Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well how's our guys doing here the East Coast..... Keep us intouch if all possible. I'm sure we may have power outage along with loss of Internet.
So I thought a roll call would help knowing everyone is A O K .........
John hopefully your far enough inland but one of the track shows it may sit right over PA.

How's Rob in NC ?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
So far we're only getting steady light rain and winds 25-30 mph with gusts to 40. Our beaches here are mostly N-S facing. The winds are from the N-NE so there is some sound-side flooding in the lower lying areas. The forcasts are calling for heavier rain and increased winds through-out tomorrow and possibily into Monday. This is a very large slow moving storm. Looks like she may be headed to visit with you and John, Steve. :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have started preparing last week. I unfortunately don't think my generator will be here before Tuesday. I'm stocking up on water and buying jerky. That may sound weird, but jerky doesn't go bad. You can survive on meat indefinitely. I've kept putting off buying a smoker to do it myself, but maybe I should go get one tomorrow and smoke away! Everything else is good. I will of course fill my truck up with diesel. Last year during the October snowstorm I lucked out as there were huge gas lines for miles, but diesel pumps were wide open. Let's just say I got a lot of dirty looks and people would actively try and not let me into the gas station parking lot. It was really weird and shows you how crazy people can get when things aren't going right.

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well Rob I was thinking in the beginning that John wouldn't see much but the out leg, but turns out the center may pass threw his area. The are a few different tracks the storm may take, but we know for sure it will hit and move slow. Keep us posted on your area.
Issac, being in Mass are you near the cost ? Filled up my Dodge yesterday , diesel dropped to $4.02.9 so I figured top it off and get some for my tractor.
Issac what those folks in line didn't take in to consideration is that truck could push the line out of the way if needed. ;)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Well Rob I was thinking in the beginning that John wouldn't see much but the out leg, but turns out the center may pass threw his area. The are a few different tracks the storm may take, but we know for sure it will hit and move slow.....
I am a little surprise the heaviest wind & rain is predicted to pass a far east as it is. Usually Pittsburgh just gets the "tip" of most of the tropical storms & hurricanes.

The part I DO NOT LIKE is "Frankenstorm" is moving slower than an Isetta in low-gear....

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Sandy has been pretty much as expected here on the southern coast of NC, just another "mullet blow." The winds increased slightly over-night to 35-40 mph with gusts, early this morning, to 50 . Rain is still just steady and doesn't seem to be causing an real problems locally. I got a call-out around mid-night for what turned out to be unrelated to the storm. Working for a public utility and being "on standby" in these situations keeps me on the edge.

Sooo........it looks like everything will be okay here. Hope you guys in the northeast are prepaired and will stay safe. :) :) :)

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'm in the springfield area and on top of a mountain so the biggest worry is losing power. I should be ok otherwise. You don't know how tempted I was to just put the truck in 4wd and jump the curb. The cops were directing traffic so I probably would have got a ticket. It looks like PA and NJ are going to take a hit on this one.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
So far we're only getting steady light rain and winds 25-30 mph with gusts to 40. Our beaches here are mostly N-S facing. The winds are from the N-NE so there is some sound-side flooding in the lower lying areas. The forcasts are calling for heavier rain and increased winds through-out tomorrow and possibily into Monday. This is a very large slow moving storm. Looks like she may be headed to visit with you and John, Steve. :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Well how's our guys doing here the East Coast..... Keep us intouch if all possible. I'm sure we may have power outage along with loss of Internet.
So I thought a roll call would help knowing everyone is A O K .........
John hopefully your far enough inland but one of the track shows it may sit right over PA.

How's Rob in NC ?
With as SLOW as this storm is moving we will not be getting the high winds & heavy rain for quite awhile yet.

Last Fall I spent a couple of days about 40 feet from the ground inside a pine tree that had grown into our power lines. Power company only trims branches that grow on the main lines so it was either do it myself or pay pro tree trimmers to do it. One thing about tall pine trees is once you get up inside them the branches are almost like rungs on a ladder. Even so it was quite a LOT of work.... had Gina's son on the ground ready to call 911 if needed..... NO L o L .... it was way up there with lots of branches to cut.

Then just a few weeks ago the power company had tree trimmers come in and cleaned up the main line so hopefully we'll be ok. One thing about high winds you never know what to expect.

Another issue is most home owners tend to let the trees on their property go "un-trimmed" for too many years. Branches get way too long and are prone to splitting off the tree in high winds or bend & snap under the weight of heavy/wet snow. One of the most neglected chores of homeowners.

Being so far inland I am really surprised that the path of the storm places us right in the MIDDLE of the storm's path where the heaviest amount of rain & high wings are forecast. Looks like Steve is in the "red zone" as well !!! ??? !!!

I did some yard work and putting Summer stuff away yesterday & today. Not much more we can do but to just wait for "Sandy/Frankenstorm" to get here.

Right now the weather has gotten much colder along with light rain & increased wind..... which is nothing compared to what we are expecting early Tuesday & Wednesday.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm waiting for Monday to head for work. I'm a Forester for a Utility here in Jersey and you know what that means. Hope that there isn't too much clean-up work Should be away from home a few days.......

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
All is good.... still have our power..... some mess in the yard feom things blowing around but NO DAMAGE to anything.

From reading the threads posted so far this morning we are writing to each other at almost the same time without knowing it.

Glad the worse is behind us..... so now my thoughts are about getting things back to normal.... or something like that.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I lost power at 8pm last night. Estimated time to get our power back on is 6pm wednesday. The generator i ordered last week is still in transit. I joked with my wife that it will show up 15 minutes after power is restored. The only damage is part of our fence blew over. Other than that it didn't do any other damage. I have to charge my phone in the truck but i can at least access the net. It gives me some time to do some school work and catch up on sleep. It will be dark soon.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Sorry to hear about "Sandy" getting ya!!! Being without power is a bummer. In the past lost power for just over 24 hours. Real pain.

Hopefully they'll get it back on sooner & NOT later.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Actually, power came on about 45 minutes ago! I was surprised. My wife and I then watched the local news. They had video of our fence that blown over. They made our little town look like it was trashed from only three short clips. It couldn't be farther from the truth! It made my wife and I laugh. I also looked at pictures of NY and NJ. It's amazing how much damage it did and I feel truly blessed to only have to endure a day of no power.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, I'm finely sleeping at home. Been working since Sunday before the storm hit, 16 hrs shifts. I'm a Forester for the Electric Co. at work and trees were some, not all of the outage problems. Hope the folks down along out coast will be ok, very bad scene.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
We were out of power most of the time also. I've got a 75 ft oak down in my yard that hit a car next door. Thank god it wasn't my tree, just have to do the clean-up Sunday.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts