Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gassers, Just want to get you's opinion. Went to Louisville Ky to swap meet march 10, at the Expo center. Place was real crowed, lots of guys pulling carts and wagons around,but not much in them. Man i cant believe some of the prices they,re asking for their parts. I didnt stay very long, afraid they were going to start charging to look at something. Isaw a lot of people leaving early, and not carrying much. Is it just me or do any of the rest of you see the same thing. You can buy new for just alittle more than what i saw intakes and heads asking price. Maby its me I may be geeting to tight with my money.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
No, I see the same thing. I walk through a swap meet and find maybe one or two real bargain priced items, and often they aren't things I need so I leave empty handed.
There are exceptions at the really big swap meet at the Portland Expo eahc April. There are so many stalls and sellers that the competition forces prices to be competitive, and even crazy low at times. I always find much more than I could carry or afford at this swap meet. Last year I bought a pair of 10"x15" ET slots with a pair of really nice Goodyear Eagle slicks for $125. Bought a nice tube grille for my '69 Suburban for $5. Lots of other great buys too. We went home two days in a row with the back of the truck full!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Looks like more people didn't get the recession memo again. Reminds me of the 2000 dollar ford 9 inch All original from the 60s on craigslist.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Seems like everyone's going for the brass ring. I know that they have an idea of what something's worth, but they also need to take a reality pill. Now if it's a super-rare widget that no one re-pops, they might have a case. I have a '65 Riv and there are parts that should be fairly cheap in terms of other cars out there, but are gold on these.

Still, I'm sure that I'll put a few miles on my shoes at the Expo swap meet coming up. Don't need a ton of stuff, but that's what makes the hunt even more fun.

I do need a scatter-shield for my '55 if anyone knows of one out there. :)

Mike

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
............... You can buy new for just a little more than what i saw intakes and heads asking price.....
Since the engine blew in the Opel I have been doing quite a bit of surfing on the Internet, primarily on Craigs List (used stuff) & on eBay.

I was surprised that there are so many very competitive sellers on eBay that offer everything you need to build a hot rod engine, etc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370597004142?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_14602wt_1139

The swap meet season starts around here next weekend..... so we'll be keeping our eyes open for deals. You never know what you'll find.

With good deals on the Internet swap meet buys will now be done with that in mind.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
We went to another swap meet this morning. Little one, but a lot of good stuff at Vancouver Bolt. I found a guy with 4 greaseable 5/8" heims for $15 all four. Jeff bought a complete third member for his '56 gasser with 3.36 gears jut in the gate for$40! Fortunate, as his went kaboom as we pulled up to the meet, and had to be towed home! Perfect timing for a change!
We're swapping third members tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I've been selling at the swaps, almost two a month this last 5 months. And everyone is thinking that every part is worth $5 dollars. I had a Ford nine inch Detroit Soft Locker, with very few miles and 31 spline. If you look at new they are anywhere from $450 to $600. I had it for $200 and a guy just today told me I was stupid for asking $200. But he wanted it bad, kept coming back, several times. I did not want to lose the sale but I was not happy about his attitude. He had called me stupid so I finally told him it was no longer for sale and not to ask me again. He walked away and two guys came up, took one look at it, and could not give me $200 fast enough. You have guys out there that badger sellers and finally wear them down, buy it cheap and then you find them later with the part on their table for the original price you were asking. It has happened to me twice. I feel my prices are reasonable and I'll let them walk before giving the parts away. I would even give stuff away for less if I know they are really using it versus selling it off. I do it all the time to people I know. You also have to remember that part prices continue to go up just as everything else does. The used parts need to go up also or they're just being given away. Yes there are redicules pricing going on but the average guy usually asks decent prices for their parts. And the reasonable guys will drop prices for a reasonable offer. Anywho that's my feelings. You can tell I'm getting tired of selling. I REALLY NEED TO BUY, HEH! Mark L

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I HATE that sound!!!!!
Three of us pulled the axles and swapped the 3rd member out today in a couple hours. The spider gears were toast! One split in half, the other wiped clean of teeth. It's back together and running great again! But once it gets new spiders and side gears it will make a good spare in the future.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I was at our first area swap meet of the year today and saw an EMPTY '55-'64 Chevy rear end center section for $125 and it wasn't even a P case. People were totally off their beans with prices today. Pretty disappointing.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Mark, 200 bucks is a great price. I just saw an ebay auction for 9k. It was a 428cj drive train in pieces. I might give 1000 for everything, but 9k is ridiculous.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts