Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm still around. I've been pretty darn busy with work and also continuing school. I have a 10-15 page research paper due next week!

With how cold its been and how unprepared my garage is for the cold, I have not touched the car. It's just not fun to be out there. So instead I have been working on a few projects that I can do indoors that deal with objects that go boom. I bought myself some parts to "Hot Rod" a few things so I don't let my mechanical skills go to waste.

I leave for Kansas in June which will also keep me busy. I guess the weather down there today isn't that great!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Good to see all is well with you. Winter has been tough for many of us.... especially those of us who caught the "flu bug". Seems like it hangs on forever. Hopefully it'll be Spring soon. Finally warming up to low 40's tomorrow which will be an improvement.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Sometimes life just gets in the way. But ya gotta fight back. Kick life to the curb and get back to what's important, family, your Gasser family, LOL. It's good to know that all's well and nothing bad is going on. We'll be here waiting for ya big guy, sniff, sniff. Markus O'Dramaticus

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still have a lot of snow in the ground. Its raining tonight so hopefully it will melt more. It is also getting warmer. I might get some time to do some work if it stays around 40. I can work all day in those temps. 30's and is just too much! I was really sick in January. Knocked me down for two weeks. I didn't really feel normal until the beginning of February. I spent 4 days laying in my couch which I haven't done since I was in high school.

I've had two projects this winter. They were short but the first one was mounting a red dot scope on my Mosin Nagant M44 rifle. It should greatly increase the accuracy of the rifle. The second one was modifying my Saiga rifle with a rail system. I also modified the magazine catch so it accepts old AK mags. I still have to add a bullet guide, replace the trigger group, change the stock and add a grip. I want to give three gun competitions a shot when I move south, and I want to use an AK platform since it's what I already have. I need a shotgun and I will be all set. I can't find what I want here in MA.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve you are right. It isn't as friendly. Some changes I have to wait to make until I leave the state because they have banned features here. It's about as silly as banning flame paint jobs on cars. Its the same exact car, it just has flames now.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
I used to compete in three gun Bulleye pistol matches, and action pistol matches. Now it's just plinking for fun and collecting. But competing really hones your skills and you meet some great people too!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Steve you are right. It isn't as friendly. Some changes I have to wait to make until I leave the state because they have banned features here. It's about as silly as banning flame paint jobs on cars. Its the same exact car, it just has flames now.
I have a good friend that grew-up in up-state NY. He has resided in NC for about 30 years. He is an avid turkey hunter and has returned to NY every spring to turkey hunt. A stroke in early April of 2000 caused considerable paralysis to his right side. I'm confident Rudy's passion for turkey hunting was the driving force to his recovery. Doctors told him after the stroke he would never walk again... The first time I visited him in the hospital, his first words to me were, "I want to go turkey hunting." You should see this guy today... he's slow... but there's not a mountain he won't climb to kill a turkey.... :) He has limited grip in his right hand so he had a pistol-grip stock made for his shotgun. After many many months of practice and determination it allowed him to return to hunting turkeys. Yup! You probably already guessed were this is leading.... The state of NY has banned the pistol-grip stock.... No more turkey hunts in NY for Rudy! When will this madness stop?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Would they make exceptions for disabled? It's worth a try. Mark L

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
My Dad was an alchoholic and we were not allowed to have guns in the house. So I never got into them. I'm now in AZ where they are everywhere. We go on those hikes and there's some possible dangerous animals up there. We see tracks all the time but have yet to see anything. Not even real sure what the tracks are but look Feline and not a kitty Kat. So I would like to get one for the hikes and some home protection. I just haven't allocated the funds for one yet. Mark L

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Mark, Rudy called NY DNR and they told him absolutely... NO! I suggested he call the Attorney General's office but I haven't heard if he did yet or not.

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
When I grew up in Boston, and my dad passed, he and my mom were divorced. He had a pistol since he was a kid and when he passed I wanted to keep it. Boston police confiscated it and said I had a fat chance of getting a permit or his pistol. The one officer that followed me outside, said ( son my condolences, and if it my ruling you'd be going home with your dads pistol ) When my mom called a few weeks later to find out more about the pistol the station said they weren't aware any pistol. Well that was a bit of a loss for us.... My son will defiantly, have mine.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
When you need a permit to exercise a right, it ceases to be a right. The thing that stinks is that this is not the only thing legislators are going after. Visit the SEMA website and look at the knuckle headed anti-hotrod laws they try to pass each year. This is what happens when you have an ignirant body if elected folks. My cobra's exhaust was illegal in MA. I drove it anyway but was left alone.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Mark, Rudy called NY DNR and they told him absolutely... NO! I suggested he call the Attorney General's office but I haven't heard if he did yet or not.
If your friend wanted to pursue it through the ADA I believe he might have the basis for a good lawsuit with the state of New York. I'd say their discriminating against his disability. If they made a law against wheelchair access they'd get in just as much trouble.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts