Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I sold my 51 Dodge, bought a 40 chevy coupe I had tried to buy once before. This won't have a straight axle, got a complete Mus II front susp with it. Going with a 8.8 rear end and going to build my own chassis. Not really considered a gasser I guess, but really like this site, so I hope you don't mind. Going to go with a tilt front end. I will try to share a few pics, build will be slow, I've been real busy in the garage at home. I bought 2 15x10, Fenton Gyro wheels the other day for $100, pretty nice shape. Then I found a nice cross flow alum rad for $25. I got decent money out of the Dodge, and only have $1500 in the 40, so I figure my luck is going to run out soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got a start on the chassis today, when I get a little farther along, I'll post some right side up pics. I'll even show you my poor man's frame jig. This week, I got to get caught up around here, hopefully.

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
My first gasser was a 1940 Chevy coupe with a 413 Mopar wedge, and 727 trans. It was a real learning experience, but tons of fun at 18 yrs. old!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's not mean, I never really liked the looks of the Dodge, plus I'm a chevy guy to start with. Now if I could just get time to work on it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, change of plans, BIG tires, narrowed rear end, afco coil overs, 4 link. It is really nice to have good friends, got all this from him and I could not have done it without him. I need to identify the rear end. It has bolt in after market axles, I'll post pics, and will get more when I get it all home tomorrow. Fenton Gyro 15x10's will be for sale. I can't get anything to up load, I just put these pics on another site. Anyway, the tires, M/T 31x18.50, 15's, 15x14 gm rally, going to use the flat caps and narrow trim rings. The rear end is a drop out, has a 1330 gm yoke, and I wish I could post a pic to see if anyone knows what it is. The axles are double bolt pattern, and the drums look to be ford. They are big, 11x 2 1/2 or so, won't know until I get it home.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turns out the rear end is a 57 to 64 olds, pontiac. I'll get it home and tear it down and see what I got. It's been a good day.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Glad your happy and hard charging ahead with the 40....but I really liked the dodge better ...mainly the work you did on it made it cool......

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Hope you don't narrow the rear so much the tires look tucked in! A gasser's rear tires should really fill out the body in the rear! At least I think they should!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The rear end is a 7 rib, built in March 22, 1962. Fabcraft metal works has anything you would ever need for them. From the prices, I think I should have narrowed a 8.8. But it is pretty cool though.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been making a little progress, Sold the Olds 3rd member, narrowed my 8.8 housing. Ordered axles, made my 4 link bars, found a guy on ebay that cut me new front and rear 4 link brackets real cheap. Real nice quaulity too. I'll try and get some pics when stuff starts going together. It's been hotter than crap. Going to try and stat on the rear susp tomorrow.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the rear chassis almost done, pics when it gets done. Been slow, money and heat has been getting in the way. I got my TR, 2 holley DP's, and linkage bought. I ordered fittings, black push loc hose along with some other stuff. Going to use a Carter 4601 fuel pump with a return set up. As I said before, this won't be a correct gasser, tires are tucked under it and a Mus II front susp. I just really like this site and the info and feed back is great. I keep up with everybodys builds on here. Some of the humor isn't bad either.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, got some stuff done. Body is just setting on it, need to try and get the front end assembled, and then get the front susp tacked on. Need to get the cage, 2 sheets of 20 gauge, and the steel wheel tubs bought.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, it won't upload pics, says it's to big. Same size as all the others I uploaded.

1 - 20 of 280 Posts