Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Henry J didn't come with a steering box or steering column so I'm going to have to get both.
I've been reading that some people use the 60's Mustang or the Vega box. What are you'll that have had to switch using?
What's the advantages & disadvantages of both?
What would be the best steering column to use?

·
Registered
921 Posts
I haven't decided what to do for steering yet, either. I'm running a SBC so I think a front drag link is the only way I can go with the rear sump pan. With a front sump, I think either would work with rear steer. I have a Chevelle box I'd like to use because the weight of my engine is right over the axle and the ratio would make it steer easier than a Vega box but the smaller size of the Vega box is a factor too.

Blue

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I think you will find that if you are looking at aftermarket steering columns, most are pretty good. As far as used columns, everyone will have a favorite. On steering boxes, I looked at the Vega box and Corvair. But I wanted side steer so I ended up going with a reversed Chevy box, this gave me the steering arm on the outside of the frame. The Vega is a great choice though.

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
I'm running a Corvair box, but it was simply a case of space and direction of steer. Once you've got your engine and axle chosen, you need to look at what space you have, and whether you'll steer the vehicle from in front of the axle, or behind. In my case I have a really nice old Mazda truck box I wanted to use becaue it's tall and would get the steering arm down below the frame and keep my drag link level. But when I ran into space constraints I had to change routes and all my steering had to go in front of the axle. That made the Mazda box steer reversed, so wheels went left if I turned right. Couldn't move the box far enough to swap the arm 180 degree, so I got the Corvair box at a local wrecking yard.
Aftermarket Vega style boxes are popular becaue they allow the arm to be located in several directions, plus they're small. They are a lot more money than a wrecking yard box, so that's always a consideration for me.
I'd wait until you get the axle in and the engine located, then see what room you have and which way the arm needs to travel to cross steer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts