Gasser HotRod Forums banner
401 - 420 of 429 Posts

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Ahaaaaa. No biggie buddy. I just felt like saying that.
we all do stuff like that. Very nice terminal arrangement by the way

·
Administrator
13,689 Posts
Nice work Steve! The real advantage of your Gear Vendors OD is it can be used in more than just top gear, so it makes your trans have more than the usual older 4 gear OD trans had. If a guy wanted to play with it he could put it in OD in any gear once the car is over 20 mph. And if I recall correctly your GV OD has compression anytime it's engaged also, regardless of what gear it's in?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 ·
It really sucks getting old, stay young Mario unless you're looking forward to joining the MEAN OLD BASTARDS CLUB with Lash and me :mad:
I got out there today to wire up the OD indicator light. The only real chore was all the getting under and out from under the dash; at 72 I'm definitely not the same limber person I used to be. Anyway the whole job is finally done, geezzzzzz. After I get it out on the road and play around with the split shifting and try out the OD on the freeway I'll do an update.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Plant Gauge

To answer the magneto question. I've always liked mags and have run them for decades; I also run a Vertex mag on one of my Harleys.
Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Tire Motor vehicle

The only what might be considered a down side is that there is no timing retard function, so at low rpms to accelerate you need to down shift and bring up the revs. As for efficiency the great thing about them is that as the rpms' increase so does the voltage. Another benefit is that if you have a weak battery or bad alternator it doesn't matter because the mag generates its own power and you will get to where you're going; plus they're bad ass looking. As for fouling plugs it's sort of strange, every once in a while when I start the 53 the #1 plug has fouled but bringing it up to a few thousand rpm it cleans itself.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Beautiful job Steve. Too late buddy I’m fat and getting old too. I’m taking my driver training course while I write this. 🤦‍♂️🤣

·
Registered
120 Posts
It really sucks getting old, stay young Mario unless you're looking forward to joining the MEAN OLD BASTARDS CLUB with Lash and me :mad:
I got out there today to wire up the OD indicator light. The only real chore was all the getting under and out from under the dash; at 72 I'm definitely not the same limber person I used to be. Anyway the whole job is finally done, geezzzzzz. After I get it out on the road and play around with the split shifting and try out the OD on the freeway I'll do an update. View attachment 107787

To answer the magneto question. I've always liked mags and have run them for decades; I also run a Vertex mag on one of my Harleys. View attachment 107788
The only what might be considered a down side is that there is no timing retard function, so at low rpms to accelerate you need to down shift and bring up the revs. As for efficiency the great thing about them is that as the rpms' increase so does the voltage. Another benefit is that if you have a weak battery or bad alternator it doesn't matter because the mag generates its own power and you will get to where you're going; plus they're bad ass looking. As for fouling plugs it's sort of strange, every once in a while when I start the 53 the #1 plug has fouled but bringing it up to a few thousand rpm it cleans itself.
Reason why I asked because I too think they look badass! I have a Mallory UniLite HEI but really want a Magneto with a Summers Brothers front mount relocation... But not in the budget right now.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Beautiful job Steve. Too late buddy I’m fat and getting old too. I’m taking my driver training course while I write this. 🤦‍♂️🤣
Mario give me a week and I can come up with my holes saws and lighten you up to race weight...now for old well I am just in the same sinking boat as every one...I was standing in line at the store the other day..and some old dumb ass was staring me down, i was thinking what are you looking at you old dumb motherf....ker, I then realized it was my reflection on one of those stupid mirrors they put on store support posts to see how the glasses they sell look on you..........damn one eye and getting old

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #409 · (Edited)
Any possibility of posting them here Vall? I'd like to know which wheels are on the car to get an idea of how old the photos are. At one point I had Cragars all around with M&H slicks on the back (really old photos). Always ready for a street race.
Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Sky Car Automotive tail & brake light
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

then Torque Thrust ll all around, then the 16" Torque Thrust ll rims in back and the slots in front, then old style 16" Torque Thrust in the back and slots in front, then old style Torque Thrusts in front and currently the old style Torque Thrust rims all the way around.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #412 ·
The last place I had the car was at a Veterans Day car show year before last so I'm at a loss as to where the photos might have been taken. You can't copy and paste them Vall.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #414 ·
Thanks for that Dave. The photo on the right has the car with all four Cragars like I posted above. That's gotta be at least 15 years ago or more leaving an event at Fuddruckers. The photo on the left was taken at a local car show. I looked at my photos and saw that after I took the rear Cragars & slicks off (I had been stopped a few times for running slicks on the street) I got the rear pair of 16" Torque Thrust ll rims and some big, beefy street tires but still had the Cragar skinnies up front until I found the pair of skinny Torque Thrust ll wheels for the front. In my history of wheels & tires above I had forgotten about that combination. I can't believe the number of wheels & tires I've gone through.
The person who posted the photos must not have seen that I have the front bumper and splash pan on mine; or maybe he did but just prefers the no bumper look.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #416 ·
I personally don't think that many cars look good without a front bumper and/or splash pan. I think the 55 & 56 Chevys can pull it off but a 57 I think looks horrible without it although there is a hell of a weight savings without it. California has a front bumper law along with a front license plate requirement. I used to get pulled over all the time in my 64 Chevelle for having a "USA-1" front plate. Fortunately with my dad being an LA cop he'd sign it off for me. I like having the front bumper because with street driving you just never know. I'm really surprised that I haven't been hassled because of no front bumper on my Willys and keep meaning to pick up some stainless rod and flat stock to make a pair of nerf bars. With the race weight fiberglass front end it won't take much to crack it. After I did the cut out for the grill insert it cracked from lifting it off and on.

·
Administrator
13,689 Posts
I sure agree with you on the '57 Chevy and having the bumper on! But that's also the heaviest Tri Five bumper ever made, and maybe one of the heaviest Chevy bumpers ever made too!
I've had 5 or 6 '57 Chevys and two were gassers I built. One was an old 4 dr. wagon, and I decided to modify the front bumper to keep it, but make it lighter. The '57 has a contour line about 3" down from the top edge that follows across the bumper. I marked the lower edge off that shape with a felt pen and cut all along the marked line to remove the lower metal. Ground the edge smooth, and welded on new bumper brackets to bolt it back on the frame. It was a little rusty anyway, so once I finished it, I sanded the whole bumper and painted it black to match the black paint on the wagon. If I had kept the car I contemplated having it chromed later. But it went away to buy a '65 Chevelle a buddy had for sale.
I think a '56 looks OK sans a bumper, but really only the '55 looks great without one.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cragar SS, Slot Mag and Torque Thrust are my favorites.. Really depends on the car whether a bumper looks good or not .. for example I think some
Henry J's look good with a bumper some don't. I guess stance has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #419 · (Edited)
For me I think a Henry J is like a 57 Chevy. Without the bumper or splash/gravel guard there's just a big void there. I like the look of a Henry J without a bumper but with the splash guard/gravel guard.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

401 - 420 of 429 Posts