Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

As I have never had experience with running electric fans.......I'm trying to decide if I need to run a fan shroud. I notice most electric fans on the market come with kits (straps) for attaching directly to the radiator. I've had a friend at the local salvage yard looking for a set-up that may work for me but he's not finding anything with a shroud that will fit my application.
The issue I face, naturally, is space between the body and engine. So.....I need to make a decision before I start attaining parts.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
If there's room I'd go shroud, and puller too. Sometimes room dictates a pusher, and sometimes no shroud. But if at all possible I'd do a puller and a shroud. I'm not running either on the Austin, and lack of space dictates that I couldn't. My front grille and sheetmetal really trap the air creating a sort of shroud when the frontend is closed, but I would love to have a tiny bit more space. Mine is so tight that I had to JB Weld extra aluminum on each side of the radiator side tanks to keep the frontend from rubbing through the tanks! And my radiator is only 16"x18" with two 1" rows.
The shroud doesn't really do much or anything at cruise speeds, but it makes a huge difference at idle when stuck in traffic. Mine runs cool even at 90+ degree weather cruising at 35 mph, but does get a bit warm if stuck for long periods in traffic and hot weather.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I knew I could count on you!

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
One thing that helps is to make the shroud two piece. Trying to wrestle a one piece shroud on a car that's tight, (or later work on a water pump) is a pain. I usually make them from inexpensive galvanized sheetmetal, and either split them top/bottom, or side to side.
The local sheetmetal shops will usually bend up a rectangle and then bend the edges up 90 degree for $10. Then I figure center for the fan and cut the shroud in half. After that I cut the hole for the fan in each half. I have the rectangle made a couple inches larger in the direction I want to split, and then I can overlap the two halves when I install it. The bend on the edges I have made long enough to allow for mounting and spacing off the radiator.
I mount mine with tabs that I pop rivet or bolt to the shroud. I hate those plastic ties that mount the shroud or fan to the radiator core, as I've seen the cores damaged trying to push them through, or later as they vibrate or sag. I mount my fan to the shroud, or radiator, but not to the core. My Austin's fan is mounted to the frontend, and tilts open with the frontend. I can't run the engine a long time with it open, as there's no cooling then.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Vall. Very good information. I've seen some commercial shrouds 1/2" deep and some 1 1/2" deep. Is that a consideration, other than space available?

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
The deeper they are the better the air moves, but more than 1.5" isn't neccessary. If the shroud is too close to the radiator it blocks/deflects air, and doesn't let it pass through easily. But a big consideration is where the fan is located. The fan needs to be right in the opening on a mechanical fan, so the blades are half in and half out. On electric fans they just need to mount to the shroud and pull.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The deeper they are the better the air moves, but more than 1.5" isn't neccessary. If the shroud is too close to the radiator it blocks/deflects air, and doesn't let it pass through easily. But a big consideration is where the fan is located. The fan needs to be right in the opening on a mechanical fan, so the blades are half in and half out. On electric fans they just need to mount to the shroud and pull.
Thanks Vall! Now to search out the right parts to fit the bill.......:)

·
Registered
922 Posts

Here's the shroud I made for my '36. It goes 3/4 around so it's easy to install and work around. I thought I'd have to make a screw on segment for the bottom, but it works great as is. Really helps keep the temp down in traffic and slow cruises.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Gary. That looks really good. I like the neat, clean appearance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts