Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good evening everyone after un able to get my 56 pic to work i came across some old pics of some tri-five drag racing that i had saved for years ..............cal:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
well i still have more to post.thats the thing is with the hamb website that i see. and this is only my opinion they have a lot of mis representation of the past of how it was about certain types of drag racing cars.the thing is that that site misleads the younger people becuase ,they show an illusion to people that the only cars running that were worth a shit bACK IN THE DAY IN GASSERS,ECT WERe willys,angliaect ,ect that they were all custom built with wacked up.welded on subframes with speedway strait axles kits or million dollor jobbers like shaky pudding dont get me wrong that car is bad ass.that is what i love about my 56 it is from that time area from the real world.every one asks me man you should make that a 2 door wagon like the one on the hamb. hell no i dont think so. that i want it to be like the real world that some of us dont have 50 thou in welders and fully equipped shop and a gold card with a personal speedway motors vip membership,so how did they do it back in the day from what i see is any way they could .to enjoy the sport of drag racing now that is only my oppinion so here are some more reality pics and that is what i love about this site everyone is on the real side

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Thanks for the pictures! I enjoyed them, and also enjoyed your opinion on high end gassers, vs. reality. Having built six budget gassers, and five of them back in the late 60's and early 70's, I agree with what you posted. My Austin has probably got way more in it than any of those old Tri Five gassers I built, and it's still a real low end budget build compared to what I often see.
I think there's a place for both, but as you mentioned, people need to not forget that in the era there were far more budget built gassers than the various other famous gassers that got/get all the publicity.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Vall, you said the magic word. Publicity. What everyone saw were the cars in the magazines. Same as now except once in a while you see some every Joe's cars. Back then it was all about high end and shinny chrome. Many of the grass roots cars were nothing more than a semi built motor in a near stock body. It's just that the rules had them in that certain class. I think that is why I'm always drawn to the more innovative Rat Rods. While they may be less than "pretty". It's the enginuity and the repurposing of parts that intrigue me. Something I like to do on my cars (connecting rod for a steering drop). Although much of the Rat look is on purpose, it kind of goes back to those grass roots times. When you did with what you have. But you did with what you had in your mind, since most everything was new territory, not follow me cars. MArk L

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I didn't even own a welder when I built the first 5 straight axles cars, and never dreamed of using a custom newly built axle kit then! I figured out how to make mounts for those straight axles that I could bolt to the factory frames, and then went to friend's garages and used their welding bench to fabricate bolt in front axle perches.
Some of it improved with each car, as I learned about things like kingpin angles, and improved the handling charachteristics. The first '57 I did was pretty ill handling at high speeds above 80 mph. I also improved the mounts to make them cleaner, and still bolt on the frames and be easy to install. I thought back then that I'd even pursue fabbing up kits to use the plentiful '55-'59 Chevy truck axles, but they seemed to be getting harder to find even then, and I saw not future in it.
When I look at the resources for tools I have now, (and they're not a lot!) I would have been in heaven back then to be able to do those axle installs!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
thats it exactly im not that old but at the late 60s early 70s i remember those cars all thoh i was a little kid you know ive been pretty blessed last 11-12 years or so but back when i was 19-20 years olds i had some bad ass cars but only you should say kids car i had a wife 3 kids and a 8.50 hr job i never even thought i would evr have or come close to have what i do today and i dont have a gazillion dollors of shop equipment but i have enough to get me by and i greatly appreciate the input kinda thought i was the only one who saw it that way

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
There's a local guy here who has a '65 black Mustang with blown 351 that is all steel and stretched 14" in the frontend. All street legal, and actually built to be a mild driver, even with the 6-71 on it. It looks awesome as a stretched funny car driving down the road!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what ever time era the chevy sedan delivery is in the pic that says big daddy is where i want to be with mine im thinkin 67-69 some were in there i know the guy started mine in 67-68 but kept upgrading as times and fashions for those cars progressed like the gorilla hair door pannels and the wider tires and cragars on the front ,ect. .....Nasty Cal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts