Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since this is a gasser site, it is kind of weird for me to post about T buckets but just a short question from those of you with the experience.

I came very close to buying this car a while back, because I have always liked these cars too since I was a kid, who doesn't?

I drove 1000 miles round trip to find you needed to be a midget pretty much to drive one. Is that true of all of them? I mean this is one very cool car, and it has a 383 stroker with tunnel ram and two Holleys and wheelie bars out back.

I was to drive it, but could not sit behind the wheel hardly at all. I only weigh 170 and 6'0 tall. Guess you must be shorter with out the steering wheel being tilted all the way forward, and climbing in on the passenger side.

My left leg was pulled up tight against its self pointing straight up, and my right leg spread out so far I could just barely touch the pedals with the side of my shoe. A big disappointment to me, so again is this normal for your Wheel Tire Car Automotive tire Hood Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Steering part average T Bucket?

I had to pass on it. Its still available if you can fit in it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
T Buckets are confined but some are worse than others. Originals Model Ts weren't as bad so it has alot to do with how the modern parts are fitted.

The funniest description I ever heard about someone in a T Bucket was "It looks like a monkey having sex with a football"

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T Buckets are confined but some are worse than others. Originals Model Ts weren't as bad so it has alot to do with how the modern parts are fitted.

The funniest description I ever heard about someone in a T Bucket was "It looks like a monkey having sex with a football"
LOL! My dad used to say the same thing about stuff that looked out of whack to him. It is a cool car to LOOK at! And for $32.500 you can take it home and look at it and remind your self how cool it is! You just cant drive it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Im 6ft and had my T for 12 years, look how low I sit in it. They don't have to cramped.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks you guys. I guess the steering column sticking up from the floor board should have been a clue for me. Glad to hear there not all so cramped.

·
Administrator
13,536 Posts
I'm not a bucket T fan, but I certainly can relate to cramped. Although I'm not uncomfortable in my Austin, it's not much more room than a bucket T. It's only 42" wide inside, and two bucket seats nearly touch each other. My legs can't ever stretch out, or really change position much, so on a longer drive, I do occasionally stop just to stretch my legs, as I can get road weary constantly keeping them in one position.
A car like my '63 Falcon, or your Nova, actually feels like a big luxury ride with all their extra leg room!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not a bucket T fan, but I certainly can relate to cramped. Although I'm not uncomfortable in my Austin, it's not much more room than a bucket T. It's only 42" wide inside, and two bucket seats nearly touch each other. My legs can't ever stretch out, or really change position much, so on a longer drive, I do occasionally stop just to stretch my legs, as I can get road weary constantly keeping them in one position.
A car like my '63 Falcon, or your Nova, actually feels like a big luxury ride with all their extra leg room!
Yes sir, the Nova has real comfortable seats and plenty of leg room, never sat in back. I was looking for a Falcon like yours but either they were total junk or out of my price range. I didn't realize it was that tight in your Austin. And as well for some reason I didn't think your car was street legal, it looks race ready!

·
Registered
922 Posts
I just spent quite a bit of time yesterday making a new seat riser for my '36 Ford pickup trying to get a little more leg room. I went for a ride tonight and it seems a lot better but when I got out, my right hip still hurts quite a bit. I think if I re-make my spoon pedal, I can improve it some more.

There's a T Bucket around here that belongs to a guy that is or was an NSRA Rep and its said he's put over 300,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if there had been any way I could have fit behind the wheel of that beautiful T and thought I could actually drive it more than 5 miles at a time with out going on pain meds I was going for it!

It was really detailed and even had art work on the oil pan of a screaming skull in flames and had red lights to light them up at night. All the useless things a child like me goes nuts over! I'm glad to hear that its possible to have a T bucket and not be little to drive it.. The guy that was selling it was about 5' 6" he fit . I don't think I saw any pictures of your truck, a 36 no less wow.

Oh here is the walk around video I did of that T bucket. You can see my right knee sticking up and that was the comfortable side! I liked to never got my old butt out of it. http://youtu.be/tFe9r_BFo0M

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I have sat in a few I didnt fit at 175 6ft, The few people that I have know that had them, drove them very little compared to some body with a coupe body car, witch can be cramped as well, most only keep them a few years when the limited fun factor wares off, there kind of a show, cruise night, pit mobile I would not own one. And I can get a great deal on one down the street from me that was built then left to set with about 80% of the hard work done, I also saw one t boned so I will never ride in one any more,.............very sad day

·
Administrator
13,536 Posts
Bucket T's are pretty cheap to buy around here, and I always figured it was partially because they're cheaper to build, but also because there's not enough people wanting them. I almost bought one with the plan of tossing the body and grille, and using the chassis and drivetrain to build an altered coupe on. Figured it would save a ton of time, and money to use it.
Yes, both of my gassers are street legal. My Austin had 10,000 miles on it by the time the build was 2 years old!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts