far from the panel where the breaker is!
I had to run a 30a. circuit with #10 wire for my duplex, (which is cheating) to get rid of the nuisance tripping, and be able to get much nicer welds. After I did that the 140 really made much better welds, and no tripped breaker at all.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
yeah, ive had the breakers pop if i weld too long without a break.
but the welder itself hits duty cycle before that usually. im using
an outlet in the washroom, its also got 4 seperate 220s for 2
washers/2dryers (they dont work when the breaker pops either)
so i dunno if its got a higher than normal amperage deal....

and if the washers and dryers are going, i cant weld or it will
pop breaker almost immediately.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
This is what I was talking about re: a portable welder. 170 Amp Portable Gas Welder Rental | Sunbelt Rentals
If you have everything cleaned, cut and ready to weld you could probably get a lot done in one or two days especially since you wouldn't be worrying about blowing a circuit breaker, JMHO.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Glad whoever owns the property is OK with you building there!

yes, luckily for me my moms side of the family owns the building
and im the psuedo "manager" (although managers usually get
paid... but never look a gift horse in the mouth, right?) on site.

so although i cant get TOO crazy, i do get away with a lot of stuff
i couldnt get away with anywhere else.

:)(y)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
looks
This is what I was talking about re: a portable welder. 170 Amp Portable Gas Welder Rental | Sunbelt Rentals
If you have everything cleaned, cut and ready to weld you could probably get a lot done in one or two days especially since you wouldn't be worrying about blowing a circuit breaker, JMHO.

gnarly, not sure anyone here rents this kinda stuff.
plus i already have the 110 lincoln, seems to work
fine so far.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
well, 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. ordered speedway axle 2 years ago, only opened now.
missing spindles and kingpins. speedway says tough [email protected] $417 after shipping, for parts
I ALREADY paid for but Never received.

yeah, yeah, I know--shoulda opened on receiving.
shoulda, woulda, coulda.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
well, 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. ordered speedway axle 2 years ago, only opened now.
missing spindles and kingpins. speedway says tough [email protected] $417 after shipping, for parts
I ALREADY paid for but Never received.

yeah, yeah, I know--shoulda opened on receiving.
shoulda, woulda, coulda.
I've seen this happen with several friends, but not just with Speedway. Almost every company will have a time limit on missing parts. Speedway is actually much longer than many. When I bought the axle kit for my Austin I opened it to check everything, but didn't begin assembly for 6 months. When I got to the nuts and bolts hardware I was missing caliper allen bolts, plus some other small hardware. Called them up, and the gal asked for part numbers for what was missing, and after I gave them to her she said they'd send them right out at no charge; not even for shipping.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
trying to keep the momentum going......
just mocked up, but i got lucky and the front
spring hanger has 2 holes and one just
happened to line up with a bumper bracket
hole in the frame.

im CERTAIN that the factory frame holes and speedway
machined holes in bracket are WAY more accurate
compared to my measuring, marking, and drilling, so...

a 3/8-16 bolt, couple hardened washers and a nut
on each side positively locates both springs pretty
much dead nuts even. yay! hopefully soon there will
be more to follow.......

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Bumper

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I'd suggest fabricating your own rear shackles and mount. The Speedway shackles and mount are pitiful, and wimpy. I tossed them, and built something more substantial for my Austin.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
my neighbor donald had a manual protracter/angle finder. i had a bubble level.
between the 2. i rolled kingpin housing back 10 degrees (to compensate for
when iron head rat motor goes in...) and tacked the axle in place....

heres hoping the "magical brown truck of happiness" shows up with spindles &
kingpins tomorrow......

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
Doubt you'll lose much angle when the engine is set in. Maybe 1-2 degrees at most.

well i did mount springs with shackles to the rear.
and i was also thinking of when you chop the throttle
after a 4 gear blast, im sure theres some mathematical
equation between every inch the spring compresses
vs how mush caster you lose as the axle moves rearward,
and the spring flattens out--but i aint thet smart...

🤪

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
well i did mount springs with shackles to the rear.
and i was also thinking of when you chop the throttle
after a 4 gear blast, im sure theres some mathematical
equation between every inch the spring compresses
vs how mush caster you lose as the axle moves rearward,
and the spring flattens out--but i aint thet smart...

🤪
I doubt the shackle moves much. But either way the effect will be near zero. Hitting a bump will likely change kingpin angle far more than letting off the throttle. But neither will have little effect on geometry as they're temporary reactions, and wont last long. Need to set things up for what happens 99% of the driving, not for the 1%.
Until you've got tires and wheels on the front, and have it sitting on the ground, there's really no way to accurately set kingpin angles. I'd leave it tacked for now, but plan on not welding it until it's sitting on all 4 wheels at ride stance.
The shackles on the rear tell me you're planning on front side cross steering maybe? I try to put the shackles on the opposite side I run my drag link, and steering, so it's not pushing/pulling sideways on the shackle side.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
i figure every time i chop throttle, every time i hit brakes,
every time suspension moves i will lose some caster.
so i erred on the side of "better stiff steering than a darty
car".

still not sure on steering, ill burn that bridge when i get
to it.

:giggle:

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
i figure every time i chop throttle, every time i hit brakes,
every time suspension moves i will lose some caster.
so i erred on the side of "better stiff steering than a darty
car".

still not sure on steering, ill burn that bridge when i get
to it.

:giggle:
If this was true, then every time you hit a bump the same thing would happen. And hitting bumps would likely happen more often. It just doesn't have that much affect on kingpin angle for either chopping the throttle or hitting bumps. Now things like toe in, or drag link angle will have far more effect, and drag link angle will be affected greatly by bumps, or throttle. And throttle up or down will both affect bump steer if the drag link isn't fairly flat.
You wont have a "darty" steering from the kingpin angle changing, but you can have a darty steering from one without enough kingpin angle. On the other hand, when you go over 7 degrees the car will tend to turn harder, especially at slow speeds, or when backing up. I'd try to keep it at 7 degrees, but only weld it once everything is sitting on tires, and wheels, and the engine and trans is in it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
got it roughed in enough to put it back on the ground.
glad its just tacked for now, as it went from 10 degrees
static + caster, and just the weight of car without motor
moved shackle back from 90 degrees to 45 degress,
and caster from +10 to +8.

i may need to add a leaf or two in the front leaf packs
once motor & trans are in....

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Hood

161 - 180 of 185 Posts