Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
13,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, another stumper that I can't figure out. Lifetime of messing with Chevy starters, and this is bizarre! I pulled the solenoid off my starter and went to the local parts store to get a new one. Got home and put it all together, and it just clicked with no starter motor turning? Pulled it back off and tried it on the garage floor and same thing. Back to the parts store for another.
Put the 2nd new starter solenoid on when I got home, and same result! So I grabbed my old solenoid and the new one and with a small screwdriver I checked the depth of the hole in the solenoid. There's 1/2" difference between the old and either new solenoid!
Back to the parts store to confirm what I thought, and after looking up every Chevy solenoid for any size V8, and even 6 cyl. cars; they all use the SAME solenoid!

So now my question.....has anyone ever run into two different size or depth solenoids on Chevy starters? Looks like I may have such an oddball that the starter will be tossed, even though it's a good starter, and a bad solenoid. Only other option is to find an old junk starter and take the metal plunger off to swap onto my starter so it works with a standard solenoid.

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Vall I believe that one is for a heavy duty or high torque. I would have to look, but I believe I have two different ones at the shop. One has a longer brass type cylinder tube that goes on the front of the solenoid. I know not to long ago I had a few laying around that we were cleaning up and may have ran into that when I first got the Grump and it had a blown starter. I mean literally blown apart in pieces. So to quickly to get one to work we were grabbing parts of of one for the other and there was a good bit of difference.

·
Administrator
13,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve! We had a local rebuilder company called Willamette Electric Products that was around since before WWII that built this starter and solenoid. Unfortunately the cheap import crap put them out of business, so I can't go back to them and just have them fix it.
It was always so nice to just drive over there and hand them bad parts and either have them walk over to a bench and fix it, or grab a newly rebuilt part and hand it to me. If they were still around I'd just have the bakelite cover replaced and keep the solenoid. I need to look at my junk pile and see if there's an old solenoid that might produce a donor cover.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts