Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Yeah what he said.......put your gear in... in whatever. Get under that cool car and swap that flex plate will ya......:)

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Atta boy Steve. On both events. Good to see you posting.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Sorry for your troubles Steve. Is it hydraulic or mechanical ? Flat or roller? I'm just curious and scratching my head as to how it could happen without you driving it much. Yeah yeah I know dry starts but still I want details. Let's make sure it's the cam unless you pulled it out already and see it worn.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
So maybe there is some chance the lifters collapsed on that one cylinder. I'm gonna be hopefull. Drain the oil like Vall suggested to see if there is any metal. Or at least cut open the oil filter and check that.or maybe sneak a scope down the hole and look at it up close without taking anything apart.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Nice Steve. I hope you get the cam of your dreams. Don't settle. Get what you want even if you have to wait.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Lucas also sells a zinc additive. I just put it in the MG oil change tonight. Said its good for break in and as an old motor treatment additive to protect flat tappet cams. Rotella motor oil at Walmart is supposed to be good for flat tappet cams too.
On top of that I also use Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer. I replace one of the quarts with the stabilizer. Next oil change though. This is too close to the break-in time. Now where was I? :)

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Well, I had my second biopsy for my bladder cancer today, should get the pathology results next week. Definitely got to get the shit done on the cars on the off chance I need to sell them. I hope to get the cam in the 53 this weekend and the Willys to the sand blaster next week; the way shit seems to be going for me lately though, who knows. :cool:
you'll do fine my friend. Don't juggle the negative and be positive and all will work out. Take on the cam at your own pace. I want to hear it run on video.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Now getter done, when you feel the cam rockin and roll'n off the steering wheel in your hands shaking the front end of that HOTROD left to right! Oh what a feeling., like the Toyota commercial. Lol oh sorry I shouldn't have gone there. Lol. Ok minus the commercial. Lol

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
How's that cam replacement going Steve? I'm waiting to see the video soon.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Progress any way you look at it :)

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
I’ve never had that done before. Sounds like old school craft. I’m glad you got what you always wanted Steve.
Now getter rollin!!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Awesome Steve, glad it all worked out for you. I heard about that dog food class action suite. I never purchased any to take advantage of it. Like Lash said get going on that cam will ya. Take it a little at a time and do one thing a night. Before you know it you will be going sideways again and looking good while you do it. :)

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Oh well at least you got yours done in time. thanks for posting.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Stopped by the tire shop today on the way home and picked up the wheels and tires. The guy said he couldn't believe how true the cut and narrowed wheels ran when they were on the balancer. Maybe having these will be the motivating factor for me to finally replace the flat cam.............. View attachment 89930 View attachment 89938
yeah they look sweet. worth all the trouble you went through, which wasn't really all that much. Great job. Now about the cam..........GETTTTTTTTRRRRRRRR Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

PS I just went back to look at your car and just noticed the cragar wheel cap as the horn button. wow what a great idea. Cool

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
"a wheel with little set back. Mario, good eye. I've been doing that since high school. This photo is of my Falcon interior from 1967"

that is so cool it should be patented.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Steve I’m so glad you started back on the gasser. Explain to me one thing please. Cam looks good right? Lifters weren’t trashed right? Not unusual to need a vise grip to pull a lifter out of the bore past the wear spot. So why the clearance issue at the rockers? I’m not ford guy so be patient with me. Is it shaft rocker or stud mount? You know I wanna salvage that cam setup. Lol
Ps the loose rockers definitely caused the fluctuating oil pressure.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Ok so the cam has to be worn too just not so visible. With all that worry about metal particles would you consider pulling the motor to make sure it’s all good. I know it’s not any easy thing to do but a little each day and you’re on your own pace.
No time clock to punch. I hope you don’t need to in any case. Too bad you don’t come across a mild roller to eliminate the situation from happening again. Keep on keeping on my friend. Hotrodder forever.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Sounds like you did dodge a bullet. Don't forget to clean the nooks and crannies under the baffle if you have one in the pan. Gary Fontana told me to actually open up the left and right corner of the baffle to allow oil to run down sooner.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
OH I feel your pain buddy. Cleanup is the worst. Just as you start to assemble another item has to be cleaned. Went thru that with my sons camaro. Still doing it now. As far as the cam is concerned I think you should just go roller. But Lucas oil treatment is a good way prevent dry startups. Sub 1qt with Lucas oil treatment and your good with the flat tappet setup. I use it all the time. You can drop down to 30 weight when you use the Lucas.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Where's the pics Steve, I need engine pics. Get under there before you put it together. :)

1 - 20 of 95 Posts