Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what keeps me coming back here every day a few times a day ! ! :cool:
We draw a different but not so different crowd... Think about it ! ! Most forums ( which most are all great ) hit on a name brand , GM , FOMOCO, Chrysler , and so on and may be mildly taboo to list your off brand without an eyebrow raising or two.
Some forums are kind enough to place a special section for there members to share there ( other ) rides, builds, ect.
Here, is a community of a passion to display like an artist. Not one member here that doesn't embrace another's build, and come away with ether a bit more knowledge or an idea for there own build, and when they do, it's a shear compliment to the originator.
:cool:
That's what keeps me coming back........ ;)

·
Registered
510 Posts
I do the same thing I log on at least once if not more times a day. since I became a member a week or so ago. I stumbled across this site after going to Byron's Gasser Maddness I have viewed that site many times over the past 8 or so years just brousing around looking at the different builds. was sorry to hear of His passing R.I.P. Byron, and GODS SPEED!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am doing the same since i joined, checkin it out a few times a day. I check it out on my smart phone and drive my wife crazier. I have already gotten so many great ideas from all you guys. As i have already said, it is a great motivater cuz i want to make progress so i can take some pics and show them! Steve

·
Registered
395 Posts
Its the fact that everyone here encourages your build, even if they don't agree or would do something diff themselves. Thats what i like. Everyone is diff and should be able to build what they want. To be specific, As you all know I'm a small cubic inch high winding small block guy. I got so sick of hearing, " stroke it, build a 400, build a 383, no substitute for cubic inches, and so on". I come here and i dont hear that crap. I am me and you are you. Thats what i Like. I get encouraged about my build. Not told what to build or how to build it. Thanks everyone. This site is a real home for me. Stay tuned on my build thread as the high winding 310 progresses. One day, Mighty Mouse will be alive.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
I check in every morning if I'm not heading out early. Then check in when I sit down for a bite of lunch, and later after dinner. I just enjoy seeing what people are doing with their rides, or what they are thinking about for their ride.
I get too much inspiration here too! Sometimes I see something and have to tell myself not to tear my car apart again! You guys are a good and bad influence on me!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Well said everyone. We all have the one thing in common. We love the Gasser style. When they started drag racing, everyone was on a level playing field. Much of the parts had to be made by the racer, enthusiast. And that is where the individualism comes in. Until the aftermarket really ramped up everytihing was home grown for whatever the owner had or raced at the time. Engines were generally smaller with lousy ports. It took RPM to get that couple extra HP to beat the next guy. AND IT WAS NOT ABOUT WHO HAD THE MOST MONEY! It certainly helped to get things done but the low budget guys were many time the innovators. They figured out ways to make more HP and then they were copied and sometimes their ideas became manufactured parts. But nobody would write them a letter (versus the internet and communications of the present) telling them it was not right because it was a Chevy, or a Ford or an Olds etc. Or that the part was the wrong size or color etc. And many made mistakes. But many were very successfull too. They learned as they grew. This board is very much the same way. We have a vision, we certainly have the individualism, and we encourage each other to follow that vision and HAVE FUN with it. That common vision, and the desire to see each other expand on that dream, and be successfull with "our" dream, makes us brothers.
This should be our moto. Like that famous lady in the New York Harbor:

BRING US YOUR TIRED, YOUR POOR, YOUR RETIRED GASSERS, YEARNING TO BREATH FREE AND MAKE THUNDER AGAIN.
BRING US YOUR CHEVYS, YOUR FORDS, YOUR STUDIES AND YOUR AUSTINS AND HENRY J'S.
SEND THESE, THE HOMELESS, DOWN TRODDEN, THE IGNORED AND RIDICULED GASSER BUILDS TO US
WE SAY WELCOME, AND RAISE OUR LAMP TO LIGHT YOUR WAY

Yeah that's pretty bad, but hey, it's original, just how we like it, LOL.

Markus O'Brotherous

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I come back on as often as I can. If I am getting burned out on the 38, I get revved back up by looking at the other's build threads. Or by reading MarkusO'Realius's comments :)

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think you all hit the nail on the head. It is not a judgemental snob site like a few sites ive been on. Also you won't see people trying to tell everyone to build their car the same way or you are stupid. My friend built my Falcon to go against the high dollar builds everyone was brainwashed into building. It ran 11s and was very cheap to build. He just used smarts and parts he had laying about. That mentality seems to be the way this site is and I like it that way.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I agree with all the above statements. This site has been a great site for encouragement and inspiration for me. Reading all the different builds and seek g what other people come up with is great.

I was on another site and a newbie asked a question about a thumpr cam and it was flame on! No real encouragement, just people thinking that their way is the only way.

We need to keep the fun in these cars. I had the pleasure of meeting Willy from Hawaii in person and he is a kick. He has traditional hot rod cars and trucks but decided to build his latest gasser from a '55 four door. He's a 70 year old dude having a blast building what he wants. An example for us all.

And we have to see what is coming from Markus O'jokerous!

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
I really enjoy the lack of those stupid attacks I see at some forums! Nobody getting uptight about 4 doors, or cars they think aren't "traditional" gasser material. Those Thumpr cam posts seem to always get out of hand at almost every site, and 99% of those calling them poser cams, or just noise have never tried them. But then, that applies to many topics at other forums that get the pile on mentality; they rarely have first hand evidence when they begin their attacks.
Great bunch of car guys here!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
.......I get revved back up by looking at the other's build threads. Or by reading MarkusO'Realius's comments :)
Talk about TIME WELL SPENT..... Sir Markus FullofMaSheetSkiUs is ONE of a kind!!!! Of course so is his PonchoOverTheTopEous

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Thank you John--I resemble that remark--, heh. Life is to damn hard to to be pissy. If I don't laugh at myself at least once a day I feel I let myself down. And if I can't share with all my good friends then, I feel I let you guys down. I think I need to rewrite another song, that always makes me feel good too. I have an X rated "Raw Hide" that I have to finish sometime. But I won't print it up here. To nasty, heh. MArkus O'Jockularititus

·
Registered
643 Posts
Great info and here I get a fix for "bench racing".

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
.... I think I need to rewrite another song ...... "Raw Hide"...... MArkus O'Jockularititus
Ha!!! You are too much Mark..... the new guys haven't been thru that yet!!!!! You haven't done much lately. Must be writer's cramp.

I remember back not too long ago when you were "pounding them out one after the another".

Can't imagine typing that much..... choruses & all !!!! I imagine you can type ???? Takes me forever using two fingers.... sometimes three!!!! HA!!!!

Wonder if Alice needs an act at Copperstown????? I'd pay good $$$$ to see that gig!!!!! I could be your roadie!!!! Plenty of room in that Poncho plus we could get there in a hurry !!!

Rollin' Rollin' ......Keep them dawgies rollin' ..... RAW HIDE !!!!!!

For those who don't know (generation gap) what we are talking about ..... here's my favorite version of Raw Hide by the Blues Brothers.
Go To: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdR6MN2jKYs

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Almost forgot ..... for both new & old (pun intended) GHRers ..... Like BTO once sang...... "You ain't seen nothin' YET!!!!![

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
I gotta tell you. I am part of another forum and although the forum is just about drag racing and sincere involvement to restore a drag strip on long Island It seems to be that a lot of members are taking sides against another forum about restoring a drag strip. Although I will be always willing to help them with graphics and computer work when they need for the effort I find it controversial at times. GasserHotrods was a breath of fresh air. All you guys are supportive and its like chatting to family. I find it so interesting when someone is building in PA and someone else is in Missouri and Oregon and all are good friends offering support and help any way possible. I have been in love with the gasser seen since my car reck back in 2002 and I said I was going to rebuild her in gasser fashion. Everyone looked at me like I had 2 heads. Now watch the car shows on tv and see all the gassers. I thought that back in 2010 I was missing the rave because mine wasn't done yet. Now Im in and I met Adam because of his gasser. (mofogga) , boy I hate that name..LOL I told him about you guys and to just check it out. Well he joined so I must be right.
Glad to be here. If I can help anyone in any way please ask. Im not a genius but I spent a lot of time with GM so I have dealer mechanic good sense. What I do know I take pride in and what I don't know I will learn from all of you. Never too late to learn something new.
great to be here.
Mario

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I gotta tell you. I am part of another forum and although the forum is just about drag racing and sincere involvement to restore a drag strip on long Island It seems to be that a lot of members are taking sides against another forum about restoring a drag strip. Although I will be always willing to help them with graphics and computer work when they need for the effort I find it controversial at times. GasserHotrods was a breath of fresh air. All you guys are supportive and its like chatting to family. I find it so interesting when someone is building in PA and someone else is in Missouri and Oregon and all are good friends offering support and help any way possible. I have been in love with the gasser seen since my car reck back in 2002 and I said I was going to rebuild her in gasser fashion. Everyone looked at me like I had 2 heads. Now watch the car shows on tv and see all the gassers. I thought that back in 2010 I was missing the rave because mine wasn't done yet. Now Im in and I met Adam because of his gasser. (mofogga) , boy I hate that name..LOL I told him about you guys and to just check it out. Well he joined so I must be right.
Glad to be here. If I can help anyone in any way please ask. Im not a genius but I spent a lot of time with GM so I have dealer mechanic good sense. What I do know I take pride in and what I don't know I will learn from all of you. Never too late to learn something new.
great to be here.
Mario
Well said Mario.... to be completely honest I would NOT be attempting to do the things I will have to do with the Opel w/o the support & advice of everyone here on this forum. And surprisingly, even with my limited experience & skill I have even been able to help others in return from time to time.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts