·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No such animal!!:confused:

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Really? Take a look at old gassers like Stone-Woods and Cook, Big John Mazmanian, etc. They all were show quality cars, and in some cases were entered in, and won shows. But they won a ton of races too! You can build a show quality car, and still be a competitive gasser. My Austin isn't in the same category as SWC, but it won "Best Nostalgia Hotrod" at the Portland Roadster Show a few years ago.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know what I mean. Those cars were race cars first. Real gassers go racing.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Not necessarily. Remember the old Orange Crate? Bob Tindle built it as a show car, but with all the right parts to race. After a year on the show circuit, he took it out drag racing, and it was class winner most races it entered.
Yes, real gassers go racing, but are our gassers we build today not real? I hope I didn't spend all that time making my gassers street legal, and hopefully nice looking, only to find out they're not "real" because I only race them occasionally.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The "Orange Crate" was an altered, So it doesn't qualify. It was built as a race car. And actualy raced first, then turned into show car and raced again. Pre '66 gassers had to be street legal. Full interiors, lights that worked. The whole nine yards. Your car and my car for the moment, qualify as pre '66 gassers. Small engines and no blowers.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I still can't buy off on the thought that there's no such thing as a show gasser. Since I have photos here of the Stone Woods and Cook Willys in a car show and winning first place trophy. If you get a copy of Larry Davis' book, "Gasser Wars", he covers that subject well. He tells of many top Gas Class cars being show quality, and able to still win big races and car shows.

And yes, Bob Tindle's Orange Crate was indeed an altered. But it's a great example of a car that was a top show winner, and a top winner at the race track. Since Bob was a big deal here in the Portland area with his Tindle's Motors lot, we often made a trip by his place just to see what might be there for sale. I remember as a small boy when my dad and my brothers and I all stopped by to see the Orange Crate sitting out front on display. The Orange Crate made very few passes down the strip when it was first completed. But no question it was a show quality build, regardless of it's race heritage. But altered or gasser, there were plenty of show quality cars running in the Gas Class in the 1960's.
By chance the Orange Crate is back in this area again! The new owner is just across the river in Vancouver, Wa. and it was in the Portland Roadster Show again last March.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
But they were all build as race cars first. Show came later. Except maybe the "Undertaker". Which was built as a show car and then raced. SWC cars were always built as race cars first. Typical with the show. Maz car. Race car first. Just look at early pix. Some may not come up of the Willy's. But the Austin do, and they aren't real pretty. Not junk, but not show car.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I guess you wont be convinced that many of those cars were built to show quality race gassers right from the start. The fact they were almost exclusively raced, or rarely in shows, doesn't change anything. They are the type of car that is thought of when someone refers to a gasser as a "show gasser". It's simply a gasser that is or was nice enough to win a car show if it was entered. We can argue which came first all day, but it doesn't change the facts.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Basicly your saying the same thing I am. Like I said. No such animal. Except new cars now.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I remember 'The Orange Crate' well. It was one of my favorite model kits to build as an early teen.
I'm with Vall on this one. There were to many purpose built gassers that could race one day and win a car show the next. How many awards for 'best paint' did the Prock & Howell 33 Willys win along with many, many races.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn what a hard model to build.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
You're right Scott, it was a hard kit to build and to this day I remember how disappointed I was with the finished car. It was my first attempt using a candy, Pactra Candy Tahitian Orange. I didn't realize that the candy was supposed to go in many fine coats. I remember spraying it like a regular basic color; just like the gold under coat. Not my best build, lol.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I remember my first candy adventure. It turned out like SHIT!! Testors purple with a silver under coat. Kept spraying and running. And the story goes on. Until the paint weighed more than the plastic.:eek::rolleyes::p:confused:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Really?

This is a show/race car its mine. It has a full interior, started life as a normal car. Its won top prizes in nearly every "car show" its been in. Its street legal, has no electronics to help launch it just my brain. My 62 Nova Gasser runs a Dart 434 stroker small block 200 4R trans and highly modified Ford narrowed 9" rear end. Of course in your eyes its a junk pile and an impossibility. I cant count the guys who came up against me and lost big trying. I would dearly love to come to your location with cameras and enough guys from this forum to see me make an example of you!

Its runs low 11's on the street and 10's at the strip. Holds a nice wheelie in first gear and when its parked it gets swamped with on lookers every where. Notice its at a Gasser car show in El Segundo. I would bet you that each one of the owners of the beautiful cars on display at the show disagree with your assessment of our cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
without the show cars there would be no aftermarket industry for us. in the 50's - 60's almost every race car was a show car. that's how shows got started.
many old gassers retired to be show cars and even more were built show quality to start with.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
The "show gassers" were built to run hard, and be huge attractions in the pits and at local car shows. The builders spent as much time making them pretty as they did making them fast, and making them pretty wasn't an after thought, but done at the inception of the build.
Some of those old show gassers are as beautiful today as they were the day they were built! It's those types of show quality gassers that brought the crowds in to watch them race. Had they been built plain, or no attention to paint, interior, or chrome; they would never have been as big a crowd pleaser as they were, and still are. I was always a huge fan of SWC and Big John Mazmanian's cars. They proved that a car didn't need to be bare bones to be a winner. Big John never built any car that wasn't capable of winning it all on the strip, or at a car show.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
You tell him Gary!! I'd say the gauntlet has been thrown down, big time. Did you ever hear anything back from the scammer who was trying to sell your car? I actually sent him an email that said "it's scum bags like you that prove that the Indians really did f--k the buffalo." I never got a response, hmmmmmm. :cool:

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
I saw the John Maz willys replica I presume and it was beautiful candy red. I was really impressed with it. Bones Balogh Drove it at age 88.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts