Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the planning phase of a 1970 Gremlin "Rat Fink" inspired gasser project (think very cartoonish). I know absolutely nothing about building a gasser. I've studied hundreds of photos and know that getting the rear tires the right size and in the right location is critical to the look I want. The Gremlin is a leaf spring car but I want to change the rear end. I'm not in love with the idea of ladder bars and was going to go with a 4-link kit and a Ford 9". The rear quarters of the Gremlin flare out over the rear tires which is going to compound the setup.

I'm seeking ideas about how to size the tire and wheels and how much of the wheel to expose. I don't like the look of either the wheel being fully inset and covered like a pro street, or with a lot of tire outside the body. To get the largest tire possible *I think* the tire needs to be under the fender but I like just a small ridge of the tire beyond the fender. Are there any tips or common elements to consider?

I figure after I get that worked out, I can build/set the front end to get the upward rake I imagine. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Rat fink style would have ladder bars hangin out underneath. Love that look.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Rear fender wells and quarters are already really big. Don't have to do much back there. Mayby have the springs reached. Remember some guys in the late '70's with N50x15's {which is a BIG damn tire] almost under the sheet metal. Just air shocks. If memory serves me right, which it usually doesn't. A 9" out of a Mustang is a bolt in. The Grumbler is just a Hornet, with about a foot chopped off its ass.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
If I remember correctly, the Gremlin is set up similar to the Javelin. That means you have a rear subframe. To go with a 4 bar, panhard, etc, you will need to build a frame for the back to support that, or buy a back half already built for that purpose. The Dana rear is not bad, the Ford is easier to work on and probably has better support from the aftermarket. I agree with Scott, those fenders are already pretty good sized. Crawl under there and do some thinking and measuring. Have fun with it. We were going to pull the 6 cylinder from my sons Gremlin and drop in a 401. But sadly, he killed it. Something about doing a Duke's of Hazard off the school loading platform and a bent body and frame.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the inspiration Mike. I'll add this to the pictures I already have. So far, none of them are what I really want to see.

image.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Where in the fender should the top of the tire go? Bottom of the opening so that part of the tire can hang outside? How wide should the tires be?

I like the placement of the tires on the black car best but they don't look large enough. I don't like the inset on the yellow one.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Alan to get what your looking for you will need some 33" slicks...then you will have to figure where you want your wheel center by measuring from the brake drum face out....for the look you want it will be to the upper lip of the wheel well....if you are using a center set wheel .ie.- 6" back space 6"front, then you can adjust from there how much you want it to show by the measurement from the drum face and by using a positive or negative off set rim...you will have to balance it by what wheels are available...so there are limits..only you can decide how much you want it to hang out there in the wind....so if it measures 5" to the fender lip from the brake drum face....and you use a 15" wide center set wheel... divide the fifteen by half you have 7.5"... now take that and subtract it from the lip measurement 5" gives you 2.5" of tire hang out. you can go Positive or negative on the off set to move the wheel in and out as you desired

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got some new pictures that I can identify with. Questions about these:
Would this look better with the tires moved inboard, for example the outer edge to the inside edge of the fender well?
image.jpg
Does this sit up high enough?
image.jpg

Are there any other comments about this rear wheel and tire fitment to be considered?

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
I think the width is perfect. Any less would aim toward prostreet. Height wise I would like to see more clearance. Just my 2 cents

1 - 9 of 9 Posts