Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first post on here ,I'm slowly building a 53 chevy gasser using stock frame rails. my question is what would you guys suggest for a steering box it has to mount on the outside of frame ahead of the axle for cross steer to fit past oil pan sump. I'm using a 500 caddy with center sump pan

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Most steering boxes mount inside the frame rails, but I'm using a late 70's Courier/Mazda PU steering box that mounts outside the frame rail. I think it's a great box, and it's longer length gets the pitman arm down low enough to line up well with the opposite side backing plate for cross steer. Try to get one with the pitman arm on it to save buying that. It needs to have the keyway removed to allow it to be mounted 180 degrees to work, but that took me about 5 minutes with a small file to file away the pitman arm's key.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks will see what I can find. does anyone run power steering ,this car is not for racing just cruising

·
Registered
922 Posts
I didn't get a picture, but the owner of this car said his box was from an early 60's Chevy pickup. It was also mounted as a front steer, outside the frame rail.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
My buddy is going with power steering on his Nova, but it was already power steering, so he wanted to keep it. The Ranger boxes come as power steering, but not sure about the older Courier or Mazda boxes.
With skinny tires up front, these cars actually steer pretty easy. Only time I really notice the heavier steering is parallel parking, which I rarely do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts