1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Time to start lynching just like horse stealing. String them up till dead, they'll never do it again, LOL.

·
Registered
699 Posts
You know what, if my newer model car were stolen I would be pretty ticked, but after a few days I would get over it as I can replace it by heading into the dealership. If one of my old cars were stolen I would be devastated. Especially after all of the work that went into making my pride and joy. I hope Dave gets it back!

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had three cars and a motorcycle stolen over the years. Never got the motorcycle back, nor the '55 Chevy gasser. I still miss the '55, and it was part of what inspired me to build another gasser 41 yrs. after it went away forever. So this really touches home with me, because I could read between the lines and see how much heart went into Dave's build. I was so proud of the '55 I built while I was in the USAF, and it always got tons of attention on the street. When I lost it I was heartbroken for years.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I've had three cars and a motorcycle stolen over the years. Never got the motorcycle back, nor the '55 Chevy gasser. I still miss the '55, and it was part of what inspired me to build another gasser 41 yrs. after it went away forever. So this really touches home with me, because I could read between the lines and see how much heart went into Dave's build. I was so proud of the '55 I built while I was in the USAF, and it always got tons of attention on the street. When I lost it I was heartbroken for years.
Wow! Three cars and a motorcycle?????? Ever think about moving to an island somewhere? :D :D Sorry, Vall.......That would probably make me want to go "postal."

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! Three cars and a motorcycle?????? Ever think about moving to an island somewhere? :D :D Sorry, Vall.......That would probably make me want to go "postal."
Sad part is they were all in different areas far from each other, and also all back in the 70's. But it did make me ultra cautious where I parked, and now have alarms on everything I own; house, cars, motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
That is just wrong! Past experience would say that his car is in a shipping container bound for parts outside of the US. However, as we assemble our cars, mark your major components. If your car goes to a chop shop there is usually no way to recover it. You don't have to be elaborate with your name or anything like that. Maybe your initials in a discrete location on your major build parts. Keep a record of the locations and give it to the police investigating the theft. You would be surprised the numbers of times Chop Shops are raided and parts recovered, but with no identification the parts are placed in property rooms and then sold at auction after a period of time. And like Vall said, lots of alarms.

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw something the other day that really looked good; Micro Dots. I have no idea of cost, but they are tiny little dots of less than a millimeter in diameter, containing serial numbers that are registered. The dots are almost imperceptible when applied with an adhesive, but can be read and the recorded numbers will trace them back to the owner. Nice thing is they can be applied to every part on the car, even glass, and not be noticed by the bad guys. I found a web site that advertises them, and there may be others. They don't list a cost, so not sure about that:
http://www.microdotus.com/

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Sounds almost like a microchip for a pet. That is a great idea though. By the way Isaac if you do Lojack, check your local law enforcement to see how many cars are equiped to monitor lojack. Not as many as you think, and for the Police, it is expensive to install and the operator needs to be trained on how to monitor them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts