Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to install a tunnel ram on the jeep, then I thought maybe I should add a bigger cam, once I made that decision I thought heads would be nice, then I thought holy crap then does it end. I have a disease.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I just got done with the tunnel ram, heads and cam swap, I used a weiand tunnel ram, Edelbrock E210 heads and a Voodoo cam, Carbs are the 450cfm holleys, I installed 50cc pumps #42 squirters with hollow screws. While I was at it I also installed a 10" converter, 3000 rpm stall. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!! even though I still have lots of tuning to do to make a tunnel ram some what work on the street.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Sounds like you installed a lot of great parts, and started out with the right changes to the 450's to get into the ballpark, so I'm sure it wont take much to get it dialed in!

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
JP, you did a great job on the install. I love the stacks and air filters. I was thinking of doing that on the MG.
One thing leads to the next , a vicious cycle and then you turn the key........... Total gratification....
Hope all goes well
Mario

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well its been over a month now since I installed all the new parts and did some tuning and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it, the car draws big crowds every where I go and it's a blast to drive. I almost didn't go with the tunnel ram because of all the nay sayers who don't know how to tune and just repeat all the negative stuff they hear through the grape vine. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't easy, installing a tunnel ram is a commitment in time and money. You can't install one of these on a bone stock motor right out of the box and expect it to run like a raped ape. These take lots of patience, testing, tuning and re tuning. I guess the point of this long winded story is you can tune a tunnel ram with the 450 holleys to work on the street, don't get me wrong and think it will be the ideal set up for the street but if this is the look you want then go for it and have fun. I went with a fairly big cam and heads, 208 intake valves and 210 runners, it still is lopey at 40 mph but no matter what rpm I'm at the throttle response is instant, from idle to 6000 rpm. There is no bog at low rpm or lack of torque. If some one is looking for a start on a set up this way worked great for me. Also I run a flame thrower distributer with the light springs, 14 degree limiters and 36 degrees total advance, this helped a lot. Even now I still think there is more to be had, my next investment is a wide band O2 sensor and a good vacuum gauge to do some fine tuning on the power valves and jets. But for now it lays long black strips of rubber with out having to power brake and I can't stop smiling when I'm do it, also it scares the crap out of the old lady.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Hard to beat the look of a tunnel ram, except maybe a 6-71 blower! But I love both my tunnel rammed cars, and wouldn't ever go back! Glad yours worked out, and scares the wife! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts