Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday. Cool but warming to mid '60's today Sunday. Working on the motor. Probably something I should not have done today. OK, here goes.
Decided to assemble all of the finally finished adaptors, clutch, and bellhousing assembly today. Planned supper at sons house at 5:00 pm so figured even with last minute assembly mods, I would plenty of time. Eveything went great, got bellhousing centered, clutch all in and bell on. Got out the engine cherry picker, using it to sling the trans up into possition to see if anything was amiss with it going into place, (I'm too old to swing that heavy mutha up into place anymore), all looked great. OK this went too well. Reviewed everything to make sure I didn't miss anything. All's good. I've got time, my roller lifters have been soaking in oil for 4 days, lets put in the lifters. Assembly lube on everything, lifers in, assembly lube on the pushrods, drop them in, all's good. Bring out the roller rockers, assembly lube everything that touches anything, Badda Bing, Bodda Boom. Everything in place. Pull out the extra long stud poly locks for the stud girdle, put on first side and the phone rings. SCREECHHHH, all the good stuff comes to a screeching halt. Hands all full of oil and assembly lube, I lay down the poly locks in my hand (about 4 of them) on the head next to the rockers and go answer the phone. Friend having problems with installing a clutch fork in a bellhousing during a trans swap. Talk him thru that, then back to work. I look at the poly locks and I have one missing. I know there were about 4 that I layed on the motor (head) before answering the phone. I know there were 16 when the package came, I counted them. I counted them when I took them out of the package today. I start looking. Here's the "Monkey Move". Pontiacs have the lifter valley tray that covers the lifter valley. Putting on all of these parts I left it open (Monkey Move) because I would eventually be setting the valves and is much easier to watch the cam lobes to make sure your on the base of the lobe for setting the lash. My heart starts pounding, I'm thinking somehow one of the poly locks dropped down into the valley and down into the motor. So I finish installing the rest of the poly locks just to make sure they are all (but one) accounted for. I do everytihing from the top to look for the missing one. I crawl around on the floor, moving anything and everything around my work area to find the one poly lock. At this point I've assumed that it is in the motor. I slowly turn the motor over listening for any noise or anything that may stop the assembly from rotating. Nothing. Nada. So I start the floor search all over again. I looked and looked. Nothing. Ok. Tear off the clutch and all the adaptors/starter. Get out the cherry picker, lift the motor up off of the steel table it's been on, and pull off the oil pan. Nothing in the pan. With the motor open, I rotate the assembly again and stop every 1/4 revolution, take the work light and look up at every rod, piston, and counterweight. Nothing no Friggin' poly lock. Not anywhere. I keep hearing this Twilight Zone--do do do do--do do do do--playing in my ear. I know without a doubt I had 16, now I have 15. There is a pan bolt that was never on the early blocks/pans that is on the late pans (which I'm using), so I take this opportunity to drill and tap the block for that bolt. Of course, "Monkey Move" I break the tap off in the hole???? Never done that before, "Monkey Move" right? The tap was just starting and the hole went into the bellhousing rear area so I was able to knock the tip of the tap back out. Drill hole to next larger size tap and tap it out. OK, that's done. I'm reasonably sure the poly lock is not in the engine. One more look around inside, nothing, start to reinstall the pan. With the engine hanging from the lift. Add some silicone to help reseal the pan gasket, get all the bolts back in place except one that dropped out of my hand on to the floor. That bolt hit a 12 foot piece of angle iron for another home project that is laying along side my car, and it rolls under the car. I'm laying on my back on the floor, looking across at the little bolt about 5 feet away, and I see a glint of shiny metal, way over against the far garage wall. This is at least 12 feet away to the opposite garage wall. There it is. The &%^* ^%$#& *&(*&)*&&^% poly lock. It must have fallen off the motor, hit the angle iron, and rolled all the way to the garage wall. I don't think I could throw it that far (lol) but it rolled all that way. Damn. I not going to keep my floor so clean anymore. If there had been just a little dirt or dust it probably would not have rolled that far. But it must have really been moving because it had to jump a seam in the cement too. I have a hard time rolling my jack across it. Geezzzz. At this time I'm mad as hell but happy that it's not in the motor. Then my wife comes in and reminds me that it's late and we could be getting late for my son's dinner. Good thing my son never has dinner ready at the time he says it will be, LOL.
So, that's my "Monkey Move" for the week. All that time wasted and now I still have to reinstall everything again. It's late, I gotta go cry myself to sleep.

Markus O'GeeezzzDumbassious

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
I really can't comment, as I've been in the same place more than once! My worst problem is putting things away, and then not finding them until I give up and get another; then I find it and an extra too!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I feel the pain! I wished I had all the time back I have spent looking for things "i had three seconds ago!" I spin round and round like a puppy sometimes chasing my tail. Lol

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that sounds more like me yesterday. Except I was biting my own arse!! Heh. Mark

·
Registered
643 Posts
Marks63PontiacGasser - Mark,

I FEEL YOUR PAIN MY BRUDDA, TRULY,, At times like these I like to look for all the good things in a situation. Think about if you had not found that poly lock till months or even years later,,,think of all the mental energy you would have spent,,,and I know you would have physically searched for that little guy again many times!!! What a time gobbbler that would have been.

Lots of other good stuff too, right??

Really I am not always a poly-anna by nature,,it is sometimes work for me to be positive (OK, I admit, pun intended).

But here's another positive outta this story,,,remember in another post we were talking about saving someone else some "headache",,,for what it is worth I WILL remember this story next time I am assembling a motor or working over an open valley etc,,,

56 VIC - Tom

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I really can't comment, as I've been in the same place more than once! My worst problem is putting things away, and then not finding them until I give up and get another; then I find it and an extra too!
We have ALL be there before..... Seems like when I put something into a "safe place" I never can remember where that "safe place" is.

It is amazing how far something can move away from where it should be..... just did something similar on Sunday. Was working on installing switch plates over a peg board I just cut, painted & hung on the wall next to my drill press NOT a complicated job. I dropped one of the screws that hold it into place. I watch it fall as if was in "slow motion" ..... it hits the base of my drill press and looked like it fell thru the slot on the base of the drill press. Tilt the drill press to look under it .... NO SCREW.... looked on the floor ...... looked on the floor while on my hands & knees.... NO SCREW ..... get out a "telescoping magnetic rod" and run it all across the floor... NO SCREW.... back on my hands & knees.... NO SCREW.... Finally did find a screw ..... at Home Depot.... L o L!!!!!

Here's a pic of the "switch plates" in was installing. I have wanted to put up peg boards since I finished builting the workshop back in '07. Has been on the "I wanna do list someday" for way too long.

You can see I took some extra time to polish the switch plates (stainless steel) and then "engine-turned" them. Only took a few minutes for each plate. I haven't engine-turned anything for a long time. With plans to do a LOT of engine-turning on parts for the Opel taking time on the switch plates is a good way to "practice" for doing the "good stuff".

I love "engine-turned stuff".... planning to do some on the Opel's dash, firewall, shifter console, brackets, engine parts, etc, etc

The switch-plates turned out so nice & really shine when the workshop's lights are on I am going to do a few more. Feels good to be doing things that I have been putting off for SO long.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
OK, here's a recent example of what happens to me pretty often. I was looking for one of the two caulking guns I own last week. I have the garage, basement, two storage buildings, plus the canopy to search. I went through them all and never found either. In my mind I could see them where I'd run across one or the other, but they were not to be found.
Finally gave up and spent a few dollars for another, just to save time and mental anguish. Then last weekend I'm putting some parts in the storage shed and there's one caulking gun right there in plain sight. And the next day I'm getting something out of the garage cabinet, and there's the other! Both were easily spotted when I wasn't looking for them. :(

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vall, that's called "Anthropic Dimensional Dislocational Time Dialation". In other words, it were dare a minute ago. Also known as "limbo". You can be looking for or even not looking for things and you see everything around you and even at times make a mental note that you saw it. And POOF, the minute you go back to find that particular item, it's not there. The worst thing is making a major move, like I did from WI to AZ. I lost (threw away or sold) a lot of inventory (better known as "junk") that I had accumulated over the years. Now I'll be working away and I'll remember an item that would work perfectly for whatever it is I'm in need of a special part, and start looking only to get that little 1 watt (better known as dim) flashing sign go on in my head. Ya darn dummy. Go back to WI and look in the landfill. It's there. (Yeah, I got those little voices in my head so don't feel bad when you hear them too, heh). Markus O'Searchious on Hands and Kneesious

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Mark I get that feeling every time I sell anything car related! I had the light go on the other day when I realised I sold the 14"x4.5" slots and tires I took off the Austin. They were unilug, so would have fitted the Econoline axle perfectly. Bet I wont buy a pair of slots and brand new tires for the $130 I sold those for!

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Swap meet the first weekend in April Andy, so I'm holding out until then to see what I can find! It's one of the largest in the USA, so lots of great stuff usually, if I get to it first!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts