Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey just thought this may help spawn some ideas for steering columns. I did this in a 41 Willys and didn't really need to make it this short. But I didn't need much column so this is what I came up with.

I did this in stainless except for the shaft.

Made it some what adjustable.

Again, this helps give ya options when it comes to columns.

I used a piece of one inch round stock 1018 and machined a double D for the u joints. That makes it more stable then round.

Thanks for looking.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
I wish I had fabricated a column for the Austin in hindsight. I'd really like to have a QD steering wheel, and have been trying to figure out if I could retrofit my column and still use the banjo wheel on a QD setup. I have the parts, but haven't been brave enough to start chopping on it yet! Sure would make entry and exit easier if I could pop the wheel off!

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Vall, there's no doubt in my mind, you could fab that column with a problem. It's so clean, and ya can make them swing off to one side even. I think you would do one, and then Have to do one for the Falcon too. :)
The Falcon is pretty easy with the Camaro tilt column, if I wanted a QD wheel, as Speedway sells the adapters for a GM spline to QD. But it has so much room I probably wouldn't go QD on it. I may consider a completely new column in the Austin if I can do so and retain the stock wheel. I just love the banjo wheel, and don't want to replace it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts