Gasser HotRod Forums banner
421 - 429 of 429 Posts

·
Administrator
13,700 Posts
I think the factory grille on the Morris is hideous.
They are a little odd, but the simple horizontal bars don't look that bad to me. It's the outer perimeter chrome strip that is located further out near headlights and turn signals that looks odd to me. I always figured I I built one I'd leave that off, just so it doesn't draw your eyes to that chrome strip. It's like they built it thinking of a bigger grille, and then made a smaller grille and an adapter to size it down.

·
Registered
125 Posts
They are a little odd, but the simple horizontal bars don't look that bad to me. It's the outer perimeter chrome strip that is located further out near headlights and turn signals that looks odd to me. I always figured I I built one I'd leave that off, just so it doesn't draw your eyes to that chrome strip. It's like they built it thinking of a bigger grille, and then made a smaller grille and an adapter to size it down.
I think I'm going fab up an aluminum grille with the dimple holes eventually, have even thought of using a reproduction '53 Corvette grille insert.

·
Administrator
13,700 Posts
I think I'm going fab up an aluminum grille with the dimple holes eventually, have even thought of using a reproduction '53 Corvette grille insert.
Might consider an insert like the Willys guys all use. The 1958 Ford grille insert. I have one sitting in my garage if you need measurements to see if it is big enough?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #426 ·
What's surprising is that the price for the 58 grilles has stayed affordable. I bought the one for my Willys pickup in 2007 for $100 plus $30 shipping. There's still a bunch for sale on ebay for around $150 plus shipping.
I thought about using one for the grille on my 53 but it wasn't long enough so I went with expanded metal mesh.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Home Depot has some that I thought about using. I believe it's for screen doors, but looks more like something you would see in a church were you confess your sins.. lol
Let me see if I can find a picture. Can't find it anymore.. I looked at all the custom car grille mesh and can't find anything close to how much I like 58 ford grille mesh. This is close as I found. What diameter holes are in the 58 ford grille. Really digging the 58 grille.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
There are also a ton of grille inserts on the market by many companies and most are cheap too...https://www.google.com/search?q=Keystone+Collision+Grille+Insert&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi2oKil7bn0AhWTFTQIHSTfCLEQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1282&bih=560&dpr=1.25

·
Administrator
13,700 Posts
I like that!! 👍 If it's not too much trouble measurements would be great. Thanks
Total width is 57", but it's 48" long before those two ends begin to get very narrow. The top to bottom at center is 12", and the rest is 11" top to bottom before it gets narrower. So you'd have at least 48" x 11"-12" for most of it.
I've bought two of these at local swap meets for under $20 each. Sold the last one to a friend who has 5 Willys coupes and a pickup. I kept this one because I thought it might work for something, but never has.

421 - 429 of 429 Posts