Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been busy as hell the last few months and havent been on much. Part of my reason is below. I know there is some talent on here and hopefully it will show! We are currently finishing a straight axle Willys coupe with a 383 stroker motor. The motor was originally built by AR Racing engines in Sumerduck, VA....what a piece of S&%$. These guys ground through the bottom of the cylinder in 4 places trying to make clearance for the stroker setup and tried to hide it with block filler...that was only the first of the terrible work and to make a long story short when I was very pleasant about it and only asked them to cover the price of a fresh block the owner of AR basically stopped responding. I would avoid their work like the plague. If anyone wants more info I am happy to provide it. Anyway.....on with the questions.

The motor seems to shake quite a bit more than a mild cam motor should, when we had the crank out to swap blocks there were no weights or non factory work to show that it may have been internally balanced, and it came with a 8" balancer with a counterweight. It is a two piece rear main seal crank. The original builder (who obviously couln't be trusted 100%) also supplied it with a zero balance 350 flex plate which I just replaced with the correct 400 flexplate with balance weight hoping that would fix the problem.....it did not. We have about 11 degree of static timing and about 25 or so of advance in the distributor, have checked the firing order numerous times etc etc.
I am running out of things to look at so hoping maybe someone has had a similiar issues and can provide some insight. My next step is to swap the torque converter just to double check.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I have looked into building a 383 and some kits are internal balanced and some external (like the 400). I don't know how to tell by looking at the crank. Do you know that it is a 400 crank? Sorry that I can't be of more assistance. Keep us posted on what you find.

It sucks when there are 'Speed shops' that do crappy work. I got lucky and found a small shop locally that has been building race engines since the '70s, maybe earlier.

Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
425 Posts
:( Hey Coupebuilder, just from what you have told, honestly sounds like you need to take all rotating parts and have them balanced. (by a competant shop of course). Sorry for your problems. I've been there done that, by bad shops. Good luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, thats what I am deperately tryinng to avoid. Since it is definitely a two-piece seal style crank it should be external balance and have the weighted flexplate and balancer. I am at a loss of where else to look for vibration, I am going to swap out the torque converter on the off chance we got a bad one, but after that I think its going to have to go to a good shop for a balance.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
"Bob, were these 5.7" rod 3.75" stroke INTERNAL balance cranks like Speedfoos has?? I've only ever seen minimum 6.0" rod length 3.75" stroke offered in internal balance.

I have yet to find anyone selling an internal balance 3.75" stroke cast crank that uses rods shorter than 5.85-6.0". Rarely do you even find a forged 5.7" rod 3.75" stroke crank meant for internal balance. Seems they all take some mallory to do the job."

This is from another forum : http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/383-stroker-crank-rods-pistons-questions-167916.html

Might have some clues for you.

Mike

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah, I agree with all of the above. It sounds like the rotating assembly is not properly balanced and would take it to a reputable shop and let them take a looksy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys , unfortunately.......

I think we will be pulling the motor and replacing everything with a new balanced rotating assembly. Its almost cheaper than taking it to my local guys and waiting a few weeks. I want to make 100% sure my customer has no problems down the road and is satisfied with whats in his engine. The guy who built this thing originally should be shot, the sad thing is he sells on Ebay and by the time guys have to leave feedback, they haven't even come close to getting the motor in and run, so all they can go by is shiny stuff and what you can see on the outside. I will be taking pics and description of all the shoddy work so others can avoid the same pitfalls as we have found. Hopefully once they see them on my website maybe they will change their tune. Normally I am not out for revenge, but I gave these guys every chance to make up for their shoddy work and they refused to even communicate. Everybody makes mistakes, its how you man up to them that counts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think we will be pulling the motor and replacing everything with a new balanced rotating assembly. Its almost cheaper than taking it to my local guys and waiting a few weeks. I want to make 100% sure my customer has no problems down the road and is satisfied with whats in his engine. The guy who built this thing originally should be shot, the sad thing is he sells on Ebay and by the time guys have to leave feedback, they haven't even come close to getting the motor in and run, so all they can go by is shiny stuff and what you can see on the outside. I will be taking pics and description of all the shoddy work so others can avoid the same pitfalls as we have found. Hopefully once they see them on my website maybe they will change their tune. Normally I am not out for revenge, but I gave these guys every chance to make up for their shoddy work and they refused to even communicate. Everybody makes mistakes, its how you man up to them that counts.

True story. It will be nice to have the peace of mind knowing it's done right.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yep, I have been Skrewed just like that by Erape.... I mean Ebay.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I think we will be pulling the motor and replacing everything with a new balanced rotating assembly. ....... I will be taking pics and description of all the shoddy work so others can avoid the same pitfalls as we have found.
Sorry to hear about ALL of your hassles. BTW.... while you have your camera out please take some more pics of that "nasty looking" T-Bird pictured in your avatar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hows that 383 runnin? What rotating assy. did you use? R~R

1 - 11 of 11 Posts