Gasser HotRod Forums banner
421 - 440 of 460 Posts

·
Administrator
13,872 Posts
I think the factory grille on the Morris is hideous.
They are a little odd, but the simple horizontal bars don't look that bad to me. It's the outer perimeter chrome strip that is located further out near headlights and turn signals that looks odd to me. I always figured I I built one I'd leave that off, just so it doesn't draw your eyes to that chrome strip. It's like they built it thinking of a bigger grille, and then made a smaller grille and an adapter to size it down.

·
Registered
123 Posts
They are a little odd, but the simple horizontal bars don't look that bad to me. It's the outer perimeter chrome strip that is located further out near headlights and turn signals that looks odd to me. I always figured I I built one I'd leave that off, just so it doesn't draw your eyes to that chrome strip. It's like they built it thinking of a bigger grille, and then made a smaller grille and an adapter to size it down.
I think I'm going fab up an aluminum grille with the dimple holes eventually, have even thought of using a reproduction '53 Corvette grille insert.

·
Administrator
13,872 Posts
I think I'm going fab up an aluminum grille with the dimple holes eventually, have even thought of using a reproduction '53 Corvette grille insert.
Might consider an insert like the Willys guys all use. The 1958 Ford grille insert. I have one sitting in my garage if you need measurements to see if it is big enough?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #426 ·
What's surprising is that the price for the 58 grilles has stayed affordable. I bought the one for my Willys pickup in 2007 for $100 plus $30 shipping. There's still a bunch for sale on ebay for around $150 plus shipping.
I thought about using one for the grille on my 53 but it wasn't long enough so I went with expanded metal mesh.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Home Depot has some that I thought about using. I believe it's for screen doors, but looks more like something you would see in a church were you confess your sins.. lol
Let me see if I can find a picture. Can't find it anymore.. I looked at all the custom car grille mesh and can't find anything close to how much I like 58 ford grille mesh. This is close as I found. What diameter holes are in the 58 ford grille. Really digging the 58 grille.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
There are also a ton of grille inserts on the market by many companies and most are cheap too...https://www.google.com/search?q=Keystone+Collision+Grille+Insert&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi2oKil7bn0AhWTFTQIHSTfCLEQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1282&bih=560&dpr=1.25

·
Administrator
13,872 Posts
I like that!! 👍 If it's not too much trouble measurements would be great. Thanks
Total width is 57", but it's 48" long before those two ends begin to get very narrow. The top to bottom at center is 12", and the rest is 11" top to bottom before it gets narrower. So you'd have at least 48" x 11"-12" for most of it.
I've bought two of these at local swap meets for under $20 each. Sold the last one to a friend who has 5 Willys coupes and a pickup. I kept this one because I thought it might work for something, but never has.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #430 ·
Finally took it out again
After I got around to installing the GV unit I didn't really drive the car except for the initial shake down drive then parked it to check for leaks, there were none. It's stayed parked and covered ever since then. All this week, except for Tuesday when we had rain and hail, the days have been in the high 80s. Today I decided to take it out of moth balls and drive it. It's always nice when you flip on the fuel pump, listen to the float bowls fill, pump it a couple times and it fires right up. I let it warm up, drove it around the block, staged it in front of my house and did the torture test burn out and nothing exploded so off for a drive. 1st and 2nd gears have always been low because of the 4:56 gears with a big fall off of rpms' going into 3rd. Now, when I go into 2nd and the revs top out I engage the GV, the revs drop down and start to climb again and I still have 3rd direct & OD to split. I'm liking it alot. Getting on the freeway the shift from 2nd over to 3rd over was really nice; I didn't actually need to split the gear because the rpms were still high enough to pull in 3rd over but it was nice to know I could have gone into 3rd direct if I had needed to.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Feels good don’t it Steve. Sometimes we need a change to make us feel refreshed. Hearing that bad boy fire up is the prescription we all need. Wish I was riding shotgun when you went out for the ride.
I haven’t been in the coupe since I pulled it out of storage So I could put the MG away For the winter.
glad it all works great for you.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 ·
The shit never seems to end. I hadn't driven the 53 in a bit so I thought I'd take it out today. I turn the ignition on, flip the fuel pump switch on and am listening to the carbs filling up but the pump isn't slowing down and then I smell the fuel. I open the hood and for the 3rd time in about as many years the braided lines look like a lawn sprinkler system. I said fuck it, pulled all the lines off, took them apart trashed all the hose, put the AN fittings in my AN fittings box and I'm going to make up hard fuel lines. I'm just tired of this shit man.:mad:
I'll post some photos after I have hard lines plumbed;
Automotive parking light Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

and it's just as bad on the other side.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
The shit never seems to end. I hadn't driven the 53 in a bit so I thought I'd take it out today. I turn the ignition on, flip the fuel pump switch on and am listening to the carbs filling up but the pump isn't slowing down and then I smell the fuel. I open the hood and for the 3rd time in about as many years the braided lines look like a lawn sprinkler system. I said fuck it, pulled all the lines off, took them apart trashed all the hose, put the AN fittings in my AN fittings box and I'm going to make up hard fuel lines. I'm just tired of this shit man.:mad:
I'll post some photos after I have hard lines plumbed;
View attachment 108671

and it's just as bad on the other side.
I can’t believe it Steve. I have never had that happen yet. And I do mean yet. Knowing the type of fuel we get now I expect we will be experiencing all kinds of different problems. Let us know how you get around this.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #435 ·
I thought about that Vall. What I'm going to do is put a loop in each line where it attaches to the fuel block mounted to the firewall.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I thought about that Vall. What I'm going to do is put a loop in each line where it attaches to the fuel block mounted to the firewall.
Just curious Steve. Who makes that fuel line? Have you spoken to the tech from the company already? I know you went through this before. My other question is , do you have a fuel return line back to the tank from the regulator or are you running single line pressurized from a regulator To the carbs?

·
Administrator
13,872 Posts
I hope a loop is enough to allow for flexing, and wont end up fracturing at the fittings. Even solid motor mounted engines flex pretty good when under torque of acceleration.
I just use a short 4" piece of rubber hose, and use the high pressure fuel injection hose that holds up much better.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Im not even up to flexing. Im concerned about vibration cracking the lines. Be safe Steve and think about this before you do it. Maybe I’m missing the idea in mind.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #439 ·
I got the idea of the loops from my 69 Ford F150's brake lines. The lines come out of the master and loop before they go into the frame mounted distribution block. They haven't cracked since the truck rolled off the assembly line 53 years ago which is why I'm thinking a loop between the firewall mounted fuel block and the carbs would solve any vibration or chassis twisting issues. But I suppose I could do a short piece of rubber line between the fuel block and lines.

·
Administrator
13,872 Posts
The body where the brake master mounts, to the frame where the brake line block is wont see nearly the same flex or vibration the engine to body will see. So I think the loop wont work, even if it was a pretty large loop. I built all my hard lines over a decade ago, and have just the short 3" piece of hose on it. No issues with lines fracturing, or the hose going bad with just this one short piece to isolate things.

421 - 440 of 460 Posts