Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for pros and cons, of shackle location on front axle...I see some on front, and some on rear of springs. I was at Syracuse nationals last week, and saw a falcon with sliders on the rear of springs (like a boat trailer) the guy has owned it for 40 + years, and says it works great, no bumpsteer, runs down the road great, comes down from 2 ft wheelies clean. I'm fairly confused, and I am starting this project in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
My answer will probably just confuse you more. The shackles on my Willys are in the back, stock location. The shackles on my 53 are in the front, the build location. Neither have cross steering nor have any other issues.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Same here. One of mine is shackles in the rear, and one is shackles up front. You'll have more issues with length of shackles than you will with which end they are on! I never go more than 4" center to center on holes, and prefer 3". Taller shackles will allow the shackles too move sideways, which can make the front end feel mushy. Put them on whatever end you like, but keep the drag link level, kingpins at the correct 7 degree angle, and your toe in at 1/8"-1/4", and your car will drive down the road great!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have been mocking up a 40 ford front axle kit from speedway motors. The directions say you can put the shackles in front or back. I have seen them in stock locations on both sides; therefore I think it will work just fine on either side. I think it will also mater on how your frame curves up or if it is straight. Probably just mock it up and make sure your king pin angle is correct and you steering clears everything and go with what works for your application. The drag link angle is a big deal when it comes to bump steer, I remember fighting it with 4wd trucks back in the days.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Yes, the drag link angle, and kingpin angle are much more important than which side the shackles are located. I will add that I'd tend to put the shackles on the opposite side of the steering box. So if your steering box is behind the axle, I'd put shackles ahead of the axle. This way the steering wont push or pull against the shackles. Also keep shackles to a shorter overall length of 3" or so. Build up the mounting point, or more spring arc to attain stance. Longer shackles will tend to flex or lean more. And make your shackles out of sturdy metal! Those tiny little Speedway shackles and mounts are pretty puny. 1.25"x3/8" is much stronger.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Awesome info in this thread, thanks! This will help me when I go to set up the suspension on mine...

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
I have both up front and at the back as well. The only regret I had was on the one on the back. Tire space to the back of the wheel was close and as the spring would compress and go backward it would get even closer. I have to move the axle forward. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts