Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at one of the larger trucking shows last week in Dallas. I have always loved the big trucks from the 70's along with the truck shows and movies. Hell, for a long time I even wanted to drive trucks. The amount of money these guys put into their show trucks is staggering. Here are some of the cooler ones from the judged points show circuit.

Chopped Peterbilt- 9 inches total taken out of the top!

This guy was right behind our booth.

My favorite

How are these turbos looking Mark?

same truck but side view

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Turbo---Biiiiig. Turbo--Pretty. Turbo----Gooood Turbo go WOOOSSSHHH!!!! Turbo make big truck go VROOOMMM--LOL. Not that his truck was any where in their league but my Dad hauled Ramblers out of Kenosha WI '51 to '75. He was an owner operator, not a company driver. Late 50's he ran a 57 Chevy 60 series with a 283 and 5 speed two speed axle cab and hauled 4 cars. When they went to 5 cars (one over the cab) the company talked him into becoming a company driver and bought him a new diesel and new trailer. He HATED the diesel and HATED being a company driver because they ran him ragged. So he gave them back their truck and company driver job and bought his one and only new truck. That was a 1963 60 series cab with a 292 big six, 6 speed trans ( or 5 can't remember for sure) and two speed rear again. That poor thing ran from 1963 and hauled as many as 7 cars until he hurt his back in 1969. After back operations he tried to drive again in '73 but could not take the pounding and retired in '75. Ended up with emphysema and died in '77. He would have loved one of those rigs. But he really did not like diesels and I never really found out why???
The other thing that he missed out on was the CB radios. They came out just after he stopped driving. He would have loved talking to the other drivers.

Mark

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark, if I remember right, that purple truck said it dyno'd out at around 1100 hp. There are videos out there of these bobtails beating cars in the 1/4 mile.

Love the story about your dad.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
There were several big rigs running at the drags this last Sunday. Not impressive big tire burning runs, but they were having fun. I got paired with one old 40's International semi, but I think someone grabbed my time slip for that race, as I couldn't find it to see what he or I ran?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts