Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just recently became aware of this site. I've been a gasser guy since the mid 60s. My 53 has a fresh +.030 428, Dodge I-beam (big brakes) in front, a Mopar 8 3/4" (also big brakes) with 4:56 gears and a full spool in back, it has 16x10 American Torque Thrusts in back and 15x4 American Torque Thrusts on the front.
I've also got a 41 Willys pick up with a SBC that's about 60% done. The bad thing is it's in storage because I don't have room in my garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm still into bikes; I've got 2 Harleys in my garage, that's one of the reasons for no room for the Willys. I think probably everybody has a particular experience that really hooked them. For me (I was 15) it was the car the dude that was dating my older sister had. It was a red 39 Chevy Coupe. It had if I remember a simply badass 421 Olds with dual quads, fenderwells, up in the air, etc. The one thing I remember was when he took me for my first ride. We went to the end of the street, he turned it around, straightened it out, pulled out a handle from the dash (a pressure valve for the hydro he was running) and told me to hang on. He could have given Jungle Jim Liberman lessons on how to do a burn out. That car lit those tires up FOREVER; and I was forever changed......... I've included a few photos of my hot rod Harley. My other is just a basic black 103 inch bagger.

Sbauman2. I've mentioned this before since you are new. Back in '66-'67 when I was 14-15 I worked in a gas station across the street from my house. There was a local guy, last name of Frost, (always thought that was a cool last name) that had what I believe was a '53 or possibly a '54 Crown Vic tinted glass half roof Ford. To this day I would love to have that car. He did not have a straight axle under it but it was lifted as high as a stock type suspension would allow. He was supposedly running a side oiler 427 FE but I don't remember if that was rumor or fact. BUT. He went to college about 24 miles away and would fill up with gas almost every morning. I worked early before school (and after school, and closing) but he would come in and leave the car idling and with out an exaggeration at all, it literally shook the windows. Those being my precar days, I was heavy into motorcycles. But that car and a ride in a friends built 375 horse 396 SS Chevelle really dragged me into cars. And I never looked back. Your '53 brings back those great feelings so I really thank you for that. I always kept an eye out for a Crown Vic with the glass roof but I have never seen one since his. His was also a dark Forest Green with dark center Torq thrusts or a like wheel. With the dark green of the glass roof it was really striking. Can't tell I liked it can ya, huh?? Heh. MArk L

Attachments

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's been on going for 10 years. Almost every part on this car has been replaced the most recent being the 428 I built and installed last summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Valls mention of rain in his "project progress" report inspired me to contribute. Instead of adding this to the threads I did on modifying the BBC fenderwell headers or the twin electric fan install I thought I'd scroll back to my very first post when I found the site and add this post to that thread. As I've said in a couple prior posts I just haven't been motivated to do a damn thing on either this car or my Willys pickup. Well, my cousin got fed up with my lazy ass and he's coming down to kick me in the ass so I can swap out the correct 428 flex plate and also put in the new Hughes converter. Wouldn't you know it, he's getting here tomorrow and rain and showers are on their way for the next two days. Hey, when it rains it pours right.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yeah, I've been a bit under the weather lately. After pissing blood for a month and it not fixing itself or going away (like things used to 40 years ago) I decided to go to the doctor; turns out it's bladder cancer. I've had the first 2 treatments and they're not fun. A catheter is shoved up your dick into the bladder so that the medication goes right into the bladder. Then I came down with broncitius and was fighting it for 3 weeks. Started back to my handyman clients today so I'll be playing catch up for a bit. For all you young members out there, don't get old because your body turns on you.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm on my way for my third treatment this morning but yesterday was a day of accomplishment; the new flex plate and converter are in!!!! The vibration is gone finally. Wish I'd known when I built the 428 that it took its own flex plate with the big ass counter balance weight on it. Next up is the Gear Venders OD which should go smoothly, probably just going to need to modify the existing trans mount or build a new one.
Thanks for the well wishes guys, they're appreciated.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Flat Cam

Sometimes it seems like you're chasing your tail with these cars. After 4 years I finally got around to changing the parts that were causing the vibration in my 428. My laziness is probably what caused the new problem. The car would sit for months without being started; I think once it went for a year. Probably the valve spring load and dry starts did the damage. It's funny because after my cousin and I finished working on it and took it out for a test drive I mentioned that the idle didn't seem the same, not as radical and that the motor seemed to be less responsive.
Sunday I washed the car (been many years) in anticipation of enjoying a cruise of longer than 10 minutes. I'm a few blocks from the house and start to hear a clatter that seems to be getting louder so I turned around, came back, parked and said fuck it I'll look at it during the week. Yesterday I pulled the valve cover from the side that seemed to be the noise maker and found 3 rockers that had about 1/4" to 3/8" clearance. With that I shut the hood and went inside.
Like they say, if it's got wheels or boobs it's going to give you trouble :(

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Mario, it's (was) a flat tappet hydraulic. Vall, I haven't done anything since I pulled the valve cover including pulling the other one. No, the adjusters had not backed off. When I rotated the errant cylinder pistons up to TDC all of them had the push rods sitting way low hence the huge gap between the rocker and valve stem. I've never had a cam go flat before but I have worked on motors that did so I'm familiar with the symptoms. I run Valvoline racing oil in it, which does contain Zinc, but maybe I should have used a Zinc additive also or one of the other type additives like Pro Long that supposedly do some kind of molecular bonding to the metal surfaces that prevent the damage done on cold start ups.
I'm really disgusted with myself because I do believe that if I had taken care of the vibration problem when I originally built the motor I would have been driving the car all this time instead of letting it sit for so many months (years) between running it.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Mario,
Guess I didn't do a good job of describing the issue, it's 2 different cylinders on the same bank. The chances of having 2 collapsed lifters is probably slim to none but I'm not ruling anything out until I drain the oil and open the filter.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yesterday Wasn't A Completely Shitty Day

About 15 minutes after I posted about the problems with my Speedway order on my Willys thread I got an email from a guy on Craigs List who wanted to buy the set of 'Big N Littles' I had for sale. He wanted them last night too so I met him, got the money and I'm ordering the new cam and lifters for my 53 today. :cool:

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Call Me Cheap!!

Hi Mario,
I'm going with the same cam I had as I was very happy with it over all. The exact same grind in a roller version is $962.64 vs. $264.00 for a flat tappet juice cam. I'm just not willing to pay $1000 for a cam; call me cheap. :cool:

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I've been keeping up with all the progress that you other members are making on your cars while mine more or less sit but there should be a change coming. The UPS driver delivered my new cam and lifters yesterday. So with the vibration problem taken care of with the installation of the right flex plate, after I install the cam I hope to be driving the car more or selling it. I know for sure it won't be sitting for years at a time again. If I keep it I'll definitely install the Gear Vendors unit or offer it for sale.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Since I'll be installing the new cam shortly I've done a bit of research on line as far as oil and oil treatments go. This is by far the most informative article I found. What I really found interesting is the information about Zinc in motor oil. Anyway, what's that expression about "an ounce of prevention......." I'm going to be using 8 oz. of prevention with Pro Long.
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-...s-prolong-engine-treatment-actually-work.html

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Health Update

Well, I had my second biopsy for my bladder cancer today, should get the pathology results next week. Definitely got to get the shit done on the cars on the off chance I need to sell them. I hope to get the cam in the 53 this weekend and the Willys to the sand blaster next week; the way shit seems to be going for me lately though, who knows. :cool:

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Mario,
Thanks for the inquiry. What's that old saying, "one photo is worth a thousand words"; I'll let the attached photo answer your question.
The plastic wrapped part on top is a new drivers side window regulator for my Ford work truck. Yeah, I'm right-the-fuck on top of nothing..............

Attachments

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
Good Things Come To Those That Wait

Well, along with the GASSERS 4 event being a good time it also proved to be rewarding in a parts acquisition. I've been looking, waiting, looking for a pair of 15 X 4 Torque Thrust wheels with the spokes that are peaked, not rounded for ever. I've found a couple pair of magnesium wheels but I don't think magnesium wheels on the street is the smartest thing to do, pot holes, curbs, ruts etc, plus the sellers wanted a kings ransom. I've got the 15 X 4 1/2 American Torque Thrust D wheels that I ran for a while but never really liked so I put the Ansen front runners back on; more period correct. While I was at the show there was a car with the wheels I wanted and I commented to the owner how badly I wanted a pair and how many years I'd been looking. The dude told me he had a pair of 15 X 5 but the problem was they had a 5 1/2" bolt pattern. I said so what, how much did he want for them. He said make him an offer, I said $175 and he said sold. I went and picked them up today. What I really love (besides the price) is that the spokes haven't been painted so I don't have to go to the expense of having the wheels sand blasted.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
I even have a pair of 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 adaptors that I had previously purchased for another project years ago. Like Mario, I went up into my parts storage above my garage and dug them out. The only thing I need to do is get new tires. I'll be selling my set of Torque Thrust D Wheels, 16 X 8 1/2 rears, 15 X 4 1/2 fronts, 4 1/2" bolt pattern, both with good tires, lug nuts, center caps and Gorilla locks Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle
(if anyone is interested feel free to contact me) and that should more than pay for the new tires. I may even end up selling the 15 X 4 slots I have on the car now.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
So, I had a few extra dollars and thought I'd get the new tires for the rims I purchased. I'm at my local tire shop yesterday as the dude is breaking down the first rim and it didn't look right. I told him to wait a minute while I measured the width. Turns out they're 6" wide, not 5". I say to myself, "self do you want to go ahead and have the tires mounted and not be completely happy or take the rims over to Eric Vaughn and have him narrow them to the width I want. I had waited a long time (years) for a pair of the old mags with the spokes that are peaked, not rounded so I said I'm going to get what I want now and not wait until later and redo it. So I had the guy break down the other rim and drove over to Monrovia, about an hour away, where Eric has his shop, aluminum rims are all he does, and he said no problem cutting them down to 4". So, with the great price I got on the rims and Eric charges $150 per rim to narrow I'll have the rims I've wanted for yeeeeaaaars for a total cost of $475. For a pair of 15" X 4" old style mags I think that's a great deal.
I lived in Duarte, the sister city of Monrovia, for years. I found out about Eric a long time ago from Don Blair (Blairs Speed Shop in Pasadena) when a buddy of mine was building a salt flats car and needed some wheels modified and Don told us to go see Eric, this dude's an artist.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Shared information is always good Tom. One of the few good things left about living in So Cal is the close proximity to just about anything you want or need. Erics' shop is off the Myrtle Ave exit ramp on the 210 freeway about a mile up from the freeway.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Wheels Are Ready

I got a call from Eric today letting me know that my wheels are done. He said they came out great and are right at 4" wide!!!!! FINALLY I'll have the pair of the wheels I've wanted for decades that are no longer made and next to impossible to find. Now I'm really, really glad I didn't plunk down the $2500 dollars for the pair of magnesium 15" X 4" mags that came up on ebay last year; plus they had the flat spokes which I never really liked. What's even better is that today I got a $260 settlement check from a class action law suit against a dog food manufacturer (I buy just about everything from Amazon including my dog food so I was able to go back through my purchase history and print out proof of purchase invoices to submit with my claim) and a buddy I gave one of my jobs to stopped by to give me my 10% referral fee for the job so the cost of the wheel modifications isn't really coming out of my pocket plus there'll be enough left over to pay for about half of the new tires. So now along with the set of big n little Torque Thrust D wheels and tires I want to get rid of I have a pair of 4" X 15" slotted mags with new tires I need to sell.
I'll post some photos of the wheels before I get the new tires mounted so you guys can see Erics work.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts