Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've already had a couple swap meets this winter and spring. But next week officially is the biggest of the year coming up! The PIR/Expo is two separate swap meets that run at the same time! PIR is at the drag strip and runs Thu.-Sat. and Expo is Fri.-Sun.
Each meet takes a entire day to walk through, if you walk fast, and don't look at things you're not interested in. First day wears me out, and second day starts with a good dose of ibuprofen, and a pocketful for later! It's more walking in two days than I do the rest of the year!
Well worth the effort, even though I have nothing really on my wish list. Just can't miss it anyway! I was sick last year with the flu, and after the first day couldn't make it back for day 2. I'll make it all this year if my legs and feet hold out!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Gotta love swap meets! It's funny, all the complaining I here from people about swap meets sucking but I have to honestly say I have never gone to a swap meet and not come home with at least one cool item. Maybe it's because I collect so much different junk:) Good luck to your legs and feet!

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went to a very small one this morning. It took longer to drive there than it took to walk through! In fact we got there at 7:30 and did 4 or 5 trips through to make sure we didn't miss anything, and were still done in 45 minutes. Missed two items by seconds that I would have bought, and bought one item that shouldn't have been at a car swap meet. A little hand made hinged lid box done in birds eye maple. It will get repurposed for my other hobby, so glad to find it. Seller said he wasn't going to bring it, but said "you never know what might sell at a swap meet!"

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Good deal Vall. We know how much you love those swap meets. Guess we all do.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Way to go Vall. Like I said, I've always found at least one cool item at every swap meet I've attended! If you don't then your not collecting enough!!

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Way to go Vall. Like I said, I've always found at least one cool item at every swap meet I've attended! If you don't then your not collecting enough!!
My wife says I need to be in the booth selling, not out front buying! I'm a bit of a hoarder, and without a build going on the spares aren't getting used up!

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I was thinking about going but hotels get booked up and they are ripping off customers with inflated prices when there is an event....so I guess I will stay home and work...dont want to drive 3 hours each way...and the return on dark mountain roads...other wise I would be there...last 2 here where just ok.....nothing that I really could use or just wanted

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah Lash, you have to find a room that's more than a few miles away to get regular rates. But 5 miles from the swap meet is easy to not get gouged, and make it to the meet in very little time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My wife says I need to be in the booth selling, not out front buying! I'm a bit of a hoarder, and without a build going on the spares aren't getting used up!
LOL! Are we married to the same woman? I always tell my wife "It ain't hoarding if its cool shit!"

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't remember what the hobby was, but I was talking to a buddy about his hobby years ago, and my wife was listening in. From the kitchen I heard her say, "You've got enough hobbies that require storage space for your junk already! Don't even think about another hobby, unless you plan to drop one you're doing now."
We both chuckled, and he said it sounded like his wife.

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got so excited I loaded up the Suburban with my 4 wheel cart tonight. Called up my buddy and asked what time we were leaving, and he tells me, "You're a week early"
Too funny! It's next week, not this week!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Got so excited I loaded up the Suburban with my 4 wheel cart tonight. Called up my buddy and asked what time we were leaving, and he tells me, "You're a week early"
Too funny! It's next week, not this week!
Very funny. It shows how much fun you have going to the swap meets. I don't blame you. I haven't gone in years to buy. I may go to find some tires for the mg.

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I good excuse! It's usually the first weekend in April, and Sat. is the first weekend. But when I called my friend who's on the committee he said since Friday was March they decided to take the following weekend. At least I'm going with that excuse! Maybe I'll just leave the cart in the Suburban all week!

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Off to day 1 of the swap meet! Two days of fun, and rain! Supposed to stop raining today about noon, but more tomorrow! Ugh!

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First day under our belts! The PIR half is 5 miles of booths, which we walked through most twice! Right out of the gate I came across a guy selling a Super T10 4 speed from a BBC Vette. My buddy Mike got it for $625 for his '35 Plymouth coupe project. As he was working out the deal I looked over on a pallet, and saw two automatic transmissions. One was black with a BM performance sticker on it. A nice B&M TH350 competition tranny for $175. Sitting beside it was a fully polished out automatic. Looked closer and it was a 700R4. Been looking for one to swap into my '69 Suburban to replace the TH400 for better highway mileage. Seller had all the receipts for a rebuild 3 years ago and said he swapped his '55 Chevy to a 4 speed from this trans. Ended up getting it for $175, but no converter. Mentioned I'd have to get one and the seller said he forgot it at home, so took my number and told me he'd drop it by my house next week! Got a pair of BBC M/T finned valve covers for $20!!! Don't need them, but figured one of my friends might, and will save them some money. Now I need to investigate what I need to make it work on my older truck and have proper throttle pressure and converter lock up.
Always some non car stuff there, and I found an old wooden fishing tackle box. It was cool and had a bunch of old tackle in it. Seller kept pushing me to buy it at $20, then $15, $10, and finally said "I want it gone, just give me $5!" So I paid him and tossed it in my cart. Got home and found an old South Bend Oren-O-Matic automatic fly reel in the bottom! Probably from the 50's I'd guess, and worth $40-$50. The wooden box is pretty cool, and guessing much older than the reel.

Tomorrow is the Expo Center half, so hopefully some more goodies to find over there!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Nice going Vall. Great deal on the trans. Wow a rebuild core goes for 100 around here. Great for the burb. I wanted to do that with mator too. BBC MT also great. collectable reel in the fishing box. great day I would say.
I found videos online on youtube showing how to put in a pressure switch on the side of the trans and using it to power the lockup when no load is sensed. I bet you can do it without the kit and get your own parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFiKswiTMJU

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mario, I will likely do my own and not a kit. Not sure if I want a pressure switch, 4th gear switch, or throttle position switch. Need to do a lot of searches before I decide, as I've read so many different ways to go. I also read the TV cable setting is extremely important to proper function and life of the trans! So a lot of homework before wrenches get turned.
I hear both ways on the length. Some say it's the same length as a TH400, while others say it's longer. Then others say some are the same, and some not. Read some saying the yoke is different, and some say it's the same. Need to ferret out all the BS and make sure I'm ready once I start!
Picked up a pair of brand new Cherry Bomb glasspacks today for $15. Need to remove the turbo mufflers on the Austin, and put some straight through glasspacks as the 350 breathes harder than the 327 did, and needs more flow. I can feel a real power increase with the headers open vs. closed. Hope mufflers do the trick.
My buddy Mike got a Pertronix Flamethrower distributor for $65 brand new for SBC, with plug wires too! He also got a Moroso high volume electric water pump for $60. He's building up parts for his '35 Plymouth coupe project. Going for something similar to your Chevy coupe style.
We missed the ugly weather outside, and hit the inside 4 buildings when the storm hit! Good timing!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Mario, I will likely do my own and not a kit. Not sure if I want a pressure switch, 4th gear switch, or throttle position switch. Need to do a lot of searches before I decide, as I've read so many different ways to go. I also read the TV cable setting is extremely important to proper function and life of the trans! So a lot of homework before wrenches get turned.
I hear both ways on the length. Some say it's the same length as a TH400, while others say it's longer. Then others say some are the same, and some not. Read some saying the yoke is different, and some say it's the same. Need to ferret out all the BS and make sure I'm ready once I start!
Picked up a pair of brand new Cherry Bomb glasspacks today for $15. Need to remove the turbo mufflers on the Austin, and put some straight through glasspacks as the 350 breathes harder than the 327 did, and needs more flow. I can feel a real power increase with the headers open vs. closed. Hope mufflers do the trick.
My buddy Mike got a Pertronix Flamethrower distributor for $65 brand new for SBC, with plug wires too! He also got a Moroso high volume electric water pump for $60. He's building up parts for his '35 Plymouth coupe project. Going for something similar to your Chevy coupe style.
We missed the ugly weather outside, and hit the inside 4 buildings when the storm hit! Good timing!
Wow cherry bombs. I haven't had them since I was driving my 442 back in the 80's. Lol.
As far as the trans kit I'm gonna recommend putting that switch in the loop to whatever you are using to request the lockup. You shouldn't lock it up without the pressure switch deciding when it is an appropriate pressure or you will shorten the life of the trans and converter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts