Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a shorty PG built by Rossler, only a few runs on it (7).
I was told it was rated to 1600hp (not sure about that, but i know it handled 950 blown horses very well in a dragster).

Can i easily rebuild it back to a standard length PG and use it in a gasser?
Or can/should i keep it a shorty?
Or should i sell it and buy a standard glide? (if so, what $$ can i get for my shorty??)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
My opinion, and you know how those are, would be to keep it and use it. You know it works well. You know you do or do not need to rebuild it. You probably are not going to have a lot of room under there to put a longer transmission anyway. But to answer your other question, you can buy a new rear tailshaft housing and shaft to convert it similar to what they do to the MOPAR 727 and Chevy Turbo transmissions. And if you sold it, not sure. A US price would not be really accurate for your location. Limited availability, shipping, etc could probably drive the price up a lot. Your call, have fun.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My opinion, and you know how those are, would be to keep it and use it. You know it works well. You know you do or do not need to rebuild it. You probably are not going to have a lot of room under there to put a longer transmission anyway. But to answer your other question, you can buy a new rear tailshaft housing and shaft to convert it similar to what they do to the MOPAR 727 and Chevy Turbo transmissions. And if you sold it, not sure. A US price would not be really accurate for your location. Limited availability, shipping, etc could probably drive the price up a lot. Your call, have fun.
Im a still a noob on american made transmissions and engines (well, im getting better on the engines after running the dragster for a while).
Then im going to keep it as is, and see if i can use it.
Now im curious to how its bolted into the frame? In the dragster it sits right into the rear axle with a very, very short shaft, so i guess thats all the support it needs. Different when using a long driveshaft/axle?
In one of my Anglias i believe there was a rear mount on the trans (TH350), but cant remember how it looked. Any pictures would help a ton :D

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Marius, it should have a flat mounting plate on the bottom side of the tailshaft. If not you could build a side support bracket for the transmission or a mid engine plate that they used between the engine and transmission. No pictures from me. But check some of the race car builder parts suppliers on line. When it was in the dragster, what supported the transmission?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the dragster its a mid engine plate between engine and trans as you described. Guess i can build something similar.
Thanks for the help Mike :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Do the same.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for my late reply...but yes, I will try to set it up with the shorty :)
However, never ending story - im new to this, and now i dont know exactly what kind of yoke i must use.
Is it just the number of splines that counts? Or is it more options i need to consider - like length, thickness... etc ?
I assume this is just some kind of yoke that slides into shaft in the transmission.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Me and a pal is going to work on this tonight... We are bringing a TH350 to check if that fits the rear mount that is already in the car. If not, we will try figure out something for the shorty.
If the TH fits, i might use that or a prepped std PG, and consider rebuilding or selling my Rossler built PG later...

Btw; do you use rubber mounts for the trans rear?
A friend told about a friend of him that used to have a stiff mounted trans, but he cracked the housing several times due to extreme forces in the chassis when he left the starting line. Switched to rubber mount in the rear, and problem was solved.
But i see many builds that is bolted directly to the frame (without the rubber padding).

·
Registered
663 Posts
Depends on engine mounts. Motor plates? NO trans. mount at all!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts