Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Speedway's drag links and steering links come with CM rod ends? I was going to buy some DOM tubing and buy the heim joints and bungs, but the tubing is crazy high priced. I don't know how much shipping is on Speedway's, plus I keep forgetting to measure to see what my 57 chev truck axle takes length wise. May have to go to their custom length which is twice as high. Ruff Stuff has a good price on 5/8's joints with either 3/4 or 1 in ID bungs.

·
Registered
922 Posts
What I got with steering kit from Speedway for my '36 was the base, bottom of the line rod ends. I've since upgraded to CM. I'm sure if you ordered by phone and told them what you want, they would upgrade for you at a price.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
I bought good quality rod ends from QS Components, and then DOM tubing from my local steel yard. It was cheaper than buying custom from Speedway, and I've got heavier material also!

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Heavy material is important as Vall used. Tie rods that flex in the center on uneven roads can cause a serious wobble. My speedway equivalent from racing unlimited tierod gave me a dangerous death wobble. I bought a 1" Morrison peice. Then went to a high end spherical end that adapted from 3/4 to 5/8 from a local speed shop that had roundy round stuff. Although I went to steering dampener I feel the heavy tierod fixed my flexing. Wobble is gone. I needed to change my shorts on the first wobble I got.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want chrome moly. not a place to cut corners. The dom is like 14.00 a foot when I cked, ithought that was a little high. Ruff Stuff has the 5/8's ends with 1in bungs.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
I didn't have an issue with small tie rod material on the Austin, since the front axle is 36" kingpin centers. The wider axles are where you need larger diameter to reduce flexing. I don't believe anyone is cutting corners by not using chrome moly. The factories sure didn't use it on cars or trucks. In fact the factory tie rods are very soft, and bend easily. My personal thought is that a tie rod that bends is better than one that breaks. I'd doubt either will bend or break under normal driving, but in an accident, give me the material that bends, not harder material that snaps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts