Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Just an opinion but I think a truck would be better off with parallel leaf setup. I take it you're not making a gasser?
Mario

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an opinion but I think a truck would be better off with parallel leaf setup. I take it you're not making a gasser?
Mario
No, not a gasser. More of a rat rod/ hot rod. I`ve never used this suspension style before but I`m copying a chassis build that someone else did on a 37 chevy truck on my 46 chevy truck. Only difference is slight difference in the cab.

Pic below is the style of truck I`m doing.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This set up is what I used for my truck.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Model-A-to-1934-Ford-46-Inch-I-Beam-Axle-Radius-Rod-Kit,51125.html
Just my opinion but I think 6" drop is a lot. There will be scrub line issues and that's a lot of leverage that puts torque on the axle during hard braking. I always understood that you shouldn't use hairpin radius rods with tube axles,too.
What year and make of truck do you have? My truck doenst have a factory frame so I`m building one from scratch. and since I`m building from scratch I can make changes as I go. I`m copying someone else`s chassis because I like the way it sits and it seemed to work for him. I`ve always done muscle cars so this early straight axle stuff is new to me.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
No, not a gasser. More of a rat rod/ hot rod. I`ve never used this suspension style before but I`m copying a chassis build that someone else did on a 37 chevy truck on my 46 chevy truck. Only difference is slight difference in the cab.

Pic below is the style of truck I`m doing.
That will be a sweet looking ride. Nice! Hot Rod it is!:)
mario

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That will be a sweet looking ride. Nice! Hot Rod it is!:)
mario
Yeah not quite a gasser but its got more in common with gassers than anything else I`ve done. Hoping to go look at the truck tomorrow, its at a friends house. Hopefully I can get started on the chassis soon.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Keep in mind I have a pair of brand new 35 Chevy truck tail lamps from jimmy carter truck parts. I will give you a great deal on them if you need.
Mario

·
Registered
922 Posts
What year and make of truck do you have? My truck doenst have a factory frame so I`m building one from scratch. and since I`m building from scratch I can make changes as I go. I`m copying someone else`s chassis because I like the way it sits and it seemed to work for him. I`ve always done muscle cars so this early straight axle stuff is new to me.
Mine is a '36 Ford cab I got out of a junkyard. I built my own frame, too. 10" Z in the back and 3 1/2" in front. Chopped 2" and channeled about 3".

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts