Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to our first swap meet of the season. It has been a really warm Spring so everyone here is "ready" to get going even though most car cruises/shows don't start for a few more weeks.

Found a good deal on a "parachute" ..... it's complete. I would have been happy with just the "bag" but got the whole thing for only $60 (no charge for all the years of "patina")

BTW.... talked to the friend who has the "331" I am getting for the Opel.

It's a "Long Block" so I plan to get ALL new accessories for it rather than using the old stuff I have on the totally trashed 350.

I am looking to set it up with a single 4 barrel with a "Victor styled" manifold & 850 Holley carb.

The big expenses will be getting a complete MSD ignition system & a new 3500-4000 torque convertor.

This is the setup that was on the motor when it was used in a drag-only Chevy Monza. (that turned low 10's :cool:)

We are going to take care of ALL of the sheet metal/interior issues which there is a LOT of...... the car was 100% drag car and functioned quite well if you sat in it for only 10 minutes at time. The floor boards are in great shape (replaced at some point) but the sheet metal is on the thin side so that will be fixed. Going to move the firewall back & eliminate the "box" that the engine currently sits in.

That will mean that the gas & brake pedal will need to be moved along with moving the seat back which will mean the roll bar (6 point for now) will also have to be moved and let's not forget the steering column will also need to be made longer.

While we are at it going to change things under the hood & front suspension - re-wire & while we are at it............. relocate the mounting of the front shocks - reroute the brake & line lock lines - install new (larger) aluminum radiator & shroud - remove inner fender wells which will allow us to convert to a "one piece TILT front end".

DID I MISS ANYTHING???????????????? ...... HE*L YEAH!!!!

It's going be a LONG SUMMER!!!!

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Sounds like a ton of work, but a ton of fun too! Will that torque converter ever get to full lock up with the 3500-4000 stall speed? One thing to remember is torque converters create heat whenever the engine is not at or above the set stall speed, so if mot your driving is below that speed it will be creating excess heat in the tranny. Might want something a bit lower for street driving, vs. just pure strip runs.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a ton of work, but a ton of fun too! Will that torque converter ever get to full lock up with the 3500-4000 stall speed? One thing to remember is torque converters create heat whenever the engine is not at or above the set stall speed, so if mot your driving is below that speed it will be creating excess heat in the tranny. Might want something a bit lower for street driving, vs. just pure strip runs.
Thanks for the "tip" Vall.

I'll put that question on my list of "stuff to talk about" next time I see my friend. There are lots of details we need to talk about.

I think part of his thinking about wanting to put the identical setup he had in his Chevy Monza is that it worked & also he knows we will be logging some drag strip time with the car. I was told there is a 3000 stall in the turbo 350 that is in the Opel now which I thought would be OK.... so????

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
It really depends on how much of your time will be dragstrip time. At the strip you're trying to keep your car at peak rpm's through the entire run, so it's hard to get too much converter. You also want a high stall so you aren't pulling your car through the staging lights, and that require a higher tall converter too.
But if you're running 6-7 times a year down the strip, and going to cruises or shows mot the time, then you want a converter that works in the rpm range you'll be driving. If you want to keep the engine above 3,000 rpm's mot the time on the street or highway, then get a 3,000 rpm stall converter.
My car cruises at 55 mph around 2500 rpm with 3.73 gears, so I'm running a 2500 stall converter. That way it's always at or above converter rating when I'm cruising down the highway. I'm often less than that around town in high gear, but I'm not worried about that small part of the driving.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That all makes sense to me.

When I told him (Jim) that I was told that the Opel has a 3000 converter I was actually surprised when he said I needed a 3500-4000.

Then as all of us know from "having been there... done that" just because someone told a previous owner that "this was done" or "that is in there" ..... there is only ONE way to find out for sure

As I said there has been a LOT of stuff done to this motor..... built for both horsepower & strength. More of a motor than I would have built with the 350 short block I have. Surely NOT the engine you would want for your "daily driver" hot rod.

Even if I was going to build the 383 stroker it would still be a true "strip" engine capable of being used for limited street use. I think you guys know what I mean. A true HOT ROD..... NOT a STREET ROD!!! For me there is a BIG DIFFERENCE between the two.

We have no intention to drive it long distances...... just to the local car cruises & shows and "on a trailer" when need be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts