Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was announced on his Facebook page that Stu Hilborn passed away 12-16-13. Truly one of the great pioneers of racing! Here's the post:

To our friends, It is with a heavy heart that we tell you of the passing of Stuart Hilborn. Stuart was 96 when he left us earlier this morning. Stuart’s passion for racing and speed led him to invent the constant flow mechanical fuel injector. Shunned by his peers, he refined the design to be the first to propel a race car over the magical 150mph mark at the dry lakes. Hilborn fuel injectors went on to dominate the Indianapolis 500 and then any racing venue that required maximum speed with an internal combustion engine. Stuart is survived by his wife Ginny of 60 years, along with his daughter Edris and his son Duane, 4 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren. Stuart’s wit, charisma and passion will be truly missed and arrangements will be passed along. Thank you

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I read about that yesterday. There will always be automotive heros still to come. But we are losing the first generation of automotive heros. The ones that got it all started. Yes they were pioneers and we can say their contributions may seem primitive compared to what is happening today. BUT THEY WERE THE FIRST. They innovated and started it all. They will be missed but their inventions and their spirits will live on in every one of us. Just stop for a minute---and think of who is up in heaven right now. Man, the motors and the race cars they are building.
Next time there's a thunderstorm. Stop and listen for a minute. I bet you'll be able to hear the roar of the Big Blocks and Hemis. The wind---is the exhaust as they blow by---the rustling of the trees---the applause. They will always be with us.

Markus O'Sadious

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Wow sorry I missed this post. Very sad to loose the late greats of racing. I will hopefully be experiencing his hilborn on my coupe this summer. I have a vintage working hilborn injection that will hopefully run well enough to finally get some good et's.
My condolences go to all of his family and friends.
mario

1 - 4 of 4 Posts