Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to run some things by you all and see what you think. I have the build thread, Switched projects, 40 chevy coupe. I've built about everything on it so far, not bragging, just can't afford to buy alot of fancy crap. I have a Mustang II front suspension, manual rack, also have a power rack. I have tubular A arms on it now, but I also have the stk ones that came with the kit. This stuff was all new, but it sat inside for a few years on a unfinished project. I just can't seem to get a straight axle out of my head. I would like to maybe do a dropped type axle, don't want the nose to be real high. Just a nice rake to it. My stk track width is 56 1/2, and also, this kit came with the 11 inch rotors, drilled and slotted, GM metric calipers. I think the Speedway axles use these, so if I purchased one from there, I'd have them, or I could sell it all and buy a complete kit. I have a 4 1/2 bolt pattern and I'm going to run 15x4.5 front wheels. I'd have to redo the front rails, no biggie, so do you think I could get the stance I want with a straight, nondropped axle? It'd be cheaper I'd say. I'm also useing front and mid plates, so with a straight axle, the header clearance would be good. Thinking out loud I guess, but since I'm going to drag race it, I just think with the tilt front I'm doing, it'd just make a lot nicer set up. Vega or GM steering box, and I'm building my own column. I'd have to sell this other stuff first.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you're redoing the front rails anyways, you should easily be able to use a "straight" straight axle and build around it. Rake is personal preference, so I can't comment on that. (ahem, nose-bleed, ahem lol) Sell the Mustang II stuff and roll on! There's a '41 that runs at our local track powered by a 598ci BBC. Just plain good looking cars!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks FalconA for the reply. I done have the susp mounted, but I just don't really care for it. I want to get a good stance, but I want it to handle decent. Roads around here suck, I know it won't corner like a sports car, the 4 link and 18.50'sx31 rear tires kinda hurt that. Check out my build.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
You can modify the frame rails, but that may result in issues with hanging the front sheet metal when you do. Another idea would be to box in mounts on the side of the frame rails, which would bring the front down a few inches lower. But if you have a 56.5" track width, you might look for a drop axle out of the front of a 49-54 Chevy half ton. Easy to convert to 5 bolt disc brakes, and would save a lot of money vs. buying a Speedway axle.
But Speedway also sells their axle kits as a drop axle, so you really have that option also.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm familiar with your build and totally understand the desire to have some sort of handling. I've only driven mine about 8-10 miles and had to learn to drive again. Sure ain't no Honda Accord, lol. With a spool and those tires, good luck turning yours at all, hahaha! In all seriousness though, I can understand doing a Pro Street car with IFS kinda deal too. It will drive and handle very well. And it may look a little better than Pro Street Gasser. But it's your ride, your choice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts