Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to remove my shock towers. I might even do it this month since I have vacation time. If I use a spot weld cutter, I can remove more metal than if I just cut. It will also look cleaner because I can weld up the holes. Does anyone have a favorite spot weld cutter they have used in the past?

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Get the best one you can afford. I purchased one that uses an 1/8" pilot hole and it worked great but it chewed up the bits too fast . I think it was a Lisle. I would check to see if the bits are carbide.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
I've never owned one. I have always used a unibit to drill them out. I know it's not the perfect tool, but seems to work good for me.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found that Horror Fraught has them for a little under 5 bucks each. The reviews from other forums seems to be fairly positive. I picked up three so that should be more than enough to get the job done. I have 11 days off of work so I should be able to spend some of that in the garage.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Hopefully they're better than HF holesaws! A friend bought a set of HF holesaws, as they were cheaper than a few name brand saws. We got them home and the first one we tried was hilarious! As soon as it touched steel the teeth on the holesaw blade disappeared! They were so soft that I think a good hardwood would have dulled them! But they did take them back without question, so we could go buy some decent Milwaukie blades!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My metal hole saw blades are Milwaukie. They sliced through my trucks bed to install the turn over ball hitch like butter. I read some forums and people were saying the spot weld cutters worked well. I usually do some research on Horror Fraught before I buy anything there. So far it has turned out ok.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
I've had excellent results with most HF tools I've purchased, and like you I checked them out first. They get a bad rap for some of the junk they sell, but most people don't take the stuff back, they just complain. I don't hesitate to get my money back if the stuff I bought there doesn't work as I'd like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts