Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I use to own a 1953 Ford Mainline...took the 215cid out after it grenaded and installed a 223 out of a Ford Galaxie, milled head.. decked block.. bigger valves.. offenhauser dual intake.. split manifold.. Miss that car.. '53 was 1st year for overhead valve and last year for flat head I believe.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Don't recall where I read that Steve, but I've always used rubber or urethane trans mounts, and didn't "test" this theory myself to see if a solid trans mount would work?
I think a solid mount will eventually crack the transmission case unless you have a trans cross member that flexes considerably. A solid trans mount has no advantage. All the engine torque is transfered through the solid engine mounts / engine plates.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nice terminal grid work. How do you like that Magneto for street driving? Does it foul the plugs.. just curious because I thought Magneto's only work efficiently at high RPM.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It really sucks getting old, stay young Mario unless you're looking forward to joining the MEAN OLD BASTARDS CLUB with Lash and me :mad:
I got out there today to wire up the OD indicator light. The only real chore was all the getting under and out from under the dash; at 72 I'm definitely not the same limber person I used to be. Anyway the whole job is finally done, geezzzzzz. After I get it out on the road and play around with the split shifting and try out the OD on the freeway I'll do an update. View attachment 107787

To answer the magneto question. I've always liked mags and have run them for decades; I also run a Vertex mag on one of my Harleys. View attachment 107788
The only what might be considered a down side is that there is no timing retard function, so at low rpms to accelerate you need to down shift and bring up the revs. As for efficiency the great thing about them is that as the rpms' increase so does the voltage. Another benefit is that if you have a weak battery or bad alternator it doesn't matter because the mag generates its own power and you will get to where you're going; plus they're bad ass looking. As for fouling plugs it's sort of strange, every once in a while when I start the 53 the #1 plug has fouled but bringing it up to a few thousand rpm it cleans itself.
Reason why I asked because I too think they look badass! I have a Mallory UniLite HEI but really want a Magneto with a Summers Brothers front mount relocation... But not in the budget right now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Cragar SS, Slot Mag and Torque Thrust are my favorites.. Really depends on the car whether a bumper looks good or not .. for example I think some
Henry J's look good with a bumper some don't. I guess stance has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
They are a little odd, but the simple horizontal bars don't look that bad to me. It's the outer perimeter chrome strip that is located further out near headlights and turn signals that looks odd to me. I always figured I I built one I'd leave that off, just so it doesn't draw your eyes to that chrome strip. It's like they built it thinking of a bigger grille, and then made a smaller grille and an adapter to size it down.
I think I'm going fab up an aluminum grille with the dimple holes eventually, have even thought of using a reproduction '53 Corvette grille insert.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Home Depot has some that I thought about using. I believe it's for screen doors, but looks more like something you would see in a church were you confess your sins.. lol
Let me see if I can find a picture. Can't find it anymore.. I looked at all the custom car grille mesh and can't find anything close to how much I like 58 ford grille mesh. This is close as I found. What diameter holes are in the 58 ford grille. Really digging the 58 grille.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts