Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was looking at my diagram for my starter and I noticed I have 3 wires going to it, and lately I see pics of starters only having 2. I know the big lug is from the battery, the one on the right is the purple (GM color) but what goes on the left side? Anything? For reference I am running a Pertronix electronic disty with a Pertronix flame thrower coil.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Hey guys, I was looking at my diagram for my starter and I noticed I have 3 wires going to it, and lately I see pics of starters only having 2. I know the big lug is from the battery, the one on the right is the purple (GM color) but what goes on the left side? Anything? For reference I am running a Pertronix electronic disty with a Pertronix flame thrower coil.
The S terminal is the start power from the ignition. The opposite terminal that's sometimes labeled with an R is power to the coil. The third wire is usually hooked to the main battery 3/8" terminal and feeds the fuse block. It should be a big red wire.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The S terminal is the start power from the ignition. The opposite terminal that's sometimes labeled with an R is power to the coil. The third wire is usually hooked to the main battery 3/8" terminal and feeds the fuse block. It should be a big red wire.
OK, I am with you so far. But I have the white wire going to the coil positive post. and the fusebox power to the that battery lug. So I do not need any wire on the R?

·
Registered
661 Posts
The R terminal is for direct 12 volts to the coil on start up. Over comes the resister wire or ballast resistor.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I have no idea what the white wire is Dave, unless your wiring harness tells us what it is? Is the white wire marked for what it is? Did your wiring harness come with a diagram?
As mentioned, the R terminal is full 12 v. to the coil during startup. But some newer wiring systems don't have the resistor built into the ignition system, and depending on the distributor and coil may or may not need that. My Pertronix kit in my stock Chevy distributor stated to not use the resistor. But the Accel kit in my '39 Chev distributor specified having the ignition ballast resistor wired inline to the coil. So be sure you have it wired according to the coil and distributor's instructions, or you could burn something up if it needs a ballast resistor.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The white wire is ignition from the key. I do not need the ballast resistor either from my info from Pertronix. So maybe I will just try it like it is with no wire to the coil from the starter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think you've got plenty of good advise, but just in case:

If you have an ignition resistor or resistor wire between the ignition switch and coil, run a wire from the "R" terminal on the solenoid to the coil (side that doesn't go to the distributor). If you don't have a resistor or resistor wire, you don't need any wire from the "R" terminal. It's purpose is to provide 12v to the coil when the engine is cranking by bi-passing any resistor. Without some resistor in the circuit, it should already have 12v - KO. Might be a good time to check.

Best of luck with your project.

LS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts