Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just recently became aware of this site. I've been a gasser guy since the mid 60s. My 53 has a fresh +.030 428, Dodge I-beam (big brakes) in front, a Mopar 8 3/4" (also big brakes) with 4:56 gears and a full spool in back, it has 16x10 American Torque Thrusts in back and 15x4 American Torque Thrusts on the front.
I've also got a 41 Willys pick up with a SBC that's about 60% done. The bad thing is it's in storage because I don't have room in my garage.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Wow, that is definitely a worthy participant here. Nice ride. Love the engine. I've always had a soft spot for cross-rams. I like the horn button also.

Any shots of the Willys?

Mike

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Welcome to the site. That's an awesome Ford. The big block looks great. Fills that large engine compartment well. Lots of power too, I'll bet. Show us your Willys when you get a chance. Humm......well, I mean your pick-up. :)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
LOVE or HATE Cross Rams

...... I've always had a soft spot for cross-rams. Mike
I have a "cross ram" that has been hanging on the workshop wall for a LONG TIME!!!!

Hope to use it one of these days.

A GREAT nostalgic piece. :cool:

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Sbauman2. I've mentioned this before since you are new. Back in '66-'67 when I was 14-15 I worked in a gas station across the street from my house. There was a local guy, last name of Frost, (always thought that was a cool last name) that had what I believe was a '53 or possibly a '54 Crown Vic tinted glass half roof Ford. To this day I would love to have that car. He did not have a straight axle under it but it was lifted as high as a stock type suspension would allow. He was supposedly running a side oiler 427 FE but I don't remember if that was rumor or fact. BUT. He went to college about 24 miles away and would fill up with gas almost every morning. I worked early before school (and after school, and closing) but he would come in and leave the car idling and with out an exaggeration at all, it literally shook the windows. Those being my precar days, I was heavy into motorcycles. But that car and a ride in a friends built 375 horse 396 SS Chevelle really dragged me into cars. And I never looked back. Your '53 brings back those great feelings so I really thank you for that. I always kept an eye out for a Crown Vic with the glass roof but I have never seen one since his. His was also a dark Forest Green with dark center Torq thrusts or a like wheel. With the dark green of the glass roof it was really striking. Can't tell I liked it can ya, huh?? Heh. MArk L

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm still into bikes; I've got 2 Harleys in my garage, that's one of the reasons for no room for the Willys. I think probably everybody has a particular experience that really hooked them. For me (I was 15) it was the car the dude that was dating my older sister had. It was a red 39 Chevy Coupe. It had if I remember a simply badass 421 Olds with dual quads, fenderwells, up in the air, etc. The one thing I remember was when he took me for my first ride. We went to the end of the street, he turned it around, straightened it out, pulled out a handle from the dash (a pressure valve for the hydro he was running) and told me to hang on. He could have given Jungle Jim Liberman lessons on how to do a burn out. That car lit those tires up FOREVER; and I was forever changed......... I've included a few photos of my hot rod Harley. My other is just a basic black 103 inch bagger.

Sbauman2. I've mentioned this before since you are new. Back in '66-'67 when I was 14-15 I worked in a gas station across the street from my house. There was a local guy, last name of Frost, (always thought that was a cool last name) that had what I believe was a '53 or possibly a '54 Crown Vic tinted glass half roof Ford. To this day I would love to have that car. He did not have a straight axle under it but it was lifted as high as a stock type suspension would allow. He was supposedly running a side oiler 427 FE but I don't remember if that was rumor or fact. BUT. He went to college about 24 miles away and would fill up with gas almost every morning. I worked early before school (and after school, and closing) but he would come in and leave the car idling and with out an exaggeration at all, it literally shook the windows. Those being my precar days, I was heavy into motorcycles. But that car and a ride in a friends built 375 horse 396 SS Chevelle really dragged me into cars. And I never looked back. Your '53 brings back those great feelings so I really thank you for that. I always kept an eye out for a Crown Vic with the glass roof but I have never seen one since his. His was also a dark Forest Green with dark center Torq thrusts or a like wheel. With the dark green of the glass roof it was really striking. Can't tell I liked it can ya, huh?? Heh. MArk L

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Nothing impressed me more as a kid than a car that could fry the tires! I remember when I got my first V8 car and could take it out on a backstreet and try a burnout. I was pretty pumped, even if it was a pegleg! :)

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's been on going for 10 years. Almost every part on this car has been replaced the most recent being the 428 I built and installed last summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
heh heh, i've a feeling i'd have to sell a few things first...

you know it's funny, i have pics of this car hanging in my shop for inspiration/reference for my 53 build!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Valls mention of rain in his "project progress" report inspired me to contribute. Instead of adding this to the threads I did on modifying the BBC fenderwell headers or the twin electric fan install I thought I'd scroll back to my very first post when I found the site and add this post to that thread. As I've said in a couple prior posts I just haven't been motivated to do a damn thing on either this car or my Willys pickup. Well, my cousin got fed up with my lazy ass and he's coming down to kick me in the ass so I can swap out the correct 428 flex plate and also put in the new Hughes converter. Wouldn't you know it, he's getting here tomorrow and rain and showers are on their way for the next two days. Hey, when it rains it pours right.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Well thank your cousin for me.... so I didn't have to come down there and put your ass in high gear.......lol

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Yeah what he said.......put your gear in... in whatever. Get under that cool car and swap that flex plate will ya......:)

1 - 20 of 365 Posts