Gasser HotRod Forums banner

321 - 340 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I see a wires rubbing on the brake line and one on some sheet metal...might be just the picture...I got a dog for you............lol...your post was not up on display when I did mine...besides I have more total post than you so I win.....................lol

·
Administrator
13,139 Posts
Much of what they're saying is why I went to alcohol approved hose. It seems to have fixed the hose on my Austin that rotted out and began leaking when it was only a few years old. he new alcohol hose has been on for 7 years now, and no leaks.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #324 (Edited)
The hose

saga continues. As I previously posted I got the PTFE hose from Amazon. Yesterday I removed all the fuel lines from the car and went about figuring the new routing of the lines. What I do is start at the port on the fuel block and run the line how I want it reach the first attachment point. I put the first fitting on the new PTFE fuel line only to discover that standard AN fittings don't work with PTFE. The barb on the fitting has to small a diameter to engage the nylon liner of the PTFE so the line pulls right out. I go back on Amazon and no where in the description does it say that you need different fittings. It's advertised in AN sizes so I figured that meant it worked with standard AN fittings; maybe I'm just stupid (can't wait to hear from Lash on that one LOL) I look up PTFE fittings and lots more money for those. Since I've already got a bizillion AN fittings I thought I'll just go with them and get race fuel rated line. I found this place on line: https://ppcfittings.com/ and their race fuel line seems to be compatible with just about everything (I liked their description much more than Summits') so I'm going with them. I think when I'm done and the car is running again I'm driving it to CarMax to see how much they'll give me :mad:............................

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Don't be stupid (Again)....give them a call before you order and get info on what will work with what you have...and most important...in stock....and how long to receive it...Now go out and feed your Democrat...wuff.....wuff...DLM.......lol

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
When I bought an hose and tried to use summit hose with Russell fittings it didn’t work right. Then my local speed shop also had fittings of their own That didn’t work. Somehow someway you gotta stay with the same brand for the path of least resistance. Steve you went into a different realm with what you’re doing. It’s been about 5 or 6 years since I’ve set up a fuel line on the MG. My coupe fueling lines are on the car 10 years. I haven’t seen any leaks whatsoever but I’m sure I’m due too. What is so different about your lines and mine? Is it the fuel that’s different like west coast emission formula?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #327 (Edited)
I did

call and talk to someone. I gave them the history of the braided ATF lines going bad first then the supposed premium braided line I redid it with starting to leak in less than 1 1/2 years. I also referenced the information from that article I posted last night because I told him the car had sat for a couple extended periods of time. What he said was the ATF didn't surprise him and that there was a good chance the so called premium line I used may have come from China and is notorious for early failure. He told me all their hose is USA made so I ordered a 15' length of their -6 hose which was shipped out today. We shall see what happens. As long as it doesn't start leaking on the way to Car Max I don't care LOL..................
Oh, and Lash, my dog is the only Democrat I love.. Wiskey 1.jpg

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Steve, dog looks better than some women I did while blind drunk.....

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
Someone on

here once said, "any progress is still progress." While waiting for the new fuel line I went ahead and installed the hard line up to the fuel block. I made a cross over line (I absolutely love the Kool Tool for doing the lines, no stabbing your finger tips with the braided strands) to check for leaks and there doesn't appear to be any, so that's a good thing. It's funny when I'm doing certain things on this car how I don't go out of my way to make them look perfect, like the imperfect bends in the hard line, because this car just doesn't present itself that way; it's got to many wounds showing on it. CIMG2393.jpg CIMG2394.jpg Before you say anything Lash the lines have a decent gap away from the terminal block and the line is no where near as close to the header as it appears in the photo but I'm still going to use some split fuel line to insulate it along with some insulated line clamps to control vibration.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Well now you minimizes your chances for leaks. Looks fine. May I be somewhat frank with you? Replace that freakin starter solenoid will ya! Lol

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
OK Frank

or Mario, whoever you are this morning, the starter solenoid. That's there from before I installed a high torque mini-starter and was using a conventional Ford starter. I left it there in case the mini-starter ever takes a shit and I need to put the regular starter back in. I think I like Mario better than Frank; Mario's much less critical LOL................................:)

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
or Mario, whoever you are this morning, the starter solenoid. That's there from before I installed a high torque mini-starter and was using a conventional Ford starter. I left it there in case the mini-starter ever takes a shit and I need to put the regular starter back in. I think I like Mario better than Frank; Mario's much less critical LOL................................:)

LOL. Even better. Frank says paint it black with brush. What can I tell ya he’s opinionated ever since Covid hit. Lol

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
So the

new Super Le Gerra (most of you old guys should recognise that name) fuel line was delivered today. I'm waiting on a few fittings I also ordered that should be here Thursday so I can redo the way I had run the lines before. I wasn't really happy before but I was able to do it with the AN fittings I had so I went with it. This line is supposed to be impervious to anything short of sulfuric acid so we shall see.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #334 (Edited)
Got out

there today, got the fuel lines done, flipped the fuel pump switch and no leaks from the fittings, primed it again, oil pressure is back up where it should be (75psi with the drill motor) dropped in the mag, fired it up and the oil pressure went up to 100. Let it run about 10 minutes at a high idle and oil pressure was steady at 70 psi so the prior fluctuation was definitely the water in the oil and not a mechanical problem. I'll check the radiator and oil tomorrow and hopefully the radiator level won't be way down and there won't be any water in the oil.
So maybe, just maybe "Big Yellow" (thanks Vall) will be back on the road.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
That is good to hear. No leaks is step one. Oil pressure is step 2. Do you have a radiator pressure tester? It would be a good time to have one. Make you feel so much more comfortable when it doesn’t loose pressure. I have my old one from gas station days.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
My gut

is telling me that the problem was in a bad seal between the head and the intake manifold because I'd never had that problem before and I've had the intake on and off many times before. I do have a pressure checker (also from the good old days) and I'll probably check it tomorrow even if the water level is where it's supposed to be.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
Big Yellow

is back on the road; I think!! Got out there this morning and first thing checked the oil, no sign of water. Popped the radiator cap and shit, the level was down a bit and I'm thinking, shit, not again. I got out my pressure checker, pumped it up to 16 psi and heard a hiss. Looked around and the upper radiator hose was leaking from underneath, a half or so turn of the worm screw took care of that. Went ahead and fired it up, let it run a bit more and after about 5 minutes the idle started to act weird. All of a sudden it just quits, like the mag switch was flipped off and it would not restart and I'm thinking Jesus, what the hell now. My fuel gauge showed empty, the pressure gauge showed 5 psi but the pump was going nuts like there was no fuel going through it. Went and got 5 gals of gas, put it in, turned on the pump, listened to that wonderful sound of the pump slowing down as the system was filled back up and it fired right back up. So it was time to take it out. Drove around a few blocks, pulled back onto my street, staged in front of my house and did a nice burn out; I'm a happy camper. Now that everything seems to be in working order I need to decide whether or not to sell it before it breaks again.

CIMG2404.jpg CIMG2406.jpg CIMG2405.jpg

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Sounds like you got it my friend. Running out of fuel never sounded so good didn’t it. Lol

·
Administrator
13,139 Posts
Congrats Steve! So what will you do if you sell it? Pocket the money, or buy a newer Corvette and join the gray haired Corvette club? LOL

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
Nah

I've been down the Vet route Vall so been there done that. I had an 84 4 speed with the factory Doug Nash OD, a mild Comp Cams cam, reworked injectors, Mcleod clutch, Borla SS mufflers, wide ass P315/16 on Weds wheels on all four corners, Bilstein shocks, lowered 1" and a killer Technics 200 watt stereo with a 10 disc changer. It was really a fun car but little pain in the ass things started to go wrong constantly so I sold it in 93. A broker came out to look at it, said it was the cleanest 84 he'd seen and was shipping it to a buyer/collector in Japan. IMG_20200726_0001.jpg IMG_20200726_0002.jpg

321 - 340 of 365 Posts