Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and granddaughter took the granddaughter's car into a shop to have an alignment, and tire rotation done a few weeks ago. They went back to pick it up, and they handed her a bill for $170 and didn't align the car or rotate the tires!
Instead they did a vehicle inspection (which she didn't ask for) and wrote up a repair estimate totaling $3200! Of course her 1997 Mazda with 185,000 miles probably isn't worth maybe $500, so she asked me to look at the estimate. Huge red flags jumped out as I read down through the list. There were some legitimate items, but even those were all way overpriced!
Things like, needs upper and lower motor mounts. It has one mount per side, not upper and lowers. They saw I'd recently put new brakes and rotors up front, so they said it needed the rear brakes "cleaned and adjusted". Since they never pulled the rear wheels to rotate the tires, it seems they had and Xray to view inside the rear drums and know they were dirty. And how do they adjust self adjusting brakes? A look inside today showed fairly clean brakes, with 60% shoe lining, and adjusted perfectly.
On the list was a new power steering rack, and tie rod ends. Everything was dry and tight, so not sure what could be wrong there? Also said it needed a new catalytic converter, but it just went through EPA inspection last month with flying colors. And of course they had the usual maintenance items like lube, oil filter, transmission service and flush, brake system flush. And supposedly needed new tires at $278 each for a little 185-65-14 tire! I think the last set we put on it were about $65 each?
While I was changing oil and filter on engine and trans, I had to drop the crossmember that runs under the engine to access the trans. There's two studs there that have nuts underneath for the motor mount on the front side. Both nuts had been freshly removed and tossed away! Threads were still clean and shiny, so for some reason they removed them, and left them off. Maybe to let the engine shake so she'd be convinced the motor mount was bad?
By the time I was done with all the items it really did need as normal maintenance, I was so irritated with what I found, or didn't find that I wanted to drive it out to the repair shop, and have a long talk with whoever owns it. But I decided to not waste my time, and told my granddaughter to never return to the shop, and next time make sure to let me go along if she ever took it to a shop again. She laughed and said she found it a little funny that a shop would think she'd spend $3200 to fix up a $500 car.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
your a good grandfather. such a shame places take advantage of people. best not confront them but maybe report them to a better business bureau.

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking into filing a complaint with state consumer affairs, as I think charging $170 to do an unrequested repair estimate, but not doing the alignment or tire rotation is at least fraud alone. I wish they hadn't paid for it, and called me when they went to pick the car up. I would have driven out there and discussed the whole affair at the time and refused paying for services not requested, and charges for work not done.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
I'm looking into filing a complaint with state consumer affairs, as I think charging $170 to do an unrequested repair estimate, but not doing the alignment or tire rotation is at least fraud alone. I wish they hadn't paid for it, and called me when they went to pick the car up. I would have driven out there and discussed the whole affair at the time and refused paying for services not requested, and charges for work not done.
Did they pay cash or charge card?

·
Registered
7,501 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
My wife and granddaughter took the granddaughter's car into a shop to have an alignment, and tire rotation done a few weeks ago. They went back to pick it up, and they handed her a bill for $170 and didn't align the car or rotate the tires!
Instead they did a vehicle inspection (which she didn't ask for) and wrote up a repair estimate totaling $3200! Of course her 1997 Mazda with 185,000 miles probably isn't worth maybe $500, so she asked me to look at the estimate. Huge red flags jumped out as I read down through the list. There were some legitimate items, but even those were all way overpriced!
Things like, needs upper and lower motor mounts. It has one mount per side, not upper and lowers. They saw I'd recently put new brakes and rotors up front, so they said it needed the rear brakes "cleaned and adjusted". Since they never pulled the rear wheels to rotate the tires, it seems they had and Xray to view inside the rear drums and know they were dirty. And how do they adjust self adjusting brakes? A look inside today showed fairly clean brakes, with 60% shoe lining, and adjusted perfectly.
On the list was a new power steering rack, and tie rod ends. Everything was dry and tight, so not sure what could be wrong there? Also said it needed a new catalytic converter, but it just went through EPA inspection last month with flying colors. And of course they had the usual maintenance items like lube, oil filter, transmission service and flush, brake system flush. And supposedly needed new tires at $278 each for a little 185-65-14 tire! I think the last set we put on it were about $65 each?
While I was changing oil and filter on engine and trans, I had to drop the crossmember that runs under the engine to access the trans. There's two studs there that have nuts underneath for the motor mount on the front side. Both nuts had been freshly removed and tossed away! Threads were still clean and shiny, so for some reason they removed them, and left them off. Maybe to let the engine shake so she'd be convinced the motor mount was bad?
By the time I was done with all the items it really did need as normal maintenance, I was so irritated with what I found, or didn't find that I wanted to drive it out to the repair shop, and have a long talk with whoever owns it. But I decided to not waste my time, and told my granddaughter to never return to the shop, and next time make sure to let me go along if she ever took it to a shop again. She laughed and said she found it a little funny that a shop would think she'd spend $3200 to fix up a $500 car.
This kind of sleazy businesses are disgusting. I will not let any family member take their car to a shop unless I am there. It sure changes the QUOTE when a man is there. Thats totally disgusting that they would do that to anyone, let alone a young woman.

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This kind of sleazy businesses are disgusting. I will not let any family member take their car to a shop unless I am there. It sure changes the QUOTE when a man is there. Thats totally disgusting that they would do that to anyone, let alone a young woman.
Thanks. My feelings exactly. I doubt they'd do it if I would have been along when she took it in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can someone tell me how to upload some photos of a gasser truck my Daughter has for sale on her Estate Sale site? Pretty cool Ford Ranger Gasser race truck. Thanks! Rick

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Can someone tell me how to upload some photos of a gasser truck my Daughter has for sale on her Estate Sale site? Pretty cool Ford Ranger Gasser race truck. Thanks! Rick
Go to the classifieds and start a new thread (whatever is for sale). In the bar just below where you are typing is a pic thumbnail. If on your phone it will add photo you select from your pic library. Just save the post and done. Pretty easy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts