Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts? I know, not white. Don't want to deal with rust with chrome or paint. I know " don't run in winter". Paint and chrome burn. The end result is rust.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
I think they're great if your budget allows them. I see enough polished ceramic coated, which seem to hold up well. Might be a 2nd option. I drive my cars all year round. My Austin has VHT painted silver, and holds up great. My Falcon is VHT black, and they seem to rust often. But it sits outside all year round, and probably moisture just sits on them.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But I live in the rust belt. Even in the garage things rust. Just wondering, would I have to go with thicker flanges and pipes? I know I have to make everything. Considering I want to run a big Cad motor w/blower.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Thicker flanges don't have much to do with rust, unless you allow the pipes to just rust, and want to see how long it takes to rust through. Thicker flanges and pipes are always good for strength, and even more so if they're fenderwell headers. I like 3/8" flanges for my headers. If you have headers ceramic coated by a good company, they are always done inside and out. They should give good rust protection on the use that most hotrods get. Might be different on a daily driver.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pipes and flat is not a problem. Just wondering. Still have to get the damn thing home. Still dealing with "assholes" parked in front of garage! Gave them tickets, and they still don't get the message. Now I'm just ready to start things on fire.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Might put up a sign saying any cars parked there will be towed. Then call a tow company and start towing when you need access. Many tow companies will even provide the signs if you agree to only call them when you need a car towed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Eastwoods high temp exhaust paint is a very good product. Although there not steel tubes I painted the exhaust manifolds on my 67 Plymouth 5 years ago with the Eastwood paint and it has not rusted yet and I live in a rust belt.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm getting a little ahead of myself with the headers. Need to think of the steering. Towing signs hear cost $200 a month, and I don't get a piece of the action! After a second set of tickets, I think they got the message. But now it's cold!!

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Eastwoods high temp exhaust paint is a very good product. Although there not steel tubes I painted the exhaust manifolds on my 67 Plymouth 5 years ago with the Eastwood paint and it has not rusted yet and I live in a rust belt.
I used that stuff too and it worked well. gotta bake soon after you spray. Run the engine to get them hot enough to cure.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I hung a set up after I brushed the eastwood paint on and set a propane torch pointed up in the collector. Stuff some alum foil in the header pipes up by the collector. When they get pretty warm, turn off the torch and reheat again. Gave them 2 coats like this, ran them on a drag car for 2 yrs and they hung in my building for 3 yrs and still looked good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts