Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to complete my dream gasser (gasser light) car before the look is overdone....but anyway, I'm at a severe disadvantage since i was born in the late 60's so I didn't get to see what was done "in the day" I grabbed up the front axle, the guy said it was 46 ? ford F-100 ? I looked at one a few days ago and it was 62+ " backing plate to backing plate, this one is a bit less? anyhow, can anyone tell by the numbers what it is?

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Don't measure plate to plate, go hub flange to flange. That'll give you a more accurate idea of axle width. As for the casting #'s, I haven't the slightest. You may need to check under some old Fords and compare your axle to theirs. I believe Ford axles are relatively the same up to the mid 60's but I'm not 100% sure.
I was born in '69 and didn't see this stuff first hand also, but I've been into and around cars my whole life. Just keep asking questions and doing "homework". That's why we're here, to exchange information and help with answers. Keep em coming......

·
Administrator
13,596 Posts
Yes, a measurement from drum face to drum face will give more info towards figuring out what year truck it is. Hard to say without that. The only real difference for many years was width.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.