Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week at night we made a storage rack for my sheet steel. In my old shop I had a dedicated room for this with a very large rack that held tubing and sheet steel. So now I down sized my rack and put it on wheel so I can move it around and clean behind it. I plan on building on the back side of the shop for a tool room and storage for shelving and maybe this rack also. I plan on the compressor going back there too.

Here the rack we built out of tubing and some angle iron, and I bent up some 18 gauge as sliders for the metal to be guided into the rack.

Now it has three compartments, one holds 20 gauge, the middle holds 18 and 16 gauge and the last holds a sheet of 10 , 11 , and a few sheets of 063 aluminum and some 20 guage stainless.

I only made the cart 4 foot long and 2 foot wide by 50 inches tall. When I cut my sheets I usually cut the 5X3 feet so I have a long and short piece. This is why they hang out the back side.

It also stores some small pieces on the sides.

And I labeled the front so there's no grabbing the wrong gauge.

The only thing is I should go up a size in casters from 4 inch to maybe 6 inch so it rolls a bit easier. :cool:

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Steve, you are organized, nice piece. Your shop always looks clean. I wish I lived closer, I would like to see your work in person because I know pictures just cannot show the quality or caliber that you turn out.
Thanks, Andy

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Great looking cart and very neat. Now add a metal gauge on a chain to verify the thickness when putting into or taking out of the cart. :D I was at the local metal shop a couple days ago and those thickness gauges are pretty cool, almost looked like a plug gap tool.

I need a room to store all the stuff on carts...

Mike

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys, Andy I wish we all lived in a ten mile radius :)
Mike I have that gauge, which sits on the back shelf of my shear, and was thinking of putting on the rack with a clip, and chain, so I can use it in other areas of the shop.
We were going to do a shop clean up and especially were the sheet metal had leaned against the walls. But other priorities cropped up, so we'll hit it a little each night, or I might go in today and get some done.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Nice job on the rack Steve. Everything should be on wheels to make things manageable. I try to do things like that. I put my Lincoln 225 arc on wheels. My black pipe bender and my home made sand blaster. Lots of times I need to rearrange things to make room and it makes things so much easier in a tight space.
Mario

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Nice work Steve! I like things on wheels too, and the bigger the better! Since I often roll my welder outside to work in the driveway, I replaced the tiny 2" wheels on it to make pushing it around much easier.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Nice "RACK" Steve--wink--wink--.

Mark L

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Steve, you probably thought of this. But, did you think about using shopping cart wheels? Or if you want really heavy duty huge wheels, check with the local trash recycler. When the dumpsters get crushed up enough, they throw out the box and save the wheels. Usually you can get them for free, or a small liquid beverage donation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts