Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
appears I'm in over my head here. Grafted a dodge diplomat front clip to my ford pickup. For clearance, I had to fab my own motor mounts and use a front mount plate to tie it all together. Appears to have the right height (motor) and spacing (fan to radiator/ firewall). But after further review ( and firing the welder guy)...I find the motor wasn't level left to right, attempted to gain the 3 degress by the mounts themselves and the oil pan does not clear the drag link by a long shot. (THATS WHY THEY CALL IT CUSTOM...RIGHT?..LOL)...Looking at some options and could really use some input...re-do the mounts to make level..set up for the intake to verify the 3 degrees down angle and custom make an oil pan. or get a front (?) sump oil pan for a sbc, and what about the oil pick up if I do that.. OR..cut the whole damn thing off and start over with a user friendly sub frame...negligent for the latter being $$$ already spent on rebuilding the clip I got...it's a bit of a mess..thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Sounds like a mess Bob. Can you post some photo's so we can see your issues. Side to side on the engine should be do able and the 3 degrees down shaft is too, but make sure your car is at ride height and set on the tires and wheels you plan to use just to make sure. You probably will have to change your steering/drag link or as you said a different oil pan. I'm pretty sure someone on here has had to do similar surgery. Not the end of the world. Hold on, help is on the way.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Well I will put my 2 cents in....as long as you know for sure the the graf is straight then all is well... as long as you did the work up off the suspension with every thing plum and square your good, now if its on the ground, and your off then remember you have had the suspension apart and it will need driving to settle, all work needs to be on stands with every thing level, witch you may be doing but didn't see that in your post......why did you fire the welder

·
Registered
125 Posts
Are you doing the fab yourself ? If so I might start over. I measure everything several times and still have to do some things twice. I tend to trust the measurements but I have employee at work that mocks everything and that seems to work for him. Detailed pictures will help the fine people here to give you sound advice. I do agree with Lash that if things are level and square to start you'll be able to adjust from there. I was taught frame repair from a legend and everything was brought back to level and square measured back to front and 45 degrees. Seemed to work every time.

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Unsure how to attack the issue without pictures to be sure. The side to side is not a big issue, as it would just mean changing the lowest of the two motor mounts to make it higher, and level the engine. This might also increase pan clearance and aid in steering issues. I personally don't think the 3 degree thing is cast in stone. Even if it was twice that, you can change pinion angle to match and cancel out driveline vibration issues.
As mentioned, some pics will help us.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
If you didnt hack the frame horns off look into a late model grand marquis front clip from what I hear they are damn near a bolt on unit and can be found in wrecking yards and weight a lot less, google it in images you will see what I mean, aluminum up the ass plus rack and pinion to boot

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
The Grand Marquis is a popular swap, but pretty wide track, and requires a inset wheel to look good. Same for the popular Crown Vic swap. It seems to be the trend to go with these modern reverse offsets where there's no depth to the outer wheel edge, but I sure dislike that look myself. Just too modern looking.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3rd times a charm

Appears my front end work was done on a non level floor. So, I will create a level surface to work from and attempt to fix. Final ride height will be done via the torsion bar adj. All work to be triple checked and level PRIOR to welding. Still need oil pan clearance, maybe a 2'' notch ( not depth, but from the belly itself), OR , if someone has info on sbc pans that would work for this, info would be appreciated. Still have problems with putting pics. on here..( maybe my 9 yr old granddaughter can walk me thru..lol). On another note..Happy Thanksgiving to all..stay safe and thank you for all the help.

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Could cut a notch, but then you end up with no place for the pickup. Or you end up with half the oil in the pan not circulating. You might consider going to a dry sump system. Those pans have no sump, but will need remote filters and tank. Might be cheaper to figure out how to clear the pan, or go with suspension with front steering, like a 2nd gen Camaro subframe.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221602475413?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

1 - 9 of 9 Posts