Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to order my straight axle kit from speedway
I'm looking at the chevy spindle setup with a 50 inch axle n wilwoods

Should I upgrade the kit to the deluxe King pin setup ?

This will see street cruising
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I looked at the Speedway axles and didn't see an upgrade for the king pin. Looking at their spindles I do. If you were to purchase the complete axle kit, it is already engineered and ready to assemble and put on. No need for the upgrade there. They are really helpful over the phone on their tech line. Might be a good question for them too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I talked to the tech guy about upgrading to the deluxe King pins on there kit
He said they where designed for heavier cars to steer easier
Ups the kit price about 150 bucks

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Can't imagine how different kingpins make it steer easier? It's already equipped with a thrust bearing under the axle on the kingpin, which makes it turn easy. Did they tell you what is in this upgrade kit? Better be something really special for an extra $150!

·
Registered
922 Posts
They're just needle bearings instead of bushings. I wouldn't use them. They are fine for while turning but when going straight and hitting bumps, the kingpin gets pounded by the narrow lines if pressure from the individual needles. Large trucks still use bushings.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Thanks Gary! I'd guess that they must bore the axle ends slightly to get the needle bearing/cage in, or are they that tiny that they fit in the same space as the bushings?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've used both and on a normal car of our type there is no need to upgrade in my opinion, the regular bushes do a great job

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
The deluxe will hold up as long as the pins are case harden, but you have about an 85% less contact area at the point of contact between the needle and the pin, less drag..... buttttt will that change the way the load is applied to the knuckles cast bushing housing causing failure due to pressure being applied to a much smaller surface area i.e. load distribution, I dont think that the bearing cage will make up for it, but i may be wrong, it needs more science. but its a gasser so are you going road racing:cool: I think not

1 - 10 of 10 Posts